Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2018, 07:28 PM   #1

Help with understanding Xantrex inverter

We have a 2003 Dolphin 35-ft with a Xantrex inverter. Can't find the operating manual. We've burned up a couple sets of batteries and need some help. Anybody got the time to help some very inexperienced seldom-travelers?
cmwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2018, 09:00 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a model number for your inverter?
Could it be a Trace Freedom inverter?
Are you doing lots of boondocking and running from your inverter/batteries?
How many batteries do you have and what are you trying to run on the batteries/inverter?

If an inverter is set up properly, you should not have to think about it.

I would get the model number and then download the manual for it and read it.
You can only run small loads on most of these inverters. That means the air conditioner will not run on it and the microwave probably should not be run on an inverter.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I would get the model number off the inverter and Google it for a manual! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:12 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum!
Old 10-19-2018, 02:03 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwil View Post
We have a 2003 Dolphin 35-ft with a Xantrex inverter. Can't find the operating manual. We've burned up a couple sets of batteries and need some help. Anybody got the time to help some very inexperienced seldom-travelers?
Need more info. Model number of the inverter/charger would help to help you.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:18 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If I remember correctly, on some Xantrex models you program what type of batteries you have (wet, gel, etc) so the unit charges the batteries correctly. I think I read in my manual earlier this year for my particular inverter/Charger (Xantrex freedom) that if you program in the wrong battery type the unit will charge the batteries incorrectly which can result in ruining the batteries.
FloridaCanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:53 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Our inverter burned up our batteries as well. I did some reading and found the temperature sensor that is placed between the batteries sometimes fails and over charges them. It was so bad on ours it peeled the paint off the walls of the battery compartment. I ended up just unplugging the sensor and not using it at all. It was worked great every since then. Also our RV is a 2004 so it m ay likely be a very similar model if not the same as yours. Hope this helps.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

What does "burned up batteries" mean? Actually caught on fire, or just "dead"?

An inverter can draw a lot of amps from batteries, and lead-acid batteries don't deal well with deep discharging. The "true deep cycle" batteries last the longest, but even those should be discharged no more tan about 50% of capacity. The more typical "marine/RV deep cycle) are even less resilient.

A rule of thumb is that a 120v device that draws 1 amp on shore power will draw 11 battery amps via the inverter. That's 10 amps for the voltage conversion plus an extra 10% for the power loss during the conversion. If you don't know the amps but have the wattage, amps = watts/volts. A 600 watt coffee maker draws 5 amps @ 120v, so that 55 amps (11x) from the batteries. It doesn't take long to run them down at that rate!

Please describe the Xantrex inverter model you have and the size of the battery bank (number and type of batteries). And what you have been running via inverter.

I've written a high-level article on RV battery choices. It's not real technical. Get a copy from this site FILES section at iRV2 - Choosing An RV Battery
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Once you get a model number, you can download the manual here:
Document Downloads
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, xantrex