Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2012, 06:46 AM   #1

Thor residency dp any suggestions. pics

So we have narrowed it down to two.v.s maybe three because I just saw one that caught my attention on ebay. Can you please give your opinion.

1- 1997 pace arrow gas. power banks. oshkosh cassis. washer/dryer. It was listed on ebay but it is only three minutes from my house so I had it inspected and they fixed about $700 worth of stuff. Tires are 9 yrs old and the old folks think they are find. I know they need replaced but they won't go any lower on the price. There are eight tires because it has a tag. asking $18000. low book is 18000 high book is 21000 without options. 21000-25000 with options but without powerbanks option because it did not let me add that. Of course there is the tires to consider. Great interior. one owner. Here is the expired listing from ebay.
1997 Pace Arrow Motorhome with slide 1997 Pace Arrow Motorhome with slide | eBay

2- Thor residency 1997 DP Cummins/Allison with powerbanks turbo.oshkosh chassis. Just took a ride in this last night and this baby has some power. Interior is kind of funky but for the price I am willing to make a few adjustments. Was a repo before. six tires. Two are 07 four are 09. 6500 generator, 27" flat screen. no leaks ever.solar panel. inverter. here is the local ksl add for it although there was not many pics
Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com

3- here is one that i saw today from ebay. There is some cracking in the paintand clear coating or something. don't know if that is a major problem. here is the link
98 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 37CDS Diesel Pusher with Slide Cummins 8.3L 98 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 37CDS Diesel Pusher with Slide Cummins 8.3L - eBay (item 280853687161 end time Apr-08-12 18:00:00 PDT)

I would appreciate all your comments. I have learned as much as I can in the last month and we have to make a decision today. I have spent almost everyday driving around seeing motorhomes and unfortunately we are out of time. We need to live in this for about one and a half months and then just have it to play around with. We have 10 in the family. yes not ideal circumstances to live in for a family of 10 but it is will work out.
thanks so much.
newrvlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #2

Are you leaning toward gas or diesel? and my opinion, I dont think that Thor residency is a diesel pusher.
CorLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:17 AM   #3

This thor has a cummins/allison transmisson in it on an oshkosh chassis.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorLynn View Post
Are you leaning toward gas or diesel? and my opinion, I dont think that Thor residency is a diesel pusher.
I like diesel because I think they will last longer. hope they will at least. And I hope they will not depreciate so fast. How much would you add onto the value of the nada for the cummins/allison tranny on this thor. They are asking 19k but i can't get the value of it because the nada does not have an option for a diesel.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #5

From what i have read on this forum...you cannot add any upgrades onto a value of a motorhome. I guess i am missing something here. Did they convert that thor into a diesel? can you convert a gas into diesel? I am not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to rv, but i am learning.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:41 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorLynn View Post
From what i have read on this forum...you cannot add any upgrades onto a value of a motorhome. I guess i am missing something here. Did they convert that thor into a diesel? can you convert a gas into diesel? I am not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to rv, but i am learning.
Converting a gasser into a diesel can be done but it will have to be a smaller diesel since it will have to go in the front, diesels are heavier than gas engines so weight on the front axle and steering gear becomes an issue. Always easier in the long run to get a coach that was born as a diesel.

On the older coaches upgrades would help for an individual buy if they are done properly and look good but add no value if the coach is financed.

My 2 cents
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyLeggett View Post
Converting a gasser into a diesel can be done but it will have to be a smaller diesel since it will have to go in the front, diesels are heavier than gas engines so weight on the front axle and steering gear becomes an issue. Always easier in the long run to get a coach that was born as a diesel.

On the older coaches upgrades would help for an individual buy if they are done properly and look good but add no value if the coach is financed.

My 2 cents
Thank you for your answer Its just i see that Thor residency is a gas motorhome, and was wondering if it was converted? In the ad it says diesel pusher, i think 300 hp.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:48 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
I looked at the pics of the Thor, all three of them. Front grill indicates a Front Engine Diesel or gas. Usually gas.

I have owned three gassers and two diesels, I personally like the diesels. Diesel engines, properly maintained will last forever. More torque, etc. Allison makes a quality tranny.

If you are in no super hurry, I would do a bit more looking. Whatever you buy check to see if they have made any effort to keep up with the maintenance and have at least the owner's manual
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrvlady View Post
I like diesel because I think they will last longer. hope they will at least. And I hope they will not depreciate so fast. How much would you add onto the value of the nada for the cummins/allison tranny on this thor. They are asking 19k but i can't get the value of it because the nada does not have an option for a diesel.
I wouldn't add any options on the NADA prices. They just use a straight-line depreciation from MSRP. Options are seldom, if ever, considered by dealers until they are selling a coach.

The Engine/Transmission would already be in the MSRP.

For your stated use I would look primarily at how well the coach would work for your tribe. Will all of you be traveling in it for the month or two or sitting in a campground? If little or no travel then the decision should be based on floorplan.

Remember, if your needs change you can always sell the coach you buy now in order to buy one that better fits new circumstances.

This checklist might help.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~kwildman/checklist.pdf
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Now we come to the 9 year old tires = need to be replaced in a hurry
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:09 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think take the Thor out of the equation. Tires for the Pace Arrow are going to be 2-3k even for inexpensive tires. Do you know how much you can get the HR for? Also on the HR sounds like some of the dual panes windows are failing, you might want to find out how many, 2-3 hundred a pc to have repaired and/or replaced. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #12

Of the 3 coaches you list of the 90's vintage, I would probably lean toward the HR Endeavor coach. It is common to find spider web cracks in the finish which usually isn't a big problem. However if the cracks are wide and deep into the outer sidewalls or end caps it would give me pause.

Holiday Rambler built a good quality coach that seem to hold up fairly well over the years.

Hopefully you'll get a response from some HR owners,

Good luck with your search...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:51 PM   #13

did you get your motorhome today?
Old 03-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think you had another thread with the holiday Rambler today. If you got it for 15k it will do exactly what you need it to do. I think I remember all the tires were from 2010?

I would put the bid on, in fact, I remember the ad mentioning about making an offer, that is what I would do. There was lots of pictures. There was a LOT of info, and an opportunity to call.

To me if you have to pick from the three, it's a no brainer.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor