Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2015, 08:33 AM   #15

Real friends don't ask.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2015, 08:37 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpower View Post
sorry but my insurance will not cover you as a driver.
Exactly what my wife and I say. If they persist, we will the say H3$$ NO.
So far the insurance one stops everyone.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:39 AM   #17

I loaned our then new 98 Pace Arrow Vision to our son for a 4000 mile trip to Key West and back. He had a minor accident when a dog ran out in front. Insurance took care of it, no problem. Then I loaned him our new 03 40' Phaeton the day after we took delivery for an in-law outing in the north woods of WI. We hadn't even slept in it yet. We were happy to do it. We like and enjoy our motor home, but it is just a "Thing" made out of steel, plastic, copper and rubber. I would hesitate to loan it to a non family member, but no problem with thr kids.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:42 AM   #18

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have used this.
Sorry I don't lend,but I would be happy to sell it for the right price.
And I actually have sold a pickup this way.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:31 AM   #19

I would let my kids use it, both are mechanics and have saved me thousands over the years and I'm sure it would come back serviced and fueled up. As for anyone else they couldn't afford the deposit.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-15-2015, 10:20 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
"Are you insane?? This is not a '94 geo metro. YOu can't just jump in and go. THis is 40 feet long and 40,000 pounds and full of systems that take weeks and months of study to learn to use. And it's pretty fragile, suprisingly so!. It will kill you and many more if you don't know what you're doing. And, if you've never driven one, believe me, you don't know what you're doing. Put down the crack pipe."
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:32 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get a custom bumper sticker for your rig: "Friends don't let friends borrow their motorhome."

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:46 AM   #22

Interesting dilemma.. Friends and relatives probably a no, the insurance and liability would definitely be an issue. That said.. I have allowed my son and daughter to "borrow" my 40' Revolution. My initial reaction to their request was a resounding "No Way". After some thought and remembering my first few days as a novice working my way through the systems without the benefit of being able to call "Dad" with any issues I decided to allow my kids to experience MH living. A few of the conditions was to not only become familiar with the systems and actually operate them before they left the driveway but to also agree to 50 mile driving "test" with dad in the passenger seat. They have made several trips over the last few years without a major issue.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:03 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikensallyt View Post
With my brother in laws (truck drivers) they are more than welcome to borrow it. Besides they would never ask such a question. Now then my two grown children (son, daughter). No freaking way. He has this problem of hitting things (even though he pays for the damage repairs) and she has this problem of not respecting property (not properly taking care of it and cleaning up afterwards or trying to find shortcuts to fit her needs). My neighbors and friends would never ask. You just don't ask those questions.
Hey Mikey, Just noticed your home base. My wife (and B.I.L.) have two more siblings that live in Port A. We are coming down for a week soon and plan to look at some possible MHs' to buy. If you have nothing better to do I will buy you a beer. The one sis-in-law & husband own the Beachcomber motel and we get a small discount so we stay there. Later, Mike
Old 07-15-2015, 11:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam565 View Post
Interesting dilemma.. Friends and relatives probably a no, the insurance and liability would definitely be an issue. That said.. I have allowed my son and daughter to "borrow" my 40' Revolution. My initial reaction to their request was a resounding "No Way". After some thought and remembering my first few days as a novice working my way through the systems without the benefit of being able to call "Dad" with any issues I decided to allow my kids to experience MH living. A few of the conditions was to not only become familiar with the systems and actually operate them before they left the driveway but to also agree to 50 mile driving "test" with dad in the passenger seat. They have made several trips over the last few years without a major issue.
Well done!!
Old 07-15-2015, 12:13 PM   #25
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
My concern and I address it right up front:

Its a used MH and I'd feel very bad if you borrowed it and something broke, or you had to have it towed.

That opens up the conversation as to "what if?" i.e the $4,000 tranny fails, Who going to pay

Another thought:

I'm considering selling it, Would you be interested in buying it or maybe split the ownership?

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:27 PM   #26

My Dad told me long ago "Never loan it, unless you can give it". Learn to say "NO".
I sure wish I would have done that more.
And your kids and your friends are the worst. Say no and save the friendship. If he trashes your stuff, that's not a friend anyway.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamyb View Post
My Dad told me long ago "Never loan it, unless you can give it". Learn to say "NO".
I sure wish I would have done that more.
And your kids and your friends are the worst. Say no and save the friendship. If he trashes your stuff, that's not a friend anyway.
I think that you would agree that this very much depends on the friend or the kid. I have friends and even a kid that are probably even pickier and more responsible than I am. They are the exception to the rule when it comes to the overall population though.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:39 PM   #28

Got the same question. Setup my insurance so there can only be two drivers. Me and the Mrs. Problem solved.