Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2016, 07:23 PM   #1

Hide a key ideas?

We were recently camping for two weeks. I decided that having a key for the front door would be handy to have somewhere so that we could lock our door while taking a walk, shower etc. My thoughts were to have some kind of lock box in my propane tank bin since it is close to the front door and it doesn't lock.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2016, 07:31 PM   #2

There are all kinds of lock boxes that use a simple combination, and open a small storage space for the key.

Many of my clients use them on gates for solar power fields, but I have seen them used by real estate folks, and car dealers.

Often times the box will have a loop or hook that locks to a door knob or bar at the same time as locking the container shut.

By using the combination lock, you need not carry anything.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:34 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
There are plenty of places on a motor home. Pick one yourself but do not tell everyone on the internet where to look!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There's lots of ideas here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/oops-...er-271514.html
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:09 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just to let you know how good the locks are on RV's. 2 times I have used my keys to unlock my neighbors RV's when they have locked themselves out. One was a Pace Arrow and the other was a 5th wheel. Those were the only 2 times I have tried it so I don't know how common it is. So if you get locked out ask your neighbors to try their keys before calling for a locksmith and spending money.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:15 PM   #6

I put some of these combi locks on some of my compartments and have a front door key hid just put combination in walla not locked out.

Alloy Code Combi Combination Cam Lock Keyless Post Mail Box Cabinet RV 3 Dial | eBay
pop-sicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:30 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't tell you where to put the key, but I can tell you where not to put it. Almost half the time when we removed a refrigerator for service, we found a door key hanging in the refrigerator compartment.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:33 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
We were recently camping for two weeks. I decided that having a key for the front door would be handy to have somewhere so that we could lock our door while taking a walk, shower etc. My thoughts were to have some kind of lock box in my propane tank bin since it is close to the front door and it doesn't lock.
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Here's what I bought and put in the propane compartment. It's not waterproof, but it does work well and you can set your own combination.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KeyLockBox.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	135780  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:25 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hide a key ideas?

I guess I'm a bit confused as to the requirement. The entry door to my DS requires that the key be used to lock it; impossible to lock myself out without a key. Also, anywhere I go away from the coach I will have clothes on, and thus my keys in my pocket.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
I guess I'm a bit confused as to the requirement. The entry door to my DS requires that the key be used to lock it; impossible to lock myself out without a key. Also, anywhere I go away from the coach I will have clothes on, and thus my keys in my pocket.

Now there you go....introducing logic into the situation
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Now there you go....introducing logic into the situation
Spoils the fun doesn't it.
I never go alone but sometimes there is just the wife and me. I have several extra door keys so insist my wife carry along a key and of course I have one I carry separate from the actual key set. I dislike carrying a wad of keys around with me. If several people are along with us I have enough door keys so each person can carry a key with them. If someone splits up from the group and decides to return to the camper they can get in with no problem. If they forget their key and can't get in then that is their fault, not mine. I always try to remember before we leave the campsite to ask, "got your key"?
I also have a key stashed where everyone in our group knows the whereabouts of just in case. If someone or everyone goes off swimming I don't expect they will be carrying a key along with them.
I had 10 extra keys made at a local hardware store for $5.00. Surely beats destroying a door lock to get back into the MH.
Lynn
Old 08-13-2016, 05:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post

Pulled into a campground early one spring and the sign indicated "pick a spot that is empty and we will be around to collect this evening. We pulled into the middle of the campground and popped out to look at a particular spot right on the river to see if we should back in or pull in to enjoy the view out the front windshield.
One of our cats jumped up on the passenger seat to watch us and in doing so stepped on the door lock switch which is right next to the seat arm rest. There we were, on the outside looking in as they say, with the diesel engine running, light rain coming down and no one around for miles!

We now have a hidden key, and have disconnected that lock button
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:24 AM   #13

Cats are just mean. I'll bet the cat was just sitting there smiling at you standing out there in the rain.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:29 AM   #14

I bought this large Masterlock magnetic key case https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-2...rds=Hide+a+key, and am able to store all my external rv keys in it for emergencies. There are lots of places this magnetic box can stick to on an rv. So pick your secret place and your worry of a lock out is gone. This case is inexpensive, waterproof, strong, large enough to hold multiple keys, and has a strong magnet to hold it in place.
SSTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote