Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2017, 09:30 AM   #1

Hey I have one motorhome, Why do I need 5 GPS?

I know it's only me but what the heck's going on here!

What's the deal with some GPA apps like MapsMe, Sygic and others who do not have maps for the full United States? I'm going to Southwest region of North Carolina only to find it doesn't exhist! Very sad news for the folks who live there and does it also mean the folks can't leave there? Silly right because how can folks live in a place that doesn't exhist? And do the GPS's tell you "Hey We Don't Cover the Entire US?" Nooooooooo!!!

OK, you're not going to the Southwest region of North Carolina so who cares? You better unles you don't travel further than under your bed like the people who design these incomplete monstrositys to human kind!

It's sad that we need multiple GPS apps a Rand MacNalley physical map and a AAA Trip Tick in hopes of making it a couple miles away from home! Then some of them want to acccess your iPhone/iPad or non Apple item (non Apple people, so sad) 24/7 if you use the app or not. If that's not enough they want to show where you are on the road so others using the app can see you... What!!! Big Brother is one thing but this is just too much!

I know, I know, some of you are just singing a merry tune "I'm going to the Zoo Today". I don't know how that tune actually goes but I do know I don't want to be driving down the road in a 40,000+ pound motor coach and not be able to depend of my GPS choice of direction. Maybe not so bad in a maneuverable SUV but a 40 foot plus coach? I think not! Or have some idiot pull up next to you pointing at your coach saying "Look Martha "We're driving right next to the guy using our same GPS" and then runs both of us off the road! Maybe because he's not with Martha!

You know, maybe I'll just stay home and stare out at my coach? Oh I can't do that, my coach isn't kept at home... And I probably can't even find it with this stupid GPS!

Who said technology's not great? Yah like that nerd weenie kid my daughter brought home some years ago... But I like the grandkids ok!

Harry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2017, 10:03 AM   #2

I don't understand,
Google maps, Done!!
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:11 AM   #3

Garmin works for me...lol
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:19 AM   #4

Exactly! Even better, use Garmin AND Google Maps together. If you can't go where you want with them, your destination really doesn't exist.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:19 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Garmin Nuvi has taken us all over the US and parts of Canada. Not always on the best route but at least it's there.

Google maps on the smart phone is great and really doesn't use too much data... Just speak the address and the little woman at Google says, "Here you go."

Really like our Rand McNally $7.95 map book from Walmart for overall picture and trip planning.

Just to reassure you, western NC is still there. We were there at Moonshine RV park in Balsom a couple of weeks ago.
Parts of it may disappear on Monday for a short while, but it will most probably be back...
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #6

Hey I have one motorhome, Why do I need 5 GPS?

And why do they all have different maps. And why does the same model gps on the copilot side give different routing than the pilot side.

Google maps seems to be the most up to date, some of the time

I feel your pain
Old 08-20-2017, 11:55 AM   #7

I have an old Garman I bought 4 years and never updated and I must admit does a pretty good job. I also have CoPilot for RV and it also does a good job. Although it couldn't find my son's house in West Virginia. But to its credit it did know where West Virginia is and the town in which he lives, so that's something! But I'd like an app instead of a dedicated GPS for the bus!

I think most of you get my point, unless you're under your bed of course. Some of these things were made by a crazy person! The worse part is they know (and you know they know) where the crazy is and do little to fix it.

By way of example, CoPiolet users have been screeming for MPH, showing how fast your going and CoPiolet says sure no problem! Did they add it to their last update? Nooooooo!!!

Harry
Old 08-20-2017, 12:54 PM   #8

At least using apps you have the option to use more than one, I like that I'm not dependent on one source and can verify multiple sources if in a strange place with large motorhome. Buying a hardware unit your stuck with it as is with one map source.

I use CoPilot as my primary nav app, works offline and does a pretty good job, love the traffic ahead line and the overall layout. Is it perfect, no, as nothing is, So I also use Google maps, it typically has more up to date info and more obscure stuff and better search and satellite imagery but won't work without cell signal. Got some map books too, that I rarely use.

Also use Allstay's to find gas up ahead and places to stay. Also weather apps like Radarscope and engine monitoring apps. Looking for a good TPMS app, Tireminder looks interesting.

Bottom line I like having choice and multiple overlapping apps gives me options, I do wish CoPilot would do more frequent updates, if something better catches my eye I'll use that instead.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:08 PM   #9

You can't get there from here.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
I have an old Garman I bought 4 years and never updated and I must admit does a pretty good job. I also have CoPilot for RV and it also does a good job. Although it couldn't find my son's house in West Virginia. But to its credit it did know where West Virginia is and the town in which he lives, so that's something! But I'd like an app instead of a dedicated GPS for the bus!

I think most of you get my point, unless you're under your bed of course. Some of these things were made by a crazy person! The worse part is they know (and you know they know) where the crazy is and do little to fix it.

By way of example, CoPiolet users have been screeming for MPH, showing how fast your going and CoPiolet says sure no problem! Did they add it to their last update? Nooooooo!!!

Harry
My Copilot app shows MPH
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #11

Hey Greg,

I have both the standard and RV version. Is there some kind of set up feature I've missed? Could I be the crazy person? Surely not!
Old 08-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Hey Greg,

I have both the standard and RV version. Is there some kind of set up feature I've missed? Could I be the crazy person? Surely not!
[ATTACH] RV version. If you touch on top of either spot in bottom left (miles to destination) or bottom right (mph) it will let you choose different options to show in each area. I found this by mistake one day. Lol. [ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170820-160323.png
Views:	273
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	173668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170820-160648.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	173669  

Old 08-20-2017, 02:27 PM   #13

Well I'll be dipped in creamy milk chocolate and covered with a hard candy shell... Thanks so much Greg! You'd think they'd tell you that somewhere?

I don't suppose there's also a way to show the posted speed is there? I know, I'm really pushing the envelope now!

Thanks again Greg, that's great!

Harry
Old 08-20-2017, 02:47 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Well I'll be dipped in creamy milk chocolate and covered with a hard candy shell... Thanks so much Greg! You'd think they'd tell you that somewhere?

I don't suppose there's also a way to show the posted speed is there? I know, I'm really pushing the envelope now!

Thanks again Greg, that's great!

Harry
Its your lucky day Harry. Under main settings choose speed limit and check the "Show Speed Limit" box. Doesn't always show speed limit. I think that is probably a mapping information issue depending on area. I like the speed warning. I used Copilot and Google maps on my trip to Chicago this week in my truck. Used the RV setting to see performance. This was a great feature as I seem to have a lead foot. Greg [ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170820-164333.png
Views:	225
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	173674  

Tags
gps, motorhome