Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Help With Tools

Need some Ideas to better organize the tools in the MH.
Thanks in advance!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I have a couple of these in my bays to store tools.

RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used a compartment right behind the right rear duals to install sliding drawers. the top one is filled with small compartments to hold spare parts, washers, bulbs, batteries,nuts/bolts, zip ties,batteries whatever etc, The bottom three drawers hold my tools, organized, in one spot and available just by opening the compartment.

The negatives; there they are in one spot, the work is not, the compartment cannot be used for any other purpose, if you use the same tools at home then you need to unload (I do not)., the tools are heavy and you cannot move them around to adjust weight.

I cite the negatives but I have found this very handy and organized---which was the question.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I carry a Craftsman tool box in one of the bays. The size and type depends on what tools you carry. I actually have two boxes rather than one large one because I choose to keep the common-use tools in one so I can pull it out easily for a job, while the second one has more specialized stuff I like to have with me but don't use often.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #5

Tools

We keep a Large Craftsman tool box like RVTHERE in the compartment by the entry door and also have a parts bin unit, gloves, electric drill, etc. in that compartment. Oil, antifreeze, and other lubes and fluids are kept in a small rear compartment near the engine. When we go full time in July I will have to figure out what we can't live without and tools are not the only priority. DACOTAH
Old 02-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #6

We do not carry a lot of tools (I am too lazy to work very hard at anything) but we have the basics. Ours are divided into four small groups. One small plastic box with screwdrivers, pliers, and miscellaneous small tools is kept inside the motorhome under the passenger seat. One toolbox (portable) containing some of the larger, less frequently used wrenches, etc. is in a storage bay. We also have a third box with plumbing type tools in a small box in the wet bay. Electrical tools are stored with the inverter bay.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tools? We gots tools!

The thing with a motorhome is that you need pretty much every tool you own. I got a tool bag at CW into which I put everything I might need. (It's heavy too!)

Woodworking tools.
Electrical tools.
Automotive tools (metric and SAE)
Collapsible lug wrench
BIG sockets for waterheater maintenance and lug nuts

I also carry a portable generator (just because I had it and it needs to run)
A compressor, in addition to the on board one.
Spare connectors, Electrical supplies, clamps, wire, and at least 1 full roll of duct tape!

My DW hates buying a new tool on the road because I left one behind.

Muddypaws
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to M zoll
tool box

Hey,RVThere , what do you call that box, center box? from sear's
M zoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We picked up some Stanley organizers a while ago, something like these - 014708R - Stanley Deep Professional Organizer - we keep all the little things like the electrical connectors, washers, screws and stuff in them. Each box is for a specific type of job. Helps when you need to work on just electrical or you just need a screw then you just take the one you need for the job. We also have a corded and cordless drill, a dremel and at least one large toolbox. When we get back to the S&B we will be picking up more tools to keep with us.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #10

I guess you could say, it is kind of dependent on the type & year of M/H you have as to what all you'll need.
In my case, I have a 99 H/R gas & hardly have had any trouble with it so far, so not many tools needed at this time for it, but I'm still pulling a 8.5 X 24' enclosed tool box that I used for the two old 78 & 89 Georgie Boys I youst to have.
You have a carbed 454 Chevy or carbed 460 Ford, will need tools soon or later.

Shucks, needed a tire changed once, called NC Motor Club for help, time the service man got there, I was letting the jacks down putting her back on the ground & he wasnt but 10 miles away from me.
Neil
C-Leigh Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
M zoll - Here is the name of the Craftsman tool box:

Craftsman 26" Wide 3-Drawer Ball-Bearing GRIPLATCH® Middle Chest - Black

I have 5-drawer units but I can't seem to find them on the Sears website - only the 3-drawer. They stack one on top of the other.

I also labeled the drawers so I remember where tools are located.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #12

For me, the jobs are wherever on the coach you have an issue (or on a buddy's coach). So tools need to be ported to the job site.
1) install roll-out type trays int he basement for easy access, then
2) find sturdy plastic boxes for vertical storage of tools to arrange on the tray. I have some square plastic buckets, and a couple sturdy waste paper baskets. I get more tools into smaller footprint w/vertical storage. The buckets get heavy, but I make less trips from basement to the work that way.
3) for things I don't require too often, I keep a list in my phone of where I put them. Funny how that list grows, & now that remembering isn't as easy as it once was, how the list gets more useful year by year.
4) I keep one tool pack in the coach, wife calls it the "Man Purse." It contains all my specialty hand tools plus some general use tools needed in the house.
5) rectangular plastic parts bins have gotten better over they years, and work well for spares, crimp connectors, nuts & bolts. They also store vertically in the basement taking up little room for a lot of storage. Spare fuse sets I keep next to the respective fuse blocks.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a flip top tool box that I carry in the compartment behind the passenger front tire. The top side has two seperate see thru compartments to carry nut, bolts, assorted screws, sta-kons, well you get the idea. The lift out tray hold my larger sockets, open and box end wrenches and ratchets. The lowere compartment has screwdrivers, channelock plier, hammer, needle nose pliers crimpers, wire stripper etc. I also keep my color tape and nylon tie wraps in the lower section. I try to limit myself as weight gets to be a factor and only carry what I think I may ever use. If anything major breaks I won't be the one fixing it anyway. Has worked for me so far.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
I use a smaller red plastic tool box for the basic tools and screw drivers. My open wrenches and socket wrenches came in their own plastic carrying cases.

The small parts, nuts, bolts, fasteners, fuses etc. are in a two sided fishing tackle box. Filter wrenches and torque driver are carried in a larger see through plastic shelf box along with duct tape spare bulbs and other assorted stuff like spare wire. My digital voltmeter and accessories are in another small clear shelf box.

My dedicated tool boxes cost all of $30 over the past 30 years. All of the containers are portable to the work site whether inside or outside the rig.

I do my own service of the diesel engine and transmission and all the house repairs but I will not be rebuilding the engine or changing the tires on my trips. So the above gets me by. Usually I am near a hardware store if an emergency dictates other stuff.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote