Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Careful--sometimes you do get what you pay for. Watch out for small, "mom & pop", low volume retailers. It will cost you alot more than a few cents per gal to get rid of a tank full of water and/or sediment......
While I would agree that this may have been true 20-25 years ago, I don't think it is any longer. There are many more diesel powered vehicles on the road today than there were back then. I can't even remember the last time I heard of anyone who was the victim of bad fuel. It's a rare place whose diesel sits in the ground going stale these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
We bought our first diesel motor home in 2005 and diesel in California was $3.50 a gallon. It dropped to $3.00 for awhile and as high as $5.05. Ten years later it's currently $3.57 a gallon. It's only .07 cents higher now than when we first bought a diesel. We're ecstatic right now and will enjoy the low price as long as it lasts.

The current low price always reminds me of the guys who "yell the sky is falling" and you better sell your RV every time fuel goes up, but you never see them post when it goes back down.

I often think people miss the point of what the discount is on the PenFed card. They see 5% and I think many skip over that as .05 cents, especially when they respond with their .03 cent discount they get for Flying J or other stations.

At $3.50 a gallon, the PenFed card is giving you a little over .17 cents a gallon off. When travelling in areas where we don't know the best prices, we use the GasBuddy App. It doesn't always produce a station we can use, but gives us a good idea what the prices are in the area.

Because this topic often comes up, I kept track of prices last year when we went coast to coast and back to see if the truck stops had better or even equivalent prices. Of all the Flying J's, TA's and Pilot's only one was the same price as local stations, one was cheaper (Havasu exit in AZ) and the rest were about .06-.08 cents higher.

For us, the PenFed card and using gas stations vs truck stops saves us about .20 plus cents per gallon. We don't go out of our way for these stations and can generally find them within a block or off ramp of the truck stops. We're not saving a fortune, but buy the end of the year, the price savings, using the PenFed card, on the motor home and two cars is about $375.00 a year. That's at least two motor home fill ups.
I don't know anything about the PenFed card, but I'm totally with you on purchasing fuel at gas stations vs. the FJs, TAs, Pilots and Love's and their inflated prices that are in place to help compensate for the discounts that they are forced to pass on to the big fleet operators. Plus, there are plenty of other small no-name truckstops across the country that sell volume fuel. They just don't cater to the big fleet operations like the aforementioned do, and they're not located at the bottom of every large city exit ramp. In most cases they're in Smalltown, USA where two or more US and/or state highways intersect. In over 3 years and 21K miles on our coach we've yet to experience a fuel problem.

Excuse me while I go find some wood to knock on now.

Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2014, 08:24 PM   #30

In Tucson my wife shops at Fry's and we save close to $1.00 a gallon.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #31

between july to oct i traveled 5000 miles. mostly i paid $3.65-3.72, the lowest was in las vegas @3.35. i avoided flying j and others which had biodiesel blended in, as we know it just does not produce equal power than pure dino's. i am convinced the best way to find the cheap fuel around you is gas buddy.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #32

If you have Marathon Oil stations in your area you can get $.25 rebate per gallon if you use their Visa card and charge at least $1000 per month on the card.
We use the Visa card for most purchases and pay the complete bill each month; there are no additional service charges. If you don't buy enough fuel each month it rolls over to the next month. I usually receive at least one $25 Marathon rebate card each month.

Mike
Old 11-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #33

High cost of diesel fuel

A perspective:
At $4/gallon I spend about $100 to go 200 miles.
That ain't too bad for moving 37K lbs to the next campsite, with everything we own inside it.
And now it is about 15% cheaper!
But what does that save? About 15 bucks. No big deal, eh? (It will get WORSE again).
At $4.80 gallon, 200 miles would be $120. Minus $15, plus $20. Not huge in the scheme of things.
Bottom line? You can save a pinch here and there, but don't fill up in Indiana or California.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:39 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
A perspective:
At $4/gallon I spend about $100 to go 200 miles.
That ain't too bad for moving 37K lbs to the next campsite, with everything we own inside it.
And now it is about 15% cheaper!
But what does that save? About 15 bucks. No big deal, eh? (It will get WORSE again).
At $4.80 gallon, 200 miles would be $120. Minus $15, plus $20. Not huge in the scheme of things.
That's enough for chips and a twelve pack.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
I think we can all agree that many times the geographical area makes some difference in the price of fuel. Going to a maw-paw station may or may not be a good idea depending on location and the age of the pump equipment. Gas Buddy is a good way to fine good prices but it doesn't tell you if your rig can access the pump.

We try to find low fuel prices as we travel. That is simply a wise thing to do. But, driving 10 miles off the freeway to save .10 a gal makes no sense to me. The fuel used to get there and back is more than the savings. We use the Costco American Express card and the Good Sam card to get the best discount we can at Flying J or Pilot. We try to avoid Loves because they are consistently a ripoff.

We need DEF in this coach. I am still learning about this stuff. This last load at Flying J finally taught me how to properly fill the DEF tank from the pump.

DEF pumps are located on the left at the big truck stops for some reason. My tank is on the right. For this last fill I had to move forward to the tank and wait for the trucker in the lane to my right to finish filling. Then the counter turned on that DEF pump and I was able to extend the hose into my lane to fill my tank.

DEF in the box off the shelf is expensive, relatively speaking. I saved about $7 by pumping 5 gal vs the 2 shelf boxes. That I consider a worthy savings.

Saving money on fuel can be relative. How much did it cost to save .10/gal? Was it worth it in time and travel? And, as a buddy of mine had happen, was the damage to the rig in the small, cheaper, station worth the savings? All worth considering before complaining about the pump price. Yes, I have been burned back east because I didn't check Gas Buddy. The state line was the determining factor by .25/per gal and I payed the higher price. OUCH.

If we are strangers in the area we can only be expected to do the best we can with the resources we have. I guess it all comes down to "buyer beware".

And that is my .05 (inflation).

Rick
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #36

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Gas Buddy is a good way to fine good prices but it doesn't tell you if your rig can access the pump.
I am in total agreement with the key points in your post. But with respect to the issue noted above, if you use MyDat Trucker by DAT Solutions, which has already been mentioned in this thread, you can get prices for ONLY places that have large rig access. This app includes lots of smaller "mom and pop" places as well as the major chains.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #37
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We use the PenFed Cash Rewards Visa card. It gives 5% cash rebate off your bill at the end of the month. Only disadvantage is that you MUST use pay-at-the-pump, you cannot go inside and pay. This means you cannot use the truck pumps at fuel centers because they only accept fleet cards.

In order to get this card you must join the PenFed credit union, which is no problem. You also must put $25 in a Money Market Savings Account. You can use another credit card to do this.

We have saved a LOT of money with this card. For example, assuming that diesel is $3.50 a gallon, you will save about 17 cents per gallon!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
...The Pilot/FJ cards are NOT a credit card...

Yes they are. I use my Pilot/Flying J RV Plus card to pay for my motor home diesel all the time.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Diesel fuel taxes vary between states from about 35 cents per gallon to almost 75 cents per gallon. Here's a link that gives info for all the state's tax rates. http://www.api.org/oil-and-natural-g...ics/fuel-taxes

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #40
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
At many stations, the Gas Buddy app CAN tell you if it's big rig friendly. If you check the Gas Buddy app, there is a photo of the station attached to many of the stations that are listed. I often look at the photo and can tell if I can get my rig in there.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #41

I used to shop for the lowest priced fuel, but some places were difficult to get into as my train is 75' long. Now we just stop where it's convenient when we need fuel. The price is not important in the long scheme of things to me. My card gets me 3% back and that doesn't require any thinking on my part. Besides, I like the hotdogs and the Cin-a-buns at the pilot stations.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
I am in total agreement with the key points in your post. But with respect to the issue noted above, if you use MyDat Trucker by DAT Solutions, which has already been mentioned in this thread, you can get prices for ONLY places that have large rig access. This app includes lots of smaller "mom and pop" places as well as the major chains.
Won't work on Windows phones or pc's.

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel