Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
They are China bombs, beware. The last thing you should do is put your and your family's lives at risk with cheap tires. IMHO it's Goodyear or Michelin.
I have had several sets or Hercules tires on various trailers and trucks. The last set came on a 2004 FR Sandpiper fiver and they were made in the USA.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
mine are made in the good ole USA I believe from the Carolina plt
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:49 PM   #17

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
They are China bombs, beware. The last thing you should do
is put your and your family's lives at risk with cheap tires.
IMHO it's Goodyear or Michelin.
I must say, you sound like an insurance salesman with the doomsday talk and it won't be long before every tire is made in China or like place, no matter what the brand. For myself, I'm tired of paying for just a name and having tried both, I've been more than happy with the Chinese brands, so must ask how many have you installed and compared with running both on any of your vehicles for any length of time?
Back to the good old US of A, they just happen to be the ones that require all tires to meet certain specifications along with their DOT approval number on each and every tire sold in America. So are we to say that the so called high end tires are over and above these requirements, because our government standard is not only sub-standard, but downright dangerous. If there ever was such a thing, the Firestone scandal of some years back, took care of it, no matter who was really at fault.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
I must say, you sound like an insurance salesman with the doomsday talk and it won't be long before every tire is made in China or like place, no matter what the brand. For myself, I'm tired of paying for just a name and having tried both, I've been more than happy with the Chinese brands, so must ask how many have you installed and compared with running both on any of your vehicles for any length of time?
Back to the good old US of A, they just happen to be the ones that require all tires to meet certain specifications along with their DOT approval number on each and every tire sold in America. So are we to say that the so called high end tires are over and above these requirements, because our government standard is not only sub-standard, but downright dangerous. If there ever was such a thing, the Firestone scandal of some years back, took care of it, no matter who was really at fault.
Agreed. I am in need of 6 new tires, not for lack of tread but due to the age limit imposed by the manufacturer. I have Michelins now and they have 50 percent or more of their treadlife left. To replace those tires would be a cost of double the price for Hankooks or Hercules or 50 percent more for Sumitomos or the like.

Since we are saying age is a casal factor of tire loss wouldnt it make sense to buy cheap and dispose earlier? Im betting the Japanese or Chinese tires tread will last as long as the Michelins.

At any rate, its a $2200 vs $4800 decision.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
Agreed. I am in need of 6 new tires, not for lack of tread but due to the age limit imposed by the manufacturer. I have Michelins now and they have 50 percent or more of their treadlife left. To replace those tires would be a cost of double the price for Hankooks or Hercules or 50 percent more for Sumitomos or the like.

Since we are saying age is a casal factor of tire loss wouldnt it make sense to buy cheap and dispose earlier? Im betting the Japanese or Chinese tires tread will last as long as the Michelins.

At any rate, its a $2200 vs $4800 decision.
No argument for me and I'd go for the money unless proven otherwise. Yes tried and proven, in fact without any reasonable doubt. You won't have those big names on the sidewall to make you proud, however and won't have much to complain about for not buying quality, if they don't work out for you.
With your bet specifically on what will outlast, you'll get no takers here.
If you're bent on some kind of a name, then Hankook (S. Korea) has established a very good name for themselves, but will probably be more costly than the Hercules (China), that have had no real ills that I know of and did a 7200 mile US tour with a set of four on the rear, this past summer and probably have 10K miles on them by now. Let's face it, you can build anything cheaper in China and of the same quality, no doubt. Now, if down the road, a problem should come up with a tire manufacture, let's at least be fair and blame it on the company and not the whole country.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:37 PM   #20

I too am in the need for 6 new tires. Original 6 Goodyears G670's 275/70r22.5 with a date code of 1103 on an 04 coach with 25000mi. Been shopping around and decided on Yokohama RY103's for a deal of $3000 out the door, mounted, balanced, the works!. got prices of Geostars (china) $2419,Firestones $3403, Michelins $4788 and Bridgstones for $5720.

My take on hercules tires is I had 4 on my fifth wheel that all four had tread separation problems. I wouldn't do it.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
I have found hankooks for 275 each. Leaning that way. Spoke at length with a truck tire dealer and he sells China tires as well to offer a comparable cheap tire. He said the biggest issue they have is they can be very hard and sometimes impossible to balance. No warranty support either. For 50 more per tire going hankooks. He said they have a very helpful local rep if any problems do arise as well.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBS-POPS View Post
I too am in the need for 6 new tires. Original 6 Goodyears G670's 275/70r22.5 with a date code of 1103 on an 04 coach with 25000mi. Been shopping around and decided on Yokohama RY103's for a deal of $3000 out the door, mounted, balanced, the works!. got prices of Geostars (china) $2419,Firestones $3403, Michelins $4788 and Bridgstones for $5720.

My take on hercules tires is I had 4 on my fifth wheel that all four had tread separation problems. I wouldn't do it.
Overloaded? Under inflated? That kind of failure suggests something other than manufacturing problem.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:13 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
Overloaded? Under inflated? That kind of failure suggests something other than manufacturing problem.
Under inflated , no 85 psi all checked before every trip. Overloaded, don't think so but never weighed it. Toy box with only three quads in it. Treads came off on two but caseings never lost air. Have never had any other brand tire give me problems like these.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:30 AM   #24

OP, before buying tires off the internet, check around your area to see if the tire shops will mount tires NOT purchased from them. Where we live, there are only a couple tire shops that will mount tires not purchased from them. But if they do mount them and damage one, they will not replace the tires, that is on you. The other consideration is who will back up a tire if it goes bad, if you buy off the internet? By purchasing from a 'local' dealer you should also be getting some sort of support.
While we may pay a little more by buying local, I also expect a certain level of support.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
OP, before buying tires off the internet, check around your area to see if the tire shops will mount tires NOT purchased from them. Where we live, there are only a couple tire shops that will mount tires not purchased from them. But if they do mount them and damage one, they will not replace the tires, that is on you. The other consideration is who will back up a tire if it goes bad, if you buy off the internet? By purchasing from a 'local' dealer you should also be getting some sort of support.
While we may pay a little more by buying local, I also expect a certain level of support.
It only takes one shop for mounting the tires, which was right down the road from me and since I watched this hand operation of changing them out, I'm most sure they're wouldn't be much argument if they somehow damaged them. Thing is, the guy doing it, seemed to be very good at it and with knowing what he was doing.
As for tire warranties, this is usually the manufactures responsibility with a sales receipt and a local dealer won't do you much good, if you're on the other side of the country with a failure, unless you're going to haul it back again some months later and with maybe being on the road for this duration. If you should and most unlikely experience an reimbursed failure, your're still money ahead and I could just about buy another tire on Amazon, with the no tax savings, alone. This no tax thing, can't last forever, but for internet sales, the big box stores are joining in as well and so not to lose out altogether. Thing is, you will most likely do a store pickup and pay tax, but it does offer the convenience of doing a store return if you're not satisfied. I do like buying things like refurbished computers online from Walmart and like them much better than the new ones, regardless of price, but that's for another story that doesn't belong here.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:54 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
The Michelin 275 70r22.5 LRJ is the XZA2 Energy tire, highly recommended
by my tire expert. I have four on order. 495 thru FMCA.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #27

Quote:
The Michelin 275 70r22.5 LRJ is the XZA2 Energy tire, highly recommended
by my tire expert. I have four on order. 495 thru FMCA.
How do put them on order through FMCA? Do you mean that you put order through your tire dealer to purchase them through FMCA program when they become available, or did you order them directly through FMCA?
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:22 PM   #28

I wonder why anone would ask advice on tires on this forum becaus it jsut starts another argument and people don't pay attention to whatis said, otherwise they would'nt ask. You can go to about 20 different forums on tires. Here's what I have to say on the matter. "Here's an Archie Bunker Bronx Salute!"
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote