Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2017, 02:51 PM   #15

thanks for the imput

i realize that in the end , its different opinions. i was basically seeing if i may have not thought of something. maybe an owner of one of these rvs would be able to share their experience with me.

The diesel in the big avanti is a cummins with only 200hp , so its a small one. i figure to save about $600 a year in fuel, bc diesel costs more as well. as for thor , im not partial to them. but basically , when i run a search for my criteria, pretty much anything that comes up is a thor , or forest river. sometimes winnebago, but i dont like the design. some say its higher quality, but i guess i dont like the spartan look of them. the floor plans are all similiar, drop down bed in front , dinette and back bedroom. just size difference, and in the case of avanti, diesel. I've had a thor and yes, its incredibly cheap and not built that well, but i had the lowest grade , no slide, starter hurricane. ive been in many rv's and they all kinda seem chintzy inside , except for the 100k+ units and even they arent built that well.

i could get s 90's dp in the budget , but then it would look so old. i guess im thors audience. judging by sales, i guess thats a lot of people. i had a carver boat, the boat guys were always saying to buy a tiara. but the carver and my thor were fine for the job i bought them for.
AKITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2017, 03:04 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I guess I don't agree with the Depreciation stuff....... every MH is going to depreciate about 5% per year MOL. Gasser or Diesel.

All three of those are low mileage. Take them for a ride and then pick one. MPG's should be last on the list IMO. You just aren't going to drive it enough to make a big difference. Your savings with the Diesel could end up going to maintenance cost.

If you're handy ...... I would go older Luxury DP.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:12 PM   #17

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
I guess I don't agree with the Depreciation stuff....... every MH is going to depreciate about 5% per year MOL. Gasser or Diesel.

All three of those are low mileage. Take them for a ride and then pick one. MPG's should be last on the list IMO. You just aren't going to drive it enough to make a big difference. Your savings with the Diesel could end up going to maintenance cost.

BEFORE you buy another coach...at least GO DRIVE a DP on air ride....so you know the good and bad of each.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post

exactly what i was thinking about the diesel. the added torque, if any, would be my most wanted benefit. i am the opposite of handy.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:29 PM   #19

TORQUE is king. All rvs are overloaded chassis. Torque negates that. Every us citizen that likes Jeep wranglers are on pins and needles waiting to find out if the 2018 wrangler will be offered in a diesel because of the torque. Yes, I am one of them.
PGCI2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKITCHELL View Post
we have an autistic child who cannot fly. he is 5 and we have a 10 yo daughter and a small dog. my wife and i.
Since you've already stated you ARE going to buy one of these 3 rigs, and just because of the number of people you have I'd go with the diesel. That rig is only 6 years old so I wouldn't think parts are hard to find yet. But that's just my opinion. With 4 people and a pet, the bigger the better. The other 2 rigs IMO would be to cramped. And all the stuff you'll be carrying for everyone, don't forget to check your CCC and be sure it'll be sufficient.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:15 AM   #21

ended up going with the vegas. the diesel wasnt worth the extra money to us. the gas savings would be negated by the higher cost of gas, and then i would have extra maintanance and harder to find mechnics etc etc. and i was worried about the full carpeted interior of the avanti and why it had to be replaced so soon. and why replace what was originally a carpetless floor with fresh carpet?
we dont need alot of room and the last 30 ft , no slide hurricane was plenty big for all of our weekend trips. so i figure the 26 footer with a slide should be fine. the dog is a min pin and really small too.

the ease of driving and not having to tow a car really appealed to me. a smaller footprint is also easier to store , clean and park. i think that i got a good deal, and i liked the seller better than the people i worked with at the dealerships.

off topic, but i had originally called about 8 different vehicles, and narrowed it down to the last 3 , bc they each called me back. amazing how many people dont bother to return calls in this business. you would figure that they want the business and at least would call back.