Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2015, 02:02 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the pump says Marine Fuel, it's probably non-ethanol.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Toad

2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2015, 01:12 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ethanol added to fuel reduces the amount of energy/gallon. Ethanol loves water, and can cause problems to the fuel system if it takes on enough water. Some engines, usually older, just can't run well on gas with almost any amount of ethanol in it.

And some avoid ethanol because they are powerless to it.(couldn't resist)

Old 07-22-2015, 08:15 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Several stations in our area have it. Our new quick trip has it also

You can do a google search in your area to find a list of stations that carry non ethanol fuel.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:36 AM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know there is no proof or evidence, but I did put 93 or 91 whichever was available higher octane in the coach in Colorado in the heat of summer and it really helped improve performance in that hot traveling time.

I do notice on the car when driving to work that it doesn't have to downshift when I put premium unleaded in it and it definitely has more off the line torque than when putting in 87 octane.

No proof of any of that, just the way it feels, sounds and performs.

So it may be a waste of money, I am not an engineer, but I can tell the difference, especially in the higher temp months of the year like now.

I cannot tell as much difference in the winter or cooler months.

Does that sound crazy? I know it may, but I do swear that it makes a performance issue for sure in the car and in the motorhome that year I was in the 100+ heat in the higher altitudes, weird, I know, because I've seen and heard there is not a difference.

Maybe I'm having my stroke in installments....
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
Where do you find non ethanol fuel? Seems everywhere I go it 10%
There is an app for that. On android it is called Pure Gas.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
I know there is no proof or evidence, but I did put 93 or 91 whichever was available higher octane in the coach in Colorado in the heat of summer and it really helped improve performance in that hot traveling time.

I do notice on the car when driving to work that it doesn't have to downshift when I put premium unleaded in it and it definitely has more off the line torque than when putting in 87 octane.

No proof of any of that, just the way it feels, sounds and performs.

So it may be a waste of money, I am not an engineer, but I can tell the difference, especially in the higher temp months of the year like now.

I cannot tell as much difference in the winter or cooler months.

Does that sound crazy? I know it may, but I do swear that it makes a performance issue for sure in the car and in the motorhome that year I was in the 100+ heat in the higher altitudes, weird, I know, because I've seen and heard there is not a difference.

when we went out to south dakota 3yrs ago my ford excursion was geting 12mpg ,as i got closer to the west the mpg went up i started to use high test out there and the truck was getting 19mpg ,doesnt work like that on the east coast with what they put in the gas
Old 07-22-2015, 11:19 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Hurricane1 Send a message via MSN to Hurricane1 Send a message via Yahoo to Hurricane1
87 octane for my trucks and motorhome
Hurricane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:53 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post

It doesn't entirely sound crazy. However, a few things are in play:

1) At high temperatures and/or high altitudes, there is less oxygen available. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but it can be a pretty big power hit, maybe 25%. Pilots call this "density altitude" and it can change required take off distance by 100% because motors don't make as much power. This is unrelated to fuel, but it's a big power difference. 25% power reduction can easily be 75 hp or more.

2) If at high temp / high altitude, your computer is actively retarding timing due to pre-detonation, then higher octane would help. We'd expect them to be tuned for high temperatures without having to retard timing, but that *might* not always be the case with motorhome loads. If it is reducing timing, then higher octane solves that problem... Some OBD-II diagnostics might be able to display current timing retard/knock sense - they definitely can display total timing...

Note ethanol itself is actually higher octane (less energy) than gas. Running E85 (on vehicles that can do it) it allows about the same timing as 100 octane gas, so you can really get more timing.. It's advantageous only to turbo motors that can really take advantage of it. Everyone else, it nets power loss...
Old 07-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #23

Don't know if it's true, but I have heard the the higher octane gas either does not contain ethanol, or has less of it.

Thanks for the tip about the app gor the non ethanol gas.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:19 PM   #24

Just loaded the pure gas app. It's pretty slick, however I would have to drive around 100 miles to get non ethanol gas :(
Maybe I'll use it while traveling.