Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2015, 09:22 AM   #15

I have them on my 435 Landoll trailer. It's a 53 foot trailer made to move heavy equipment. The size is 10R17.5 and they are holding up much better than the guaranteed to blow firestones I replaced.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2015, 10:43 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't say that I have ever seen it written anywhere that Firestones are guaranteed to blow. Maybe I missed that website. Can you share a link or is this just a personal opinion ?

The below listed link was produced by Michelin but applies to all tire brands.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
I can't say that I have ever seen it written anywhere that Firestones are guaranteed to blow. Maybe I missed that website. Can you share a link or is this just a personal opinion ?

Old 08-12-2015, 11:55 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What I find strange is why posters cannot just offer an opinion about the tire they approve of. Give reasons why they like them. The type of driving they do in relation to time on the road, speed etc. The constant condemnation of different brands is real old without positive proof. Why is it that when motor homes are discussed we don't give the same amount and same type of condemnation ????

Now that is strange !

Old 08-13-2015, 08:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post

Old 08-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake74 View Post
It's personal opinion. Them and bridge stones won't hang in there on a small tire heavy haul application for me. Had best luck with sumitomo,double coin and Hercules tires. It's odd that the off brands hold up better.
That just re-enforces my thoughts that we all drive differently. We all need to see what tire provides for our personal driving habits and the best tire for our vehicles requirements. On 2 different class "A" s I've had 2 different brands because of the vehicle and my driving habits at that time. Both worked out fine with no cracking, blow outs or any other issues.

How does any of that make it a lesser quality tire?

Old 08-13-2015, 06:43 PM   #21

I put new H902's on our Winnebago Adventurer. So far less than a 1000 miles but they ride nice and I have no complaints as of yet.

Jimmy
Old 08-13-2015, 06:51 PM   #22

Tier 1
Tier 2
Tier 3
And now, possibly a level below tier 3...

IMO, Tier 2 is the sweet spot for price, performance, safety, and longevity.

Also IMO, Tier 1 tires, do provide a safety edge - at a cost. But, whats the cost of life, or damage from a bow out?

A third, IMO, is Tier 3 and below - is not only gambling with your safety, but those around you as you drive.

Road conditions in most of the USA, are getting worse, and most likely will continue to get worse, before they get better. My Dad and I used to have a friendly disagreement on tires. He grow up in the early teens and 20's - with a 19 as the first two digits. (8 years old delivery paper in Amarillo, TX in a Model T, with a block of wood tied to the pedals so he could reach them!). To him, due to his experience, tires just did not last. Retreads were very normal for several decades in our country. (Still are, especially in trucking.). He never was worried about tossing retreads on a car, especially in around town driving conditions. Me? Well, thanks to a generation like my Dad, and many millions that put their live's on the line for us. I grew up in a different world and technology as far as tires were concerned. And, automobile performance and handling improved during these decades too. So, I always felt that having the best tires you can buy, for performance more than say longer miles, provided a 'safety edge'. Those four little patches of tire making contact to the ground, are all that keep you moving forward, turning and stopping.

Just about done with my little set of 'IMO's'!

As mentioned. Do your research, do what you feel is right not just for you and your family, but for your fellow drivers too.

One sentence opinion, repeated for my Daughter, sisters, nieces and nephews, as well as close friends:

"Don't try to save money on tires. Buy the best quality tire you can. Keep your tires, and car, maintained properly. OR DON'T DRIVE UNTIL YOU CAN DO SO!"

I'm done, and yes - obviously opinions do vary! Heck, some people like Chevy, and some people like Ford's!

Be safe, have fun,
Smitty
Old 08-13-2015, 07:58 PM   #23

Smitty, I understand where you're coming from, but I have to say that I think your opinions may not be based on current information. You are absolutely correct in saying that automotive performance and handling have improved dramatically over the past 20 years. But I contend that so have tire designs, and the improvement is not limited to what you call "Tier 1" manufacturers. In fact, I'd be so bold as to suggest that the worst tire you can buy today is better than the best tire you could buy 20 years ago, no matter where it came from.

I also agree with you 100% about doing your research. I searched the archives of this and other RV sites for two months before buying the tires on my motorhome. Specifically, I was looking for any first-hand accounts of a Samson tire failing in any way. I looked for stories of blowouts. I found none. I looked for stories of premature tread wear. I found none. I looked for stories of dry rot or sidewall cracking. I found none. I checked the NTSB site for complaints about them. I found none. So I bought them.

I'm confident that I have tires that are more than adequate to carry us safely for the next 5 or 6 years. Don't worry, though. If I do have any problem with them, you'll hear it here first. As I said once before, I'm not afraid to eat a little crow if necessary.

Be safe, have fun,
Indeed!
Old 08-14-2015, 07:26 AM   #24

I agree wholeheartedly with the last 2 posts. Buy the tires you are confident will do a good, safe job within your driving habits and budget.

Having been involved in the tire industry for 40 years, and starting just as Michelin introduced us to that radial tire that was suddenly warranteed for 40,000 miles where we were used to getting 20-25,000 at best from our bias ply tires, I stand as witness to much, much evolution in the tire industry.

Big challenge for American manufacturers as it became apparent to compete they had to start making radial tires. But, the radial tire required totally different manufacturing equipment than the bias ply, and most American manufacturers fought this to the end (bias-belted, poly-steel, etc., etc.). All they did was wrap belts around their bias-ply tire to reduce tread squirm and improve mileage, but one problem: the tires, by design, were failures.

It has been a "given" in the last several years, with the advent of super computers, any major tire manufacturer can design and produce a really good radial tire. The secret has, and still is, being able to manufacture the tires with consistently high-quality. When you buy a set of tires you want them all good from the beginning. Not have to go back and have a couple replaced before they are "right".
You speak of 4 levels of tires on the market. Possibly. I always tried to limit it to 3, and IMHO the biggest difference between Level 1 (best quality and highest price), compared to Level 3 (lowest quality and lowest price), comes in several areas.
1. Quality of the raw material; rubber and steel that goes into the tire.
2. Strict quality control of every step during manufacturing.
3. Ability to assure a very high percentage of production passes a very rigorous final quality control check.
4. Keeping that quality control level high and not yielding to the money people by letting tires go to the consumer that were less than their best.
Finally, assuring your manufacturing and QC people answer independently to the top company executive so QC is strictly driven to assure quality, and not necessarily the company's profits.

That's enough. I could write about tires all day, but don't want to further bore you with an old man's opinions.

"40 years in the tire industry; seen it all and done most of it"

Tags
tires