Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2016, 12:17 PM   #1
MPH

Location: Somewhere on the Rainbow. Fulltiming and lovin' it!
Hercules Tires?

Does anyone run with Hercules Tires (made by Cooper)? We need 6 new tires on the '04 Tiffin we're buying and the dealer is suggesting them at a cost of around $2300. I like the price, but know nothing about these tires.

Can anyone give me the scoop on Hercules Tires?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Got 'em, love 'em. I have the H-902 in 22.5. Bought from SimpleTire.com in Sep2014, shipped to and installed by my local Les Schwab dealer. Less than $2500 including shipping and installation with balance beads (love those beads too) for all six. Put over 10,000 miles on them, they handle and ride true and smooth, no complaints whatsoever. They make them I several sizes and load ranges, make sure you get the right ones for your application. You'll love them too I bet.

TonyMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:44 PM   #3
MPH

Thanks so much. That is great to know!
Old 04-22-2016, 03:55 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Got em on our Essex, time and mileage will tell the story in a few more years and miles to come.
FORTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:37 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Got 'em, love 'em. I have the H-902 in 22.5. Bought from SimpleTire.com in Sep2014, shipped to and installed by my local Les Schwab dealer. Less than $2500 including shipping and installation with balance beads (love those beads too) for all six. Put over 10,000 miles on them, they handle and ride true and smooth, no complaints whatsoever. They make them I several sizes and load ranges, make sure you get the right ones for your application. You'll love them too I bet.
Just started a new thread on Simple Tire. Did they furnish you with date codes prior to shipping?
Thanks
Old 04-23-2016, 03:09 AM   #6
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvarner View Post
Just started a new thread on Simple Tire. Did they furnish you with date codes prior to shipping?
Thanks
I asked for date codes on all 6 Hercules that are ordered for me. Told them I wouldn't accept anything older than 1216.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:10 AM   #7

Tires

Same deal, got them love them. 10,000 miles no problems. Half the price of others. Local dealer has been putting them one RVs for years without any problems.

Safe travels all
Old 04-23-2016, 08:43 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
I asked for date codes on all 6 Hercules that are ordered for me. Told them I wouldn't accept anything older than 1216.
Ditto. I talked to a real guy, and he gave me his name, and I told him I was concerned about date codes. He assured me they would be fresh, and they were about 9 weeks old when I got them. Really can't get much fresher.
TonyMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:45 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use a local tire shop, since we don't do tires at the dealership. The tire guy we use likes them, and thinks they are a good tire.
Brian W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:57 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

On the other hand, $2300 might get you a Toyo or a tire from another second tier tire maker. You didn't mention the size tire you need, but $400/tire (is that "out-the-door price?) is within the normal range for several brands and sizes. You just won't get pricey Michelin or GY G670 for that price.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:04 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am ordering Hankook AH12 tires at a tolal cost of $2249.28 (6) shipped but not installed. Thats for a 295/75r/22.5. Did a lot of research on Hankook and they get great reviews. Hope this helps
Rich
Old 04-23-2016, 10:28 AM   #12

Cooper/Hercules and Hankook did all get positive reviews by owners in my research. Seems more so for the Hankooks, but that just could have been the threads I read.

I also perceive regional preferences for different brands. Both of these brands seem to have more followings in the midwest and South. (Again, that could just be due to the posts that I read.)

I commented in another thread, especially for the Hankook AH12 (As that was the one I was considering, so know more about it.), that I feel they are great bang for the buck, and have good solid quality.

We just ended up putting on 6 out of 8 (Had to replace two tires on the road last summer due to pothole damage during the Michelin tire shortage. Ended up with 2 BF Goodrich ST230's. So we kept those two and they're on our Tags now.) Michelin XZA2 Energy. I changed tires size from 12R's to 295/80's 22.5 to get these tires. As LOL! Michelin has another shortage in my 12R size again, for the XZE or BF Goodrich ST230's. Was going to get more info on dates on the Hankook AH12's, when the Tire Manager rolled out the XZA2's with 0416 born dates. FMCA pricing $666.50 price, before tax and mounting. Still pricey, but the DW feels more comfortable on Michelin's, and the Michelin Rolling Resistance site shows they are over 20% higher efficiency over the replaced XZE's. The AH12's were not compared on this site, so I do not know how they perform compared to the XZE's.

Less then 500 miles on them, and still trying different PSI. As I drove them for two hours two days ago, they were all higher then I expect I'll run with them. But even at the higher PSI, the ride comfort was great, with I'd say a minimum of 30%, maybe as high as 40% improvement in ride comfort over expansion joints, road DOT's, and rough road surfaces. Very pleased.

Back to Hankook's AH12's, I have heard from several owners of heavy DP's that are very pleased with the performance and ride of their AH12's. And again, going to be a heck of a lot less expen$e then the Michelin's.

Best of luck on your final decision!
Smitty
Old 04-23-2016, 10:43 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Smitty, I think we have both reached the same conclusion but always nice to hear I am not doing something stupid LOL. I like Michelins too but really can't afford em. I am a member of FMCA and could get the discount but really won't consider the price difference even with the discount. Hope you get those tires "tuned" soon.
Rich

Tags
tires