Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2019, 11:35 PM   #15

Rkins, Thanks for your reply.

All my batteries are under the front hood of the RV. So only about 24' from dash to rear RV tires but maybe as much as 47' to toad rear tires.
Just don't know where I would put repeater except maybe using toad battery but hate to risk draining that battery especially since brake buddy already being used there...
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2019, 04:01 AM   #16

I am not familiar with the wiring in a Baystar but I have fuse panels in several places in my coach. In the bedroom above the bed is my main AC breaker panel and also a 12V fuse panel. If you have a remote fuse panel you should be able to tap into the 12V there.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:20 PM   #17

We had EEZtire on our Dutch Star and just installed a new one on our Beaver. EEZtire says that you don't need a repeater if under 53' unless you have a lot of electronic stuff that may cause interference. I connected my repeater to the wiring for the rear closet light and mounted it nearby. Very easy and you can check on its operation (little red light) every time you open the closet door.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:57 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use the EEZTire system. I don’t need a repeater for our 40’ motor home but do need it when we tow our 16’ (tongue + bed) motorcycle trailer.
cyclist922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:09 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
I use TireMinder Smart TPMS and put the repeater in the breaker box in the coach. It is located in the middle of the coach and it was a very simple install. Used about 18 months with no problems
Old 02-27-2019, 03:44 PM   #20

I left the anti theft shells on our TST sensors because the threaded caps on the sensors themselves did not seem reliable... the threads seem to strip easily and the caps seemed like they might fly off... the anti theft shells keep everything together with the three little screws. They are a pain though, and I’d ditch them if I thought the caps would stay on the sensors.

All in all, the tpms is great to verify pressure before taking off in the mornings... and of course great if you start losing pressure while on the road. It could theoretically prevent you from having a blowout due to low pressure.

We had the tread separate on one of the duals once... there was no pressure drop before the blowout... so the TPMS can’t predict every blowout that’s on the horizon.

All in all... a good investment in my opinion.

Cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:35 PM   #21

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Very helpful. But I still have a question:
Since it appears that I will need to install the repeater/signal booster, how do I do that since my batteries are in the front of the coach and I need the repeater near the back of the coach.
I saw a video that said something about hooking it up to a 12v light in the rear of the coach but did not explain how to do that.
Any ideas on where and how to install the TST repeater when direct connect to battery is not an option?
Old 02-28-2019, 09:51 PM   #22

Turns out the TST 507 TPMS I bought was crap. Got it though Amazon and have already made plans to return it.
All TST systems may not be crap—this one may be older with monochrome monitor and may be so old that batteries were dead but that does not explain all the problems.
First, 12v charger contacts were cheap and split the first time I tried to plug it in. It still was charging, so I went ahead and tried to program.
Monitor does not show what "mode" I was in which made programing more that difficult. Some tire sensors would not register. Etc.
Kind of pissed off because I spent hours researching this product and a couple few hours trying to get it set up.
Now considering the EEZ brand.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:03 AM   #23

Yeah, it sounds like you bought the old model. The new color version is easy to program.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:14 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona View Post
Thanks to everyone for their replies. Very helpful. But I still have a question:
Since it appears that I will need to install the repeater/signal booster, how do I do that since my batteries are in the front of the coach and I need the repeater near the back of the coach.
I saw a video that said something about hooking it up to a 12v light in the rear of the coach but did not explain how to do that.
Any ideas on where and how to install the TST repeater when direct connect to battery is not an option?
Many of the responses from above from people with the EEZtire monitors said they didn't actually need the repeater on RVs longer than yours. I still say "Give it a try without."

But if you want / need to install, you'll need to find a source of 12-volt power. There are several suggestions above, but unless someone has a rig exactly like yours they can't walk you through it.

If you use existing wiring it may be good to get someone who has experience with wiring to tap into it. There should be any number of sources near the rear of your RV -- lights, fuse boxes, radios, etc.

Tags
tpms