Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2015, 01:06 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question Hey brother-in-law, can I borrow the rig for a couple of weeks next month?

I have no doubt that I will hear those words not too far after we find and purchase our new (used) motorhome. I fear hearing them because it will more than likely weaken our 25 year friendship when I tell him no. At least it is my feeling that I will. I want to tell him no. We were friends before I married his sister. Telling him he can't borrow it will for sure put a dent in our relationship. How have you dealt with the problem. Give it to me straight. Real stories please.
Txice is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2015, 02:15 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Once, my son in law wanted to borrow my first mh; the answer was "I'll bring it to the campsite and I'll install it properly for you to use it over the weekend and then sunday p.m. I'll be back to uninstall it and bring it back home".
I finally went camping a friday nite and he finally came as a visitor with his wife and kids on saturday, just a one day stay and to have supper with us.
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:38 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I never lend out my MH. The answer for me would be an unqualified no! Many years ago I was not so bright. Never again.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:07 AM   #4

sorry but my insurance will not cover you as a driver....I have had several friends ask me to use my rig for the weekend all have either got no reply to the text or a no I can not do it. none of them have the funds to repair it much less replace it if there is a accident. bad idea to lend out something that expensive.
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:16 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My son asked me to borrow our Discovery last year. When I finally stopped laughing his comment was "Guess the answer is no".

He is so smart
abrasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:19 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Tell him that you care too much for him and wouldn't want to jeopardize your 25 year relationship.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:21 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do not loan out Motor Homes, Boats or Motorcycles. Just too many things to know how to operate to let anyone play with your toy. Driving insurance is one thing, but even running the heat and AC, taking care of the tanks or the Jacks and slide-outs..
Old 07-15-2015, 05:24 AM   #8
laj

Hey brother-in-law can i borrow the rig for a couple of weeks next month?

bring the lending of it up and your position on it once you order it. something like, i can't believe that as expensive as these are that people ask to borrow peoples mh's. i would never loan mine out. that way you can clearly state your position before he has time to ask. has worked for me.
then if he is stupid and still ask you can say no and he has already gotten your position on it. takes the edge off.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrasv View Post
My son asked me to borrow our Discovery last year. When I finally stopped laughing his comment was "Guess the answer is no".

He is so smart
Wow I would let my kids take it in a heartbeat if they wanted.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:45 AM   #10

My wife, motorcycle and rc aircraft don't get loaned out. I guess I should add my TT to the list. I'll gladly loan out my tools but my help comes with them... I just got burned too often with things coming back dirty, broken, 6 months late, etc...
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:57 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txice View Post
I have no doubt that I will hear those words not too far after we find and purchase our new (used) motorhome. I fear hearing them because it will more than likely weaken our 25 year friendship when I tell him no. At least it is my feeling that I will. I want to tell him no. We were friends before I married his sister. Telling him he can't borrow it will for sure put a dent in our relationship. How have you dealt with the problem. Give it to me straight. Real stories please.
Going by your username, I assume you are in Texas. If your future MH is over 26K, he would need a Class B for a start. Maybe he already has one, then I like Clifftall's response.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:02 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Nope, too many liability issues with insurance, hungry lawyers, and unknown things that can go wrong! I even have concerns when the grandchildren travel with us. Someone mentioned that they would drive it there and set it up for them. I would consider that, and then have a indepth demonstration on how everything works. Then go back and pick it up.
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:53 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
If they want to use one, just tell them to go out and rent one from RV America or something close to that !
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:29 AM   #14

With my brother in laws (truck drivers) they are more than welcome to borrow it. Besides they would never ask such a question. Now then my two grown children (son, daughter). No freaking way. He has this problem of hitting things (even though he pays for the damage repairs) and she has this problem of not respecting property (not properly taking care of it and cleaning up afterwards or trying to find shortcuts to fit her needs). My neighbors and friends would never ask. You just don't ask those questions.