Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2016, 06:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
Cats are just mean. I'll bet the cat was just sitting there smiling at you standing out there in the rain.
No, the cats were saying "I sure hope you guys find a way to get back inside before its time to feed us. You have exactly 12 minutes and 32 seconds to do so"!

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2016, 06:48 AM   #16

Just stick your spare key on a lanyard ad hang it in the sewer connection locker - NOBODY GOES IN THERE!

. .

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:54 AM   #17
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The only compartment that didn't lock on my MH was the propane tank access. It also housed the BCC which had a few wire looms. I taped a set of keys to the wire loom with black electrical tape. It looked like it belonged there and no one would've known.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:15 AM   #18

I have a hidden bay key that I can get to, then I have a set of door keys "somewhere" in a bay.........
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:45 AM   #19

The pictured master lock is grest....If yiu can see it!

Darkness or arms to short ( glasses are arm extenders) makes them difficult.

There is another provider that makes a box that is about 4 inches tall by 2 inches wide that has 10 buttons on the front and inside the cover there are knobs that turn to set the code.

They ate either shackle or surface mount.

Advantage is you can go blind and just push buttons.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:04 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
takes 10 seconds and a good pry bar to get a deadbolt rv door open. Happened to the inlaws. they spent more on having the door repaired than they did on the junk that was stolen. All the good stuff was in the hiddy safe that I built for them. Now MIL keeps spare door keys in the frig pan in a orange pill bottle hoping that the bad guys will just find them if they really want in. Takes weeks to get a door from the manufacturer.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:06 AM   #21

Thanks for all the ideas. I like the master lock box. My plan is to mount it in my propane bay since it doesn't lock. i pull a boat behind our coach, sometimes the kids come to see us while were on the water so I'd like to have a key that they can use to get in. Also when we go swimming no one wants to carry a key on them so the idea of a key lock box is a good one.

BTW, I unscrewed and removed my push door lock after hearing the stories of how a dog or cat push and lock the button
Old 08-13-2016, 10:19 AM   #22

I put a residential lock on mine that uses a remote clicker or combination key pad on the door.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:04 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My wife and I both carry a set of keys so we can get back in. It took a while and a small dose of tough love to get my wife to carry her keys with her. She didn't like carrying keys and was always asking me for mine. She'd even leave her set at home when we were traveling. I finally started telling her "sorry, these keys are mine, use yours". She had to wait until I was ready to go back to our RV. She got mad and friends thought I was cruel, but she's been carrying her keys since then and we've never been locked out.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:14 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
I guess I'm a bit confused as to the requirement. The entry door to my DS requires that the key be used to lock it; impossible to lock myself out without a key. Also, anywhere I go away from the coach I will have clothes on, and thus my keys in my pocket.
Ever been in and out of the motor home at a camp site, not going anywhere where you would carry your keys and have the lower (non deadbolt part) lock bumped on the inside by accident? That part of the lock doesn't need a key to lock, just flip the lever down. Then you are stuck on the outside hoping you left a window unlocked. That's why I have a hidden key.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:41 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
...... One of our cats jumped up on the passenger seat to watch us and in doing so stepped on the door lock switch which is right next to the seat arm rest..........

We now have a hidden key, and have disconnected that lock button.....

If you've disabled the poorly designed lock button, then you don't need a hidden key. :-)

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #26

I did the "master lock" box in the propane bay thing. Bolted it in with round head carriage bolts with lock nuts inside the box...pretty tough to get into. The thing about forcing an entry will always be true and a crow bar will always win but you can "alarm" that. I always thought the lock box was just a convenience so I didn't have to drag keys with me and lose them (yup, sometimes that really does happen and on a beach they disappear instantly)
Old 08-13-2016, 03:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
My wife and I both carry a set of keys so we can get back in. It took a while and a small dose of tough love to get my wife to carry her keys with her. She didn't like carrying keys and was always asking me for mine. She'd even leave her set at home when we were traveling. I finally started telling her "sorry, these keys are mine, use yours". She had to wait until I was ready to go back to our RV. She got mad and friends thought I was cruel, but she's been carrying her keys since then and we've never been locked out.
Why would you carry a whole set of keys around with you when it only takes one key to unlock a door?
Lynn
Old 08-13-2016, 03:12 PM   #28
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had an upper and lower lock that required two keys ( a set )
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Why would you carry a whole set of keys around with you when it only takes one key to unlock a door?
Lynn

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote