Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #43
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Sams Club has a new MasterCard credit card that gives you 5% rebate on fuel. The catch is (if I'm reading it right) that you don't get the rebate until the end of the year, and only then if you are still a member of Sams Club and in good standing with the credit card! I got it just to use for purchases at Sams Club, since they would not accept our Visa credit card. I will still use the PenFed Cash Rewards credit card for fuel purchases!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I think we can all agree that many times the geographical area makes some difference in the price of fuel. Going to a maw-paw station may or may not be a good idea depending on location and the age of the pump equipment. Gas Buddy is a good way to fine good prices but it doesn't tell you if your rig can access the pump.

Rick
When I'm using Gas Buddy to plan my fuel stops I also use the Map function that GB provides. It's powered by Google Maps and in the upper right corner of the map you can select Satellite view and then zoom in for a bird's eye view of you prospective fuel stop. You can also take the little yellow man on the street from above the zoom slide bar and drop him on the road in front of, or next to the fuel stop to get a street view. This always helps me to determine if I'm going to fit somewhere. We are 41' ft plus the Jeep and tow bar which probably puts us at around 60-61'.

You can also click on the "Features" of a selected fuel stop in GB and sometimes it will tell you that it is a truck stop.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
When I'm using Gas Buddy to plan my fuel stops I also use the Map function that GB provides. It's powered by Google Maps and in the upper right corner of the map you can select Satellite view and then zoom in for a bird's eye view of you prospective fuel stop. You can also take the little yellow man on the street from above the zoom slide bar and drop him on the road in front of, or next to the fuel stop to get a street view. This always helps me to determine if I'm going to fit somewhere. We are 41' ft plus the Jeep and tow bar which probably puts us at around 60-61'.

You can also click on the "Features" of a selected fuel stop in GB and sometimes it will tell you that it is a truck stop.
Yep, exactly the way I do it.

In well over 150,000 RV miles towing LARGE toads we have NEVER had to disconnect when fueling throughout the lower 48, Canada or Alaska.

PRECISE PLANNING PREDICTS PRIME PERFORMANCE.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
With all due respect to the OP, if you think it costs a fortune to fill your tank now, how will you survive when prices inevitably go back up to over $4/gal? We were in Canada most of the summer and were paying ~$4.75/gal for diesel. It's simply part of the cost of owning a MH; all the discounts that are being discussed here would reduce my typical 60 gallon fill by $5-10 which isn't all that significant when I'm paying $200-250 for fuel.

I'm not suggesting it's not a good idea to try to reduce the cost, but remember that if you start going out of your way to save a few pennies a gallon you'll quickly use up whatever savings you think you're going to get. At 8 mpg these rigs cost 40-50 cents per mile to move. If you're trying to save 10 cents/gal on a 50 gal fill then you'd better not drive more than 10 miles (round trip) out of your way or you won't be saving anything at all.
I could not agree more. We drive about 8-9000 per year. If I went through hoops to save 10 cents per gallon I would not save $90 per year. I pull off the highway at truck
Stops. I go to the truck lanes. A forty foot MH plus toad, no stress. Even if I did 20k a year it would be less than $200 a year, or $17 per month. I'm doing this for fun and relaxation.
That being said, I do try to economize at stopover camp grounds and Overnight parking while traveling. I've learned its not worth driving out of the way to save on a campground for one night! Better off Walleydocking!
This lifestyle is a hobby and getaway for most, treat it that way.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlori View Post
......It costs a fortune to fill the tank on our motorhome with diesel. .......
Unless you've managed to install a 300 gallon tank, or somehow really pi&%ed off the girl at the counter, I guarantee it's not costing you any more than the rest of us.

Enjoy the miles!!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:21 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Unless you've managed to install a 300 gallon tank, or somehow really pi&%ed off the girl at the counter, I guarantee it's not costing you any more than the rest of us.

Enjoy the miles!!
Good Point!

Moreover, the biggest variable is driving skill. Diesels engines need to be driven differently than gas engines and heavy vehicles with diesel engines driven like mini vans will hurt you in the wallet.

I remember averaging about $4.50/gal for fuel some years back, with PU and TT. Fuel has cost about a half hour of minimum wage for something like 50 years.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:57 AM   #49

This is my first year with a diesel motorhome and watching fuel prices. Friday here in central Iowa diesel was at $3.59, to my surprise yesterday morning it was $3.89 while gas remained at $2.89. Is this because they my have switched to a winter blend? I've have a small diesel tractor and lawn mower and never paid any real attention to prices but $ .30 in one day seem a little much.

I topped my tank off a couple weeks ago and winterized. Should I be putting some additive in the tank and then run the generator and take the MH out for a spin to protect the fuel system?

It's a whole new world of stuff to know ...but I'm loving it.

Robby
Robby W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:01 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post

I just installed the GB app on my Windows 8.1 laptop. It looks nothing like you speak of. Mine uses Bing Maps. It's not as you describe. I have used it on my windows phone and all I get is a list.

When you get into the north east this would be very handy. Tight turns and small stations are common. Here in the north west things are not as bad. But, I agree, it is a nice feature. Has GB added DEF to their menu?

It is well stated by others that savings is relative. Travel wise is the key I think.

Rick
Old 11-09-2014, 07:28 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I just installed the GB app on my Windows 8.1 laptop. It looks nothing like you speak of. Mine uses Bing Maps. It's not as you describe. I have used it on my windows phone and all I get is a list.

When you get into the north east this would be very handy. Tight turns and small stations are common. Here in the north west things are not as bad. But, I agree, it is a nice feature. Has GB added DEF to their menu?

It is well stated by others that savings is relative. Travel wise is the key I think.

Rick
Rick, while it states that the "app" is compatible with Windows 8.1, when using your laptop it's more advantageous to use the Gas Buddy website. You are correct. The app does use Bing maps and has no Satellite view capability. I was referring to the website and planning your fuel stops before you begin your trip as opposed to looking for fuel on the fly.

To answer your question about DEF, no, I don't believe they have, or at least I'm not seeing it. I have a pre DEF engine and when I retired from trailer-trucking we were only just starting to get tractors that had DEF engines so I have no experience with it.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #52

High cost of diesel fuel

Over time and miles, 20 cents per gallon does not contribute a bundle to annual savings. But when ie: P/FJ is next to a Maverick, I can maneuver well enough to save $20 per 100 gallons with my 42+Wrangler.
I think this is part of the "travel wise" list.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby W. View Post
This is my first year with a diesel motorhome and watching fuel prices. Friday here in central Iowa diesel was at $3.59, to my surprise yesterday morning it was $3.89 while gas remained at $2.89. Is this because they my have switched to a winter blend? I've have a small diesel tractor and lawn mower and never paid any real attention to prices but $ .30 in one day seem a little much.

I topped my tank off a couple weeks ago and winterized. Should I be putting some additive in the tank and then run the generator and take the MH out for a spin to protect the fuel system?

It's a whole new world of stuff to know ...but I'm loving it.

Robby
That should be a part of your winterizing routine. I am on the move all of the time so I only use anti-gel products. I think Stable makes a water absorption product for diesel. It might be wise to use it too.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Over time and miles, 20 cents per gallon does not contribute a bundle to annual savings. But when ie: P/FJ is next to a Maverick, I can maneuver well enough to save $20 per 100 gallons with my 42+Wrangler.
I think this is part of the "travel wise" list.
x2. Been there. Done that. I have enough Scotch blood in me to look for the due-able bargains.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:27 PM   #55

Spartan Chassis
Wink

Quote:
x2. Been there. Done that. I have enough Scotch blood in me to look for the due-able bargains.
Heavy drinker?? <G>

Andy
3rd stage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #56

Tiffin Owners Club
We use Gas Buddy to research prices, then go to Google Earth to look at access. I avoid BioDiesel like the plague and will call a station if necessary to find out what they are pumping. With 150 gallon tank I have the luxury of range and can pass by a lot of high price gouging states. Use a rebate credit card, it saves more than the FJ "discount." Probably less than 30% of my stops are truck stops, I find with planning I can maneuver a lot of smaller stations. I am 43 ft plus toad, don't need DEF fortunately. There are always a lot of local stations out there who appreciate your business, and you will find that just down the road the big truck centers charge 35 cents more for fuel diluted with French fry oil. They are geared up to service fleet trucks on contract fuel plans, who require all their support services. Work hard to avoid the Bio fuel, it is not cost efficient for you, and may damage your engine fuel system long term.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel