Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
If you are buying a brand new motorhome why d you need a extended warranty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leary54 View Post
If you are buying a brand new motorhome why d you need a extended warranty
I would not purchase an extended warranty on a Brand New MH.
Also Newmar, Tiffin and other already include Coachnet road service on new purchases.

okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
You haven't told us your state of residence where the MH will be titled. NC, you pay $28 for plates, max of $1500 sales tax, Then every year after, property taxes calculated by your county or city. My insurance is about $2000 for a motor home with msrp about $50K more than your proposed purchase. We have clean driving records & when I checked last year this was the best I could find. I find that about $1000 a year will do for all other expenses. Although this year we have probably spent double that, but that was for things we wanted and it just makes it easier but they weren't necessary. Also they were a one time purchase.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm View Post
We are getting close to a purchase of a 2014 MH and I think final price will be just shy of 250,000.
Now not having a pile of extra cash laying around we are wondering how much we have to shell out after the purchase.
Items such as
1-Plates
2-Taxes on purchase
3-Insurance on MH
4-road service
5-extended warranty
Please list amounts and any thing else I have missed
Thanks
6mm
Hidden cost?? no way would call them hidden unless you want to walk into the dealer with your $250K and see just how short you are on money.
All those things you listed can be calculated to the penny YOU just have to make some calls to find out.

Hidden cost would be buying used vehicle with no warrentee and it tossing engine parts on the road 800 miles from home.

Hidden cost are what you save for, but don't plan on spending .
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #19

Hidden cost

None hidden, but by far, deprecation will be your biggest out of pocket expense!!
Old 11-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #20
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
I would not purchase an extended warranty on a Brand New MH. Also Newmar, Tiffin and other already include Coachnet road service on new purchases.
Coachnet road service is not an extended warranty. It's merely a road service policy. I have it but I also have an extended warranty. The reason one should consider buying an extended warranty on a new RV is that some times a seven year policy is cheaper ( by far ) than a four year policy after the third year of ownership. YMMV

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Have you considered the depreciation loss when you drive your NEW coach off the lot? Then there is the down time getting all of the warranty issues corrected. If you don't have any you are among the very few.

I only buy used. The previous owner has worked most of the punch list issues and most of the big issues are already addressed. And I don't take the biggest hit on depreciation, though depreciation is inevitable when you sign the final papers.

One hit we took that we did not count on was our credit score. Because it was looked at for the coach, and I did a refinance on my old coach and my house, the insurance co almost tripled my annual payments.

Your question is a good and valid one. I hope your answers help you with you decision.

One last thing. Avoid a tow dolly like the plague. Putting tire straps on in the mud on a rainy day is absolutely far from making a HAPPY CAMPER!

Happy trails,
Rick
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Coachnet road service is not an extended warranty. It's merely a road service policy. I have it but I also have an extended warranty. The reason one should consider buying an extended warranty on a new RV is that some times a seven year policy is cheaper ( by far ) than a four year policy after the third year of ownership. YMMV
We wouldn't be without an extended warranty on a new coach. We are into year 2, 10000 miles, 200 days in the shop and still have something new come up every time we go out. The extended warranty is our favorite and most useful accessory!
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
ASSUMING you have a suitable vehicle that can be towed 4 down, you are looking at ~ $3,000.00 or more for a base plate installed, the tow bar, and a supplemental brake system for the toad.

A tow dolly will be a little cheaper, but not worth the hassel, IMO, unless you have acar that will work on the dolly, but can't be towed 4 down.
Glad I live in Wisconsin and have a dealer that treats me well. $3000 for a base plate install,must have seen someone coming. Jim
Old 11-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #24

RVJIMMY,
I think I may have misunderstood. I can see $3000 for a base plate plus a tow bar plus an auxiliary braking system, plus labor to install all these. That's about what I paid for the whole package.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #25

Too much in California! 9.5 percent sales tax and 12,000.00 each year in registration fees. Diesel is 4.00 a gallon and insurance is also costly. Roadside assistance and extended warranty will cost an additional 8 percent. Start saving your pennies!
Old 11-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #26

Washington State has sales taxes up around 8% - it varies slightly with local options and can get to around 8.8%. Annual license is weight dependent, but not value dependent. Some larger cities also have extra fees for transit and other things.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimmy View Post
..... $3000 for a base plate install,must have seen someone coming. Jim
I realize I did not word this well, as I meant the whole package: to supply and install the base plate, the tow bar, and a toad braking system could run at least $3K. Just to purchase a base plate and tow bar will run over a grand.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I attended a NKK rally in Alabama last month and the owner of National Indoor RV Center joined us. During his presentation he said to expect to pay 1.5% of the MSRP annually on maintenance. On a $250K MH thats $3750.

FWIW

bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote