Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
High pitched whine underneath the coach when engine's running '11 Bounder Classic

Ok - I'm new to the motorhome world so bear with me I noticed the noise when I brought the coach home on Saturday, it seems the loudest at the rear end. It's not all that loud, but really high pitched and only when the engine is running - nothing else on. This is the second sound I need to get to the bottom of - first one is wheel? squeaking. Anyone know what might be causing this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spec24 View Post
Ok - I'm new to the motorhome world so bear with me I noticed the noise when I brought the coach home on Saturday, it seems the loudest at the rear end. It's not all that loud, but really high pitched and only when the engine is running - nothing else on. This is the second sound I need to get to the bottom of - first one is wheel? squeaking.
90% of the time the wheel squeak is the hubcap flexing against the wheel. Walk along the side of the motorhome, determine which one is making the noise. Remove the cap. drive again. if it has stopped put some small pieces of rubber between the wheel and the cap. I have probably done a hundred of them.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks. Yeah, that's what someone else had said. I haven't had a chance to get back in and drive it yet to test the different theories. No idea about the whine? Seems like the kind of noise one might hear from a leaky vacuum system - but I'm just reaching here
Old 05-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #4

I would check bearings on the alternator and power steering pump. I have a purchased a scope at Harbor Freight which is useful in locating bad bearings.
I would check the brakes squeaking if it is not the hubcaps.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
It might be a bad bearing in a belt tensioner,just a thought. Jim
Old 05-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
I would check bearings on the alternator and power steering pump. I have a purchased a scope at Harbor Freight which is useful in locating bad bearings.
I would check the brakes squeaking if it is not the hubcaps.
Problem with the above ideas; not moving so brakes wouldn't squeak. spec24 said it's loudest in the rear, and vehicle is a front engine Ford so alternator or power steering pump is at the other end.

Might be the fuel pump or even the converter/charger, but that's just a WAG. If it did happen when moving, I'd think differential, but that noise changes with acceleration or slowing.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well shoot! I was hoping someone would say "Oh that? That's just the ........" Seems to me this should have been something the dealer took care of before I drove it home but I know how that goes. I'll get under there for a closer look tomorrow but my guess is it'll have to head back to the dealer before I head south. Thanks everyone!!!
Old 05-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I forgot to mention that the leveling jacks are down while the engine is running and I hear this noise. Might there be anything related to that occurring? I will lift them tonight when I get home and see if the noise is still there.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
The only thing to make a noise in this area when sitting still and the engine running is the fuel pump. Crank the engine a go under the motorhome and put your ear to the fuel tank. I believe you will find it is the pump.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Yep, probably the in-tank electric fuel pump. Have some turn the key on, but do not start the engine, while you are where you can hear the noise. If it's the fuel pump you should be able to hear it for a few seconds before it automatically shuts off.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think you guys are right. Crawled under there tonight to get a listen and it's coming from the gas tank. Here's a recording of it

Looked this issue up on the web and people are all over the place with this one. Some saying the thing is about to go while others are saying this is common and not to worry. Thoughts on this?

-- seems odd the fuel pump would go at 14k miles.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
How full is the tank? If it's near empty, it would be a big echo chamber. Also, if you wait a few years, or go to a concert or two, you won't hear that frequency anymore!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
How full is the tank? If it's near empty, it would be a big echo chamber. Also, if you wait a few years, or go to a concert or two, you won't hear that frequency anymore!
Nope - tank is nearly full. I'l think about taking your advice
Old 05-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #14

The video seems to make the noise excessively loud. The fuel pumps do make some noise but it should be a faint back ground noise. You could take it to a dealer but unless they have a 2011 F53 chassis to compare it to, they may no problem found it. I just worked on a 2011 22000LBS chassis and I don't remember the pump being that loud. I would compare it to another 2011 myself and come armed with that info if the pump is excessively loud. Fuel pump issues are not common by any means but it can happen.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder