Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2016, 03:42 AM   #1

HID lights too bright? Picture

I found an HID light set up on Amazon. I have 1998 Ford Explorer headlights on my 98 Endeavor so it was an easy match. The only issue was some slight modification to the clamp discs. I ditched em and used hose clamps.
I bought the 55 watt, 6000k system. I think I might only need the 35 watt system, but hey, bigger is better? Maybe not in this case. I don't want to be blinding drivers on the open road so I may tone it down to a 35 watt system. The kits are only $40.00 bucks so I can check the 35 watt system without getting hurt on the cash.
Here's a pic of the new 55 watt 6000k system in action. The 6k is supposed to be a white light and boy is it. Does anyone have experience with this upgrade? Can you tell from the pic if it seems too bright?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hidlights.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	119144  

kiethco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2016, 07:50 AM   #2

One thing that may help a lot is to make sure your headlamps are properly adjusted. When properly adjusted, they should be within legal limits. Your picture is really hard to interpret because of camera lens glare and positioning. Oncoming vehicles will be to the port side of the MH, not it front of it, and that is one of the headlamp aiming points. Since MH headlamps are normally an adaptation of auto headlamps, this DIY aiming guide may prove helpful:Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Which light kit did you buy? I may install that on our MH, since the OEM lights are wimpy.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:58 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There are lots of threads on converting to HID. Here is one link to read and consider when making changes to your lighting: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Just be aware that while it may make it easier for you to see, it could cause problems for those coming at you. Imagine someone coming at you at 60 mph on a narrow 2 lane road that are blinded...
RVNewbie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiethco View Post
I found an HID light set up on Amazon. I have 1998 Ford Explorer headlights on my 98 Endeavor so it was an easy match. The only issue was some slight modification to the clamp discs. I ditched em and used hose clamps.
I bought the 55 watt, 6000k system. I think I might only need the 35 watt system, but hey, bigger is better? Maybe not in this case. I don't want to be blinding drivers on the open road so I may tone it down to a 35 watt system. The kits are only $40.00 bucks so I can check the 35 watt system without getting hurt on the cash.
Here's a pic of the new 55 watt 6000k system in action. The 6k is supposed to be a white light and boy is it. Does anyone have experience with this upgrade? Can you tell from the pic if it seems too bright?
Kiethco,
While I don't have experience with messing around with HIDs on any of our vehicles YET, I do on our 2008 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing. And, the kit I purchased and used was darn close to what you purchased. But, I chose the 35 watt bulbs instead of the 55 watt ones. I have tons of light with that system.

One thing you may or may not realize is, HID conversion bulbs, do not broadcast light, in the same manner as the stock bulbs do. So, what that means is, the interior design of your lens, mirrored/fluted back reflectors will broadcast that HID light, in a bit of a different manner. You can do a bit more adjusting and, for the most part, get a semi-correct beam/operating set of characteristics to make them work, without endangering oncoming drivers.

I will say this, while for the most part, it's not going to be a real problem with your coach, just so you know, it's a FEDERAL law that no alterations to ANY light on ANY vehicle can be done, period. Now, this is not meant to scare you or, try and make you change back to your stock bulbs, not at all. It's just there, in the books, as in FMVSS manual that all Highway Patrols carry in the entire U.S.

Just something for you to put on the back burner. Anyway, as stated, mine are the 6000K versions and, they just have a "tinge" of blue in them but, not over powering. I get many nice comments from other Wing riders and the want to do the same.

Our headlights on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, has just "OK" headlights. I too am thinking of changing them over to HIDs.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:30 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
OK...here I go...LOL I'm gonna sound like I'm poking the OP in the chest and I don't mean to but I get freaking sick and tired of folks that do these mods to all manner of vehicle and blinding me at night.

If the HID upgrade was bulbs and ballast only...they are illegal for road use. WHY?

You can NOT properly adjust them because the "hot spot" for the HID bulbs is not in the same place as the stock bulbs. The only way to properly upgrade to HID or LED lights is to find full assemblies that are DOT/SAE approved. BTW, I don't think a lower power HID kit that is not approved will sufficiently improve the glare the will be cast at oncoming drivers.

Now...if the OP installed an approved kit including new reflector assembly that is legal...

If the kit is legal then it is a manner of properly aligning the assembly BUT...in some applications that can be tricky. Typically that gets to be a bit more of a headache when applications like RVs adopt OEM kits designed for automobiles with well designed aiming hardware. I've helped in one installation where we had to use shims to get the assembly into proper alignment.

As referenced below, Daniel Stern is the expert in this field. This is a link on how to aim DOT approved headlights.

Here is a link to my upgrading my headlights to HIDs a couple years ago.

BTW...you will notice this started looking to disable DRLs. DRLs should NOT be run through HID/LED ballasts. It is a good way to trash the ballasts and burn a hole in your wallet. LOL
Old 02-16-2016, 12:08 PM   #6

If you want super bright head lights just leave your brights on all the time. S..r.w the oncoming traffic.
The net results is the same as some of the headlight systems, blinding oncoming traffic.
JMHO....
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:22 PM   #7

HID lights too bright? Picture

The extreme glare of improperly installed and adjusted blue headlights is not only annoying but dangerous to other drivers. The "blinded" time is much too long!
I have very good vision, but....If two or more "blues" come at me in succession, I sometimes must pull over, and my vision is impaired throughout that action. I don't drive my MH at night. My complaints are based on all of the cars on the road, shorter and most vulnerable.
Please do these "upgrades" correctly or not at all. You will avoid being regularly cursed (you can tell by our flashing high beams and possibly a swerve in the traffic lane) by the rest of us!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:08 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What matters is you being able to see the road. Forget about the other guy, its his problem. Im sick of people telling me what I can and cannot do. Any change to lights are illegal? Dont think so. I run with my brights on full time because the stock ones are junk. When people flash me it doesnt matter as I am high enough up that it doesnt blind me. Just a bunch of whiners! Get the brightest most annoying ones you can find that light your path like a runway. Ill take the occasional ticket to be able to see. LOL! Ok, now that all of you are wound up, I'm just kidding. This horse has been beat to death. Everybody knows there are legal ramifications and that all these lights project differently and all these guys are going to continue to do what they do. Stop giving advise and they might stop changing their lights.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:25 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Unless you are looking for a new full time hobby you are going to have nothing but grief trying to convert over to HID. Ask me! The closest I got was ordering in projector lens and adapted them in to control the indiscriminate spray of light one gets from simply installing the HID kit bulbs into halogen housing/reflectors. This of course introduces a whole new set of problems of aiming, right materials that don't melt with intense heat. The closest I've come is looking at some of the very newest of LED bulbs that have just come on the market. Some of them are very close to the focus point of halogen and so tend to do away with the light spray problem. Some heavy reading is also over at HID Planet forum- if you are really commited.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:39 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
No matter what you do, changing from the OEM TYPE of bulbs to anything else really is ineffective. Your OEM bulbs are DESIGNED to work with the design (refraction) of the lens. Adding HID or LED just throws light in all directions without aiming it.

The only true way to change lighting is to change the housing too. I thought the new LED bulbs could used in the OEM housings, but after some research, I found they will do the same as the HID lights and will not focus the pattern.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:53 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I put LED's in my rig a few months ago as well as replacing the drivers side headlight unit that the adjusting screw was broken in. Haven't been able to try them out due to the DW's health problems. With the original bulbs and the misalignment I wasn't able to go 55 without the high beams and driving lights on. The one headlight was useful for spotting owls in the trees on the passenger side though.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:55 AM   #12

I've actually been looking at this kit for my rig as the bulb is adjustable.
Robot Check
Old 02-18-2016, 08:13 PM   #13

Yes, I have some related experience. My 2000 Endeavor also uses 98 explorer headlights. I've installed the 35 watt HID kit from DDM tuning, and have been using it for several years now.

I can not "disagree" with the previous posters objections, but I do believe it is possible to install the HID kits to improve your lighting without blinding the oncoming drivers if you spend some time with headlight alignment after installation. I do not get flashed by oncoming drivers. There are others on this forum that have also installed the HID kits. If you search on "HID Headlights", you will find a lot of reading.

Unless your 98 model was improved over my 2000 model, headlight alignment is non existent. I had to loosen mounting bolts and use wooden shims to facilitate alignment as the manufacturer did not provide any alignment mechanism.

As far as performance, my low beam illumination is greatly improved over the stock headlights. Hi beam is at least as good as what I had with the stock headlights.

I have no experience with the 55 watt versions.

Fred
Old 02-18-2016, 09:14 PM   #14

I really appreciate the feedback. This is what I wanted, honest input and this message board never disappoints.
I also hate being blinded. The clowns with the blue 8k lighting systems are like the Harley guys with loud pipes, in my opinion. Screaming for attention but no benefit from the upgrage or modification.
I added new halogen lights to my fog light holes and they're actually my driving lights before my HID install. The Ford Explorer headlights that came stock are dangerously useless. My plan is to only use the new headlights out on the open road, the 10, 40, 395, 14 out here in California, AZ. If I get a feel for them as being acceptable I'll run 'em all the time. For me this is a safely issue, for me and the other guy.
I'll post up my results after this weekends trip to Butterfield Ranch RV park in So Cal.

kiethco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights