Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #1

Help with Make and model choice

Hello all

I'm in the market for a class A MH. I would like something in the 32-37' range. I am leaning toward the Vortec 8.1 with the workhorse and Allison transmission. Year models between 2001 and 2006 seem to be in my price range. I would like to know what are the popular models. Most of the time I will be cruising with just my wife and dog but will have the occasional family trip with a couple more passengers. What manufacture is considered the Cadillac of the bunch. I'm looking for the top 2 or 3 makes. I would rather pay a little more for an older quality make than a shiny newer one that is not as solid.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
Hello all

I'm in the market for a class A MH. I would like something in the 32-37' range. I am leaning toward the Vortec 8.1 with the workhorse and Allison transmission. Year models between 2001 and 2006 seem to be in my price range. I would like to know what are the popular models. Most of the time I will be cruising with just my wife and dog but will have the occasional family trip with a couple more passengers. What manufacture is considered the Cadillac of the bunch. I'm looking for the top 2 or 3 makes. I would rather pay a little more for an older quality make than a shiny newer one that is not as solid.
WELCOME to iRV2.com. Glad you joined and posted. I'm guessing you'll get plenty of replies to this question.

IMO, you should be looking for a Newmar Mountain Aire gasser (MACA), or a Tiffin Allegro BAY, or perhaps a Fleetwood Pace Arrow. Those are the top three, but many owners would drop the Pace Arrow and put the National RV "Dolphin" there.

The 8.1L and Allison means you are also requiring a Workhorse W series chassis, which I think is your best choice.

Happy Shopping! Take a look at the iRV.com classifieds.
Ed

Old 10-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #3

I don't have any information to offer but welcome to the forum! We too are searching for a motorhome to buy! Head is swimming with information and nearing overload! Good luck in your decision. My theory is that what ever a person decides is the right decision at the time!
TeresaOwen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #4

Nose rider,I have the 8.1 and Allison in my 2006 Pace Arroow 37c and I love it .It is much cheaper to maintain and fuel is cheaper,we have towed all over the country over mountains out west in traffic and so forth and I average about 7.3 mpg.The workkhorse chassis is a good.Hope this helps one and has served me well
Old 10-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well as you can see in our signature you can probably guess what I would suggest. My only suggestion to you is that if you do decide on the MACA, look at a 05 or newer on the W24 chassis. It will have a bit more carrying capacity and a better braking system. It still has the 8.1 mated to the Allison transmission. What a great combination. Now we're not displeased with ours and it works out great for us, I'm just saying had I known a little more when we purchased it I may have opted to find what I suggested. Next in line would probably be the Tiffin, Winnebago and Fleetwood. Good Luck in your search and hope you find the coach that is just right for you.

By the way Welcome to the forum and glad you joined us.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I just finished the same search. Looked for about a year. Finalist coaches for us was Tiffin, Winnebago Adventurer & Newmar. All three were in great shape.

Got the Newmar and very satisfied. Not quite as quiet or smooth as the diesel version, but pretty close. I second the suggestion of looking for the W24 chassis.

And yes, I am biased!