Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2015, 10:10 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Well, it's not stuff, unless you consider a big pile of cash just stuff. It's a quarter million dollars, give or take. At $100/hour, that's well over a one year of earnings. I'll put them thru college so they can one day afford to buy their own motorhome, but they can rent a motorhome from someone who rents motorhomes, just like I did. I don't lend money either, that's what banks do. If the bank thinks it's a bad idea, then it likely is.
Well then.....it's only money. And of course we have insurance. Do I love holding onto my money more or holding onto my son more?
The kid has grown up with the RV thing and race cars as well. At 10, he can switch an engine in the race car, and he has watched me enough that he could make his way through dumping the tanks in the DP. By the time he is old enough to drive, he will be taking some of those responsibilities as well. I have made a habit of sharing my life with my kid, and making sure that he is responsible enough to handle everything in it for that matter. If he wasn't responsible enough to handle everything available when he was old enough for it, whose fault would that be? We all have the first time at something. He may as well have me helping him through it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2015, 10:25 AM   #58

My brother n law I love more than a brother if yo do a search to saint his picture will pop up but he does not know how much o handle a bigyear rig he watch the car in front of him not the ones in front of it. He knows this and would never ask and the f he did I would hand him the keys and I tell him to have a nice trip

Old 07-16-2015, 10:36 AM   #59

My brother in law would be a different story. I didn't raise him. Between he and his wife they have two PHD's. Super smart. But they have no knowledge about RV's. For their safety I wouldn't lend it to him. I could set it up somewhere for them.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:46 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
Well then.....it's only money. And of course we have insurance. Do I love holding onto my money more or holding onto my son more?
The kid has grown up with the RV thing and race cars as well. At 10, he can switch an engine in the race car, and he has watched me enough that he could make his way through dumping the tanks in the DP. By the time he is old enough to drive, he will be taking some of those responsibilities as well. I have made a habit of sharing my life with my kid, and making sure that he is responsible enough to handle everything in it for that matter. If he wasn't responsible enough to handle everything available when he was old enough for it, whose fault would that be? We all have the first time at something. He may as well have me helping him through it.
This is such an awesome response on SO MANY levels...

I'm trying to raise my children to do for themselves (12, 13 & 15)... cause at some point, I won't be there to do for them.. If more parents subscribed to this line of thinking (like mine did).. I don't think this country would be where it is..

The thought of having a 23+ yr old child still living in my house, completely blows my mind.. I tell my kids all the time.. I'm their biggest cheerleader.. I will support them in whatever they do... but they need to have the initiative to make it happen..

Once out of HS, they either need to be enrolled in college, tech program, military or an apprenticeship... something that will make them productive members of society.. but if they think they're going to graduate from HS and live with me while flipping burgers at McDonald's.. they are sadly mistaken...

So... assuming I've done my job as a parent.. I think the better question is, why wouldn't you borrow your RV to your children.. Personally, I like the idea of fostering a new generation into the RV lifestyle... Hopefully the seed is planted now.. and will only grow as they get older, and if I can add a little "water" by letting them borrow my RV.. that would be OK with me!!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:24 PM   #61

What's more: Maybe if I loan him my RV when he is in his 20's, he will loan me his when I am in my 70's!
And seriously,..I can't do all this stuff by myself forever. Racing, RV'ing, owning a large property....If I am lucky, his career will keep him local, and he can HELP ME do those things! We started this parenting thing a little later in life, and, well I could use the help before long. No way I could keep up with my career, the property and all the racing stuff by myself. If he wants to race, he's got to learn it and pitch in. If he breaks some stuff along the way, so be it. It's a learning experience. I broke all sorts of my dad's racing stuff....learning. I just wish he could have lived longer so I could help him longer.
Sorry...off track!
Old 07-16-2015, 01:37 PM   #62

Tiffin Owners Club
Just tell him the costs of scraping a tree,$5000, or hazmat clean up$3000, and without training its too easy for things to go wrong. Ive turned down my son who wanted to pick up his fiance in canada and cram in all her belongings and drive 2000 mi back.....uhh no way!
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:29 PM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
Well then.....it's only money.
Yeah, but so much of it!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #64

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
bring the lending of it up and your position on it once you order it. something like, i can't believe that as expensive as these are that people ask to borrow peoples mh's. i would never loan mine out. that way you can clearly state your position before he has time to ask. has worked for me.
then if he is stupid and still ask you can say no and he has already gotten your position on it. takes the edge off.
My answer exactly, Tell him "You will help him find one, so you can camp together".
Old 07-16-2015, 06:04 PM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Ours is set for only one, DW won't even sit behind the wheel to check lights!
lol!! I rented a 37 footer a few weeks ago and the wife was strictly a spectator. Wanted nothing to do with the drivers side of the coach.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:11 PM   #66

Honestly...if it is worth more than what I am willing to trust an adult that I raised with, then it costs more than something I want to own.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:07 PM   #67

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
25 years of friendship shouldn't be hurt by telling him no. I won't/don't lend mine out. People know not to ask, so I don't have to say no. I casually mention that it's not available for use to friends and family before they can ask. Also like mentioned, my insurance won't cover them or anyone/thing the may hit. They understand, it's our retirement home...

Best of luck.
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:30 PM   #68

I loaned mine out to the in-laws once. they picked it up full of fuel, propane and water. brought it back with full holding tanks, low on fuel and propane, broken driver seat, broken VCR, covered with bugs on the front. no offer of compensation or even an apology. Never again.
My DS is 15, I would like to think I would let him borrow anything of mine. He is getting very good at taking care of things and familiar with all rv systems, just not ready to drive it yet. I figure anything I don't wear out will be his someday anyway.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:36 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know how this thread turned into a critique of parenting , but the OP said "brother in law". I'm going to go with the "not insured for other drivers" response.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:16 PM   #70

Simple rule, I use for myself when I think about borrowing something. I taught my kids this and apply this logic when considering loaning something out.

If I cannot afford to replace it, I don't borrow it!, If you cannot afford to replace it, don't borrow it from me.