Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #1

Help With Roof Identity Crisis

Hiya!

As simple as this should be....I'm having trouble identifying my roof type and hope someone can help. I've looked through my manual, other Raven's being sold online in their description, comparing my roof to their roofs (they all look similar - even with the two bands where the roof meets the sidewall) - however, no confirmation on my roof type.
The Evidence - Inside:

Inside each of the three roof vents there is a hard fiberglass-like material that sticks out here and there and was cut a bit uneven. Itís a medium beige color and is very hard (can't move or flex it) right here as itís sandwiched between the roof vent and the metal frame of the roof. Assume: Fiberglass.

In the living room above the rotted wood area a mouse chewed up to this layer. When I lightly press on it it's flexible. When I try to scratch it with a screwdriver I either can't get the base of spray foam off of there, or it's the same color as the spray foam as I can't produce a different appearance when I scratch at it. I remember light kinda coming through there, but I'll have to look again tomorrow (it's been raining for days) if this mystery is still unsolved. Assume: Fiberglass OR...that is not the roof...

The Evidence - Outside:

The roof is made of three panels connected together with two seams on the roof. The two pieces go together like the diagram below. In the dip of the orange side, there are a few areas of rust that we've found when we pulled out and replaced some of the caulk. Assume: Metal

- There are scratches from branches or other objects over the years and there is a rust on those scratch marks. It appears that there's only one coat of a paint on top of the material. When I scratch it on the side or in the center there's a shiny metallic like aluminum foil substance under the "paint". Assume: Metal. Caveat: Guy at the RV dealership told me that metal roofs don't CURVE over like that, so he didn't think it was metal.

Please help. =)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Well aluminum and fiberglass don't rust so you may have answered your own question. Why a guy at an RV place would think metal can't be curved is beyond me. I own a sheet metal fabrication shop and we do it all the time. Have you tried a magnet?

Old 10-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #3

So smart! Magnet will go on first thing in the AM! Thank you!
Old 10-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #4

Magnet worked! Used my Shark Week bottle opener and stuck it to the roof in several different places just to make sure I wasn't near some framing, and then took it inside on the part the mouse chewed away from the ceiling and it stuck right to it and I can see that the frames are no where near that space.

Thank you again for providing the solution to solve this mystery (that so shouldn't have been a mystery considering how long I've owned it! HA!).

I'm so grateful for this site and community!

Lorelei
Old 10-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Glad I could help. You are lucky to have a metal roof as they are easily repairable when the time arises. good luck with repairs.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:05 AM   #6

Thank you! =)

Tags
roof