Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #15

I don't have a Ford (as indicated by my sig) but I've heard a similar noise from the rear of my coach at times.

I believe it's the in-tank fuel pump. I have a 75 gallon tank that can act as an amplifier and I'm guessing that at certain fuel levels it amplifies the natural fuel pump frequency.

Of course if my fuel pump dies an unexpected death in the coming days, please disregard my thoughts on the matter.

Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 05:45 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
The video seems to make the noise excessively loud. The fuel pumps do make some noise but it should be a faint back ground noise. You could take it to a dealer but unless they have a 2011 F53 chassis to compare it to, they may no problem found it. I just worked on a 2011 22000LBS chassis and I don't remember the pump being that loud. I would compare it to another 2011 myself and come armed with that info if the pump is excessively loud. Fuel pump issues are not common by any means but it can happen.
The video is a good representation of the sound. I don't have to get under there to hear it. I can stand at the back of the coach and can hear it. I talked to another guy on these forums who own the same coach and he does not have that sound. So what are you guys' consensus? Should I take this to the dealer and have them replace it? We only got the thing on Friday. You think they should replace it at no charge? And is this something covered under warranty? I'll have to go through the book today.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
I don't have a Ford (as indicated by my sig) but I've heard a similar noise from the rear of my coach at times.

I believe it's the in-tank fuel pump. I have a 75 gallon tank that can act as an amplifier and I'm guessing that at certain fuel levels it amplifies the natural fuel pump frequency.

Of course if my fuel pump dies an unexpected death in the coming days, please disregard my thoughts on the matter.
Hey Koop. How long has your been doing that?
Old 05-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec24 View Post
Hey Koop. How long has your been doing that?

I've only heard it a couple of times so I don't really know. That's why I think it's related to how much fuel is in the tank. At a certain level it may be resonating and amplifying the sound of the electric fuel pump. A few months ago I heard it really singing when I stood at the back of the coach with the engine idling. Haven't heard it since then. I've put about 500 miles on it since I last heard the sound.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post

I've only heard it a couple of times so I don't really know. That's why I think it's related to how much fuel is in the tank. At a certain level it may be resonating and amplifying the sound of the electric fuel pump. A few months ago I heard it really singing when I stood at the back of the coach with the engine idling. Haven't heard it since then. I've put about 500 miles on it since I last heard the sound.
Was that when your fuel tank was full/nearly full?
Old 05-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #20

I have no insight into what may be causing the problem, but if it bothers you (and clearly it does) you should definately take it back to the dealer. You indicated that you have only had it for a few days. I suspect that since it is a 2011 model that you are a second owner? I would think that any reputable dealer would work with you to solve the issue, especially being so soon after the sale.

Please post back whatever the resolution is to keep us all informed.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
At our dealership it was loud with some motorhomes and quieter on the same chassis with anouther. Our ford Rep. said they had investigated and found there were no higher failure rates on the loud ones. They investigated and found some part of the pump and arm assy. was touching the tank and causing the higher noise level. I would not worry about it.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
At our dealership it was loud with some motorhomes and quieter on the same chassis with anouther. Our ford Rep. said they had investigated and found there were no higher failure rates on the loud ones. They investigated and found some part of the pump and arm assy. was touching the tank and causing the higher noise level. I would not worry about it.
Well that makes me a feel a little better. I called the dealership today - our sales guy wasn't in and neither was the service manager so I'll have to call back tomorrow.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #23

Quote:
The video is a good representation of the sound. I don't have to get under there to hear it. I can stand at the back of the coach and can hear it. I talked to another guy on these forums who own the same coach and he does not have that sound. So what are you guys' consensus? Should I take this to the dealer and have them replace it? We only got the thing on Friday. You think they should replace it at no charge? And is this something covered under warranty? I'll have to go through the book today.

I believe the fuel pump is covered under 3/36, I don't believe it is under the 5/60 warranty but may be. If the noise is excessive when compared to other like units, then it would be warrantable. Some pumps are naturally louder than others with no reliability issues.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Was that when your fuel tank was full/nearly full?
It was nearly full at the time. Since then I've listened with it full and haven't heard it.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
I believe the fuel pump is covered under 3/36, I don't believe it is under the 5/60 warranty but may be. If the noise is excessive when compared to other like units, then it would be warrantable. Some pumps are naturally louder than others with no reliability issues.
I think you're right, james. Looking on the web it appears that is is covered under the powertrain 5/60 by Ford. I'll take a more detailed look at my warranty book when I get back home.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just wanted to say that I just had some of the best customer service from Ford. Ford has there own motorhome hotline for the chassis and the woman there was super friendly and helpful and Dan at Hampton Ford up here in NH was extremely helpful and friendly as well! So many times company's "customer service" is anything but, with people sounding more like they're annoyed that you called. This was certainly a pleasure!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Brought the thing to Ford. They replaced the pump. Sound is still there :( Oh well. Guess I'll just have to deal with it.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #28

I dd an experiment today. My fuel tank was ~1/2 full. With the engine idling I walked to the rear of the coach and I could hear the fuel pump singing as I stood behind the trailer hitch area.

I drove the gas station and filled the tank. When I returned home I walked behind the coach with the engine idling. I couldn't hear the fuel pump until I bent down below the trailer hitch and cocked my ear towards the tank - I could hear it then but only faintly.

This seems to support my theory of the tank amplifying the sound when it has a certain amount of air space above the fuel level. I'm not going to worry about it.

Tags
bounder