Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2014, 09:36 PM   #1

Help with exterior ladder attachment

Does anyone know how the ladder is usually attached to the coach? Is it just screws through the "standoffs" into a plywood backing? My concern is that I remove one of the support screws and I hear a nut fall into the bottom of the rear cap...

It's the rv in my sig that I'm working on if that helps any. Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2014, 09:49 PM   #2

Don't know about your Gulfstream but on the Tiffin there are small flanges that hold the ladder standoffs to the cap. The long screws through the ladder and standoff hold these parts to the flange. These flanges have sheet metal screws that screw into steel plates molded into the inside surface of the cap. If you use a power driver you can strip the screw hole so the sheet metal screw spins without tightening. A screw one size larger will work, but if you do it a second time, things may not work well. I always use a drill with the torque setting set as low as I can and still drive the screw all the way in.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:11 AM   #3

I too have sheet metal screws, no nuts to drop into the abyss. Recently replaced and went one size bigger on the screws that support the ladder. A few of the factory screws had last their bite.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:43 AM   #4

Thanks Pigman1 and gruelens, the coach is in storage but I'm going to check it out today.

I'll post what I find.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #5

When I had to replace a ladder on a former Tiffin they had installed a thin gasket like material between the flanges and the cap. I'd expect it wasn't totally necessary, and was just there to keep an installer from scratching paint when the ladder was installed. However, when I tried to get the flanges off, they were tightly stuck to the cap. I had to work some to get them off, but it's something you might find, so just be aware.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #6

I just returned from removing some hardware from the ladder to see how it's attached to the rv.

The ladder "standoff" or support post is screwed to a metal disk that has 4 holes spaced around the perimeter. This disk distributes the stress over a larger area of the rear cap. As Pigman indicated with his, mine also has some low density foam stuck to the coach side of this disk.

The bad news about the attachment is it seems to be 4 self tapping screws through the holes in the disk and into the fiberglass. I'll take a "super magnet" up tomorrow and see will stick in the area of the holes.