Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #15

If the price is right, I'll spend more time checking out a coach that's been sitting, but if it's been properly stored and looked after, they don't scare me off much. Tires, hoses, belts will likely be replaced on about anything I buy anyway (my "affordability factor" limits). I have that cost added in right from the beginning?

The roof, assuming no obvious problems (leaks/water stains/peeling headliner/etc.) inside, can be checked for proper maintenance pretty easily. Just go up and crawl around a bit. If you see patches or big gob jobs where it appears somebody has made multiple attempts at sealing a leak (using a different material each time), that would not be a good sign? Read up on rubber roofs so you know what you're looking at there (black is not good!).

Delams - you have it right. It's the first thing I look for, because if I see anything like that it will be the end of my inspection. I can fix mechanical issues. Anything. You can adjust your offer to take care of anything that needs to be done. Not so with water damage. Repairing water damage is generally a place one goes only one time. You only make that mistake once, and I've already been there. I don't care how much time you have available, I would not recommend a project like that to anyone. -Al
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #16

Thanks for your thoughtful replies ahicks. Would a small area of delamination, maybe 2sq ft, just under and around the driver side window be a huge concern on something like this? This is the small water-damaged area.

There was another MH we looked at online, this one is a class C, and again had water damage, and it looks some mold, on the top bunk over the cab. Is this something that in your experience should be always avoided, even at for a very low cost?
harbinjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #17

2 sq ft might be worth messing with

IF

That's the only thing keeping you from buying the coach?

Many times areas like that are accessible pretty easily. All you have to do is pull that window? If, on the inside there appears no other damage (rotted paneling and/or floor) it might merit further investigation.

STILL, it's evidence of how the coach has been maintained. I would be really wary? That 2 sq ft is what you see. Do you suspect there is more you can't/don't see?

From your description, the class C is one I would not bring home if it were free. I could not bring myself to use something like that, and the time to repair it is almost guaranteed to exceed the value of the coach even if the parts to do that were free?

Be patient in your hunt. Realize you're going to look through a LOT of JUNK (advertised by people totally delusional when writing adds describing condition) prior to find something worth talking about/considering. Then, check the coach out thoroughly! You don't want to fall in love with it or try to legitimize this purchase until you know it's OK! I'm going to guess you're going to look at 15 or 20 coaches you'll discount inside of 5 minutes for every one you see worth a closer look? And then, many of those will have issues you may not be willing to deal with.

There are nice buys available. You just need to be patient in your search to find them. Suggest you be ready to purchase immediately when you find one though. It's not going to be available long... Guys that have been looking for a while will recognize them quickly. -Al
Old 07-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #18

iRV2 Forums - Files - Used MH Checklist

If you have not yet found the document...Here is a link to our MH Buyers Checklisk
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #19

Thanks Gocoffer. Also thanks ahicks. Yeah, I think this thing is just not for us. As that salesman said, a great price on a motorhome that isn't right for you isn't a good deal. I am definitely willing to wait a while, as necessary. I do have one more question. I just found a Winnebago LeSharo from the late 80's. It looks like it's in great shape(from pictures, haven't seen it in person yet). Definitely seems small enough to not be intimidating. It is fuel efficient so we could drive it as far as it will go. But it only has a 2.2L 4-cylinder engine. Is that crazy small? The motorhome is very close to the ideal size that I imagine, and I really like the layout. Are there many known problems with these? Are there other motorhomes of a similar size and layout that someone can recommend if not this?(I've seen the Rialta, and I like it too)
harbinjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #20

A lot of those are/were used as snowbird commuters. Still see them now and again. You definetly don't want to be in a hury or plan on pulling anything with one. Not for me at all, but they used to have quite a following? Renault running gear.