Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #1

Help with water pump

Hey everybody... I'm new to the forum and new to finally owning my own RV (took 44 years). 1999 georgie boy pursuit 2601..25k miles and runs like a dream

Looking for some help to trouble shoot my water pump problem. My water pump died halfway through a shower last week and has not turned on since. Here is what I have discovered since:

1) I thought at first it was the switch because at the monitor board on my wall I found that my Battery level switch works, my water heater switch works however when I turn on my water pump switch not only does it not activate the water pump but the other two switches go dead! When I turn the water pump switch back off both other switches work fine again. I then unscrewed monitor from wall and switched the switches from the water pump and the water heater and the water heater is able to activate and turn on using the old water pump switch...however the water pump still does not turn on using the old water heater switch So now I know it is not a problem with the switch it self.

2) I could not locate any fuses to check that were specifically for the water pump. I checked near the covnverter fuse box and also the one in the front engine compartment.

3) I located what appears to be the water pump under the front headboard of my bed.

So my question to all of you is:

A: Is it easy to replace once with some basic tools?
B: Is there anywhere else I can troubleshoot before buying a new water pump and replacing it?
C: I found this on ebay for $60... do you all think it will work as a replacement?

Shurflo On Demand RV/Caravan water pump Brand New 12 volt, 3.5 gpm 45 P.S.I.

Thank you all in advance for any and all advice you can give me. Im willing to try anything before purchasing a new unit.
jojoboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
For what it's worth, I had a DC breaker pop that made my pump quit and my monitor panel that the switch is mounted on go dead. I don't know where the DC breakers are on your coach so hopefully someone else can chime in to help, but I wouldn't replace the pump until you check that out. Obviously your coach could be completely different but I wanted to throw that out there. Good luck.
memphisflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
If it went dead in the middle of a shower and had not had a problem before, it certainly could be a thrown breaker from overheating. Constant operation during shower could overwork the aging pump and overload the circuit.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:33 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions! I only saw one circuit breaker and that near the back of the coach next to the converter. They were all in correct position
Old 12-16-2014, 11:41 PM   #5

You might have a resistance in the power feed to the switch panel. Check voltage without pump turned on to switches. You should have power on one side of each switch. Turn on pump switch and check voltage again. If voltage drops off, check power curcuit for bad, corroded connection. If you have a battery drill with a 14v battery you can jumper drill battery to water pump to check operation.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:47 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First: Every RVer needs two tools, (Well many tools but these two should be included) one is a Digital Multi-Meter (Volts/Ohms/Amps and possibly Frequency and a few other things, one of mine does temp, and capitance/inductance and one or two other things, but you do not need those).

The second is a test light, this is an ice pick like thing with a wire coming out the handle (Which is clear or colored plastic) and a light bulb inside the handle.

Locate the power lead on the water pump and pick it, (Ground the clip) if the light does not come on the problem is NOT the pump (NOTE test on a known good 12 volt source)

I have had several failures where the light found the problem swiftly and easily but a volt meter showed good power.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #7

Where do you buy a reliable test light? I used to sell tools and more often than not the test light was defective instead of no power hence why I have a digital vom meter.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Even if the circuit breaker appears to be in the proper position you should click off and back on. Sometime they appear on and they are not. Its an easy thing to try....
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post
Even if the circuit breaker appears to be in the proper position you should click off and back on. Sometime they appear on and they are not. Its an easy thing to try....
Yes I will try that this weeknd and I'm going to get a voltage tester as well! Thanks for your help everyone and I'll post my results
Old 12-17-2014, 10:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
First: Every RVer needs two tools, (Well many tools but these two should be included) one is a Digital Multi-Meter (Volts/Ohms/Amps and possibly Frequency and a few other things, one of mine does temp, and capitance/inductance and one or two other things, but you do not need those).

The second is a test light, this is an ice pick like thing with a wire coming out the handle (Which is clear or colored plastic) and a light bulb inside the handle.

Locate the power lead on the water pump and pick it, (Ground the clip) if the light does not come on the problem is NOT the pump (NOTE test on a known good 12 volt source)

I have had several failures where the light found the problem swiftly and easily but a volt meter showed good power.
Thank you! I remember that tool it looks like a screwdriver with a light on the end. I'll get one this weekend
Old 12-17-2014, 11:51 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had the same problem last year. It was a fuse.

You need to check the voltage at the water pump.

Buying a new pump won't solve a thing if there is no power going to the pump.

If you have a 12 volt battery you can temporally apply 12 volts to the pump and see if it runs. If so, then you know the pump is good.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
Where do you buy a reliable test light? I used to sell tools and more often than not the test light was defective instead of no power hence why I have a digital vom meter.
I have a snap on test light that has lasted 20 years. also a snap on multimeter.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Had the same problem last year. It was a fuse.

You need to check the voltage at the water pump.

Buying a new pump won't solve a thing if there is no power going to the pump.

If you have a 12 volt battery you can temporally apply 12 volts to the pump and see if it runs. If so, then you know the pump is good.
Arch,
Thank you for replying. Where is the fuse? I looked back near the converter and no pump specific fuse there in the fuse box and also in the motor area fuse box an none there either. I could not find an inline fuse either... However I did not follow the wires the whole way.. Only where I had easy access.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:44 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
The fuse for my water pump is right by the pump. But again when you get your test light to check for power to the pump you will know whether you have power to it or not.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water