Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfcons View Post
I agree, there is no trick. Knowing about how much you need is the quickest way to get to the result you want of a faster fillup with high speed pump, but at some point you will have to slow down for the last few gallons. There is a subtle change in the sound when mine is getting close, but still takes maybe 10 gal to fill to neck.
Agree. I too listen to the sound when filling, and you can clearly hear that the sound changes when filling and it's about full. Shut the pump off and let it settle for a few seconds, and continue to fill until the tank is full.

As the foaming of the diesel settles, you can continue to put in a few more gallons.

Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman

Agree. I too listen to the sound when filling, and you can clearly hear that the sound changes when filling and it's about full. Shut the pump off and let it settle for a few seconds, and continue to fill until the tank is full.

As the foaming of the diesel settles, you can continue to put in a few more gallons.
How long is "long enough" to let the foam settle? I wait about a minute, but have no idea if that is "too long" ....

Old 12-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #17

FIX for SLOW FILL, (on 1996 Safari).

For 11 years, (100k miles), my diesel fuel fills took as long as 35-45 minuets, (even with the small pump nozzles), because of the repeated pump stops
A month ago I modified/fixed my fuel tank vent hose.
The last four fills have filled to within 5-7 gallons of COMPLETELY FULL before automatically shutting off.......NO more overfilling........NO more spitting foam.... NO pump stops!...(even when using the high volume truck pumps).

That 3/4" ID rubber vent hose runs from a fitting on the top front of the fuel tank to a fitting on the fill tube, (up near the filler cap).
My vent hose was 5" to longer than it should have been.
That resulted in a droop, (low point), which filled with fuel and restricted the air that must escape as fuel runs into the fuel tank.
The air escaping up the fill tube caused the fuel to foam up in the fill tube, continually shutting off the automatic nozzle.
I disconnected the top end of the hose, pulled the hose to eliminate the droop, cut of the extra 5" and reinstalled the hose.

BTW, I have a friend who had the same "slow fill problem", however his coach has fuel caps on both sides.
To vent the air from his tanks while pumping fuel, he removes both fuel caps while he is pumping fuel.
Reportedly the fuel flows in rapidly, (without foaming or backing up).

Mel
'96 Sahara
Old 12-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Strange, have had multiple diesel trucks for 12 to 15 years and never had a problem with over filling...both sisters have DP and neither have that issue...

As Mel says, it's either venting issues OR
it's the angle of your fill tube...
it's at too shallow an angle to allow gravity to work,
OR it's too narrow,
OR it's got too many turns too soon
and either of these forces it to back up...
Old 12-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
Whenever I fuel at a high volume pump I have to stand right there and hold the trigger so that it's just cracked open a bit. I have to ensure the nozzle is in the fill tube as far as I can get it and I have to hold it at an upward angle. Otherwise, it will just shut off on me. Evidently the angle of the fill tube is enough that it causes fuel to back up in the tube and trigger the auto-shutoff.

I've heard other Beaver owners that have had the same problem.
WOW!! you go to high volume pumps and hold the trigger so that it's just cracked open a bit(low volume)? why dont you just fill up at the low volume pumps?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trampsrv View Post
WOW!! you go to high volume pumps and hold the trigger so that it's just cracked open a bit(low volume)? why dont you just fill up at the low volume pumps?
It's not quite that simple. Quite often we don't fit in the so-called RV islands. With the Jeep in tow we are in excess of 60 feet long and I have no intention of placing myself in a position where I have to unhook the Jeep because a coach with a toad attached doesn't lend itself to going very far in reverse.

FWIW, I prefer not to fuel at the truckstops (high volume pumps) at all. The high volume pumps usually come with high fuel prices.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
How long is "long enough" to let the foam settle? I wait about a minute, but have no idea if that is "too long" ....
I can fill mine with the big nozzle. I just have to be careful, knowing how many gallons it will take, and as it gets close to full, I either listen for the full gurgle, or for the last 5-10 gallons I slow the nozzle down to it's lowest setting.

Once it shuts off, hopefully without burping out diesel fuel, the foam will settle in 10-15 seconds. Then nurse it full by hand. You probably will get about 2-3 more gallons in it this way without spilling any fuel.

I am almost always successful filling this way w/o having any diesel fuel 'burp' back out.

However... I just topped mine off last week, only needing 10 gallons. I made the mistake of letting the attendant manage the nozzle (and it was the smaller one), and sure enough, he kept it on 'high' and the diesel came burping out the fill opening when it was about full. I could even hear it, but my bad, I did not say anything to the attendant.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #22

I always get a little "Burp" just before it shuts off. Just enough to be anoying and causing a mess down the side of my rig.

So, I use one of the Absorbent Rags and put it under the flap of the bowzer. When the Burp happens, the rag absorbs the spill and all is well. Just toss the rag in the Environmentally safe container, pay the lady and off we go.

Tags
diesel