Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2015, 04:15 PM   #1

High end / low end rv

Starting to do the hunt for what we want in a class a gas motor home. People have talked about high end rv's and low end rv's. What do you think are the highs and lows?
grimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 04:29 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
what ever you can afford to enjoy it. Me and DW bought a used Winnebago 33L and had to do things to it to make it ours and LOTS of upgrades the fun part. But it belongs to us no payments.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
what ever you can afford to enjoy it. Me and DW bought a used Winnebago 33L and had to do things to it to make it ours and LOTS of upgrades the fun part. But it belongs to us no payments.
atta boy
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:45 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The basic difference between high end and low end comes from the added glitz of cloth, floors, etc. The chassis and all the appliances are the same manufacture whether high end or low end. You can buy a Chevy or a Cadillac, whats underneath is exactly the same, the different is glitz.

That being said, Newmars are considered high end and Winnebagos are entry level. I personally am partial to Fleetwood products,But we are not into glitz, we are into practical. We have no desire to impress anyone with the amount of debt or money we have spent. We are into the classics and as our signature shows we own what is considered a very old MH, but it gets us point A to point B and we have not had anymore problems with it than have read about from others with way newer MHs.

The big thing is not the glitz, but the floor plan, if you do not like the layout, it will not matter what you have spent. So find what pleases you and your other half and spent what you can afford without going into debt. Making payments on a MH that depreciates makes no more sense than buying a vehicle on time, you will be upside down the minute you sign the papers and will be that way for many years. We personally do not consider a 30 year loan to be fiscally responsible. You are gambling away your future income.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:17 PM   #5

Corian and more bells and whistles as you go up in price. Depending what you want I think there is a middle range that is my sweet spot. I don't care about Solid surface but things like extra batteries, better layouts, more solid cabinetry, better quality furniture, easier access to the dump and fill systems, etc. I tend to regard some of the higher cost things as more to break. YMMV
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #6

Decide what your budget is & look at low end/entry level models. If you don't like what you see consider a mid-range unit that is lightly used. There are tons of rv's for sale. Take your time, do some research & enjoy the shopping.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:11 PM   #7

I would rather have a lightly used high end versus a cheap low end. You can do this at just about any budget level. On used model you will make some changes. On cheap new model you will have to replace many poor quality items.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:17 PM   #8

Just get what you like, they all need up keep. In my experience getting what your most comfortable with results in more use. Neglect is worse than lower quality
RBabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Just my opinion but I believe there is a number of noticeable differences between high and low end coachs.
Cabinets that are either pressed board or solid wood. Stapled together or screwed together. Features like aqua hot and solar panels. Size of inverter, pass though storage, larger generator, higher towing capacity, quality of the fabric and counter tops just to name a few.
Last year at an rv show we sat in the recliner of a low end new coach. After reclining it wouldn't "unrecline". Stuck in the chair. Everytime.
Never saw that in a higher end model.
Folks don't spend $100,000 more just for brighter lights.
Again, just my opinion.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:31 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We bought a high end gas coach and don't regret it. Extras like duel heat pumps, duel furnaces, energy management, built in surge protection, 10 gal. water heater, cedar closet and Moen fixtures just to name a few. Some of the entry level coaches we looked at just didn't offer some of these. Made our travels more comfortable.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:22 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife and I purchased a '97 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 36V used. It required some repairs, but overall condition was really nice. The layout and materials used are what sold my wife. I was concerned with the power plant, drive train, furnace, air and such. While our motorhome may not be considered high end it is far from a low end unit. Buy what you can afford and work with it. Remember, once you turn the key and drive off the lot all RVs are used. By buying a quality older coach it has already taken the big depreciation hit. Make sure the wife likes the layout! If the Mrs is happy everything else will fall in place. JMHO
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:38 AM   #12

We started looking for our first RV in the late summer, thinking 5th wheel then quickly into entry Class As, ended up with a Tiffin, so the original budget went out the window.

Just a couple quick thoughts, but to some degree, a Camry will get you to the same place as a BMW, but (other than maybe my mother) no one will argue that the BMW isn't a nicer car. The question is, what about the BMW is worth more money to you.

One thing that I did not like on the entry level units, was just the Gel Coat finish vs. full paint. Some will laugh at that, and the Jayco 31UL could be ordered with full paint for $12k, but from our perspective, that would be growing money way on an entry level coach, and was a significant amount of the additional cost of the Tiffin........

The chassis on the Tiffin was also heavier, although it has to carry more weight, and we upgraded the standard 22k chassis to 24k after much thought and input.

Cabinets, finish work, etc. all are much nicer in the Tiffin, although we thought the Jayco was much nicer than the Thors and Coachman, and on par with the Winne Vestas.

Also, the lower end coach electronics , such as TV and stereo were not as good either, many Jensen vs. Sony, LG, etc., plus the AV cabling was much better and more accessible too.

In the end, we decided to spend more money to get what we really liked now, vs. thinking coulda shoulda later. In short, if you are happy with the Camry, don't go look at BMWs unless you are ready to write the bigger check .
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:59 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimb View Post
Starting to do the hunt for what we want in a class a gas motor home. People have talked about high end rv's and low end rv's. What do you think are the highs and lows?
Forget highs and lows....lol.

I just found your MH. It's affordable for most and you'll never have to worry about the slides. It's down to $39,500 now.

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 36' Priced at $ 49500
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:08 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpere View Post

......That being said, Newmars are considered high end and Winnebagos are entry level.......
I don't think you could convince any Winnebagos Grand Tour owners to trade for something like a Newmar BayStar. I wish I could afford that Winnie.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote