Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2014, 05:17 PM   #1

High rise Austin condo or an RV ?

I get the depreciating asset issue but im ready to live a little.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #2

Could you stand being in the same condo ; 365 ; that's the RV advantage.
If you don't like the , view, neighbour, weather.... whatever, turn the key and change whatever. Faster than listing the condo and packing up your belongings.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #3

Is this for full-time living or 2nd home? Are you retired?

You'll pay monthly condo association fees and close to $10K in annual property taxes with the condo. And, unless we get a city council with some real business sense, who knows what other fees they will come up with!!! I work downtown but recently downsized and moved out of the city limits to a small garden home....much cheaper. This way I can afford a permanent home (for retirement in a few years) AND a motorhome. To me, this is the best situation.
hutchg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:19 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
It is very difficult to drive a "High Rise Condo in Austin TX" all the way to key West Florida to watch both the Sunrise and Sunset from your patio or to Fairbanks Alaska to see the Aurora Borealis or to New England in the Fall Season to see the Fall Foliage change to a variety of magnificent colors or to the edge of the Grand Canyon to see the Sun reflecting off of the vastly different shades along the canyon walls.

I chose appreciating life versus worrying about a depreciating asset.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-19-2014, 08:34 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
High rise Austin condo or an RV ?

If your planing on living in the Rv in one spot and not moving it frequently I vote condo ! living in the equivalent of small single wide in a trailer park ? the condo has tons of advantages !! Real appliances and a real toilet not a pit toilet and better construction and insulation
Now if as you imply you intend to travel the US .....the RV is just the ticket !
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:44 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hello fellow Austinite. I had a houseboat on Lake Travis for 10 years. Used it for weekends and fulltime for a couple years. We got our coach a couple months ago after almost a year of looking. DW loved the houseboat, but likes the coach more. Loves the change of scenery. We just got back from our first trip. Hog game in Fayetteville AR where daughter goes. It was as good as it gets and we can't wait for our next trip. If you love the nitelife downtown Austin is as good as it gets. If you want a real adventure that will feed your mind (learning all there is to learn) and soul my vote is the coach. I had the same choice as you. Good luck!!! GO HOGS!!! JD
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
It is very difficult to drive a "High Rise Condo in Austin TX" all the way to key West Florida to watch both the Sunrise and Sunset from your patio or to Fairbanks Alaska to see the Aurora Borealis or to New England in the Fall Season to see the Fall Foliage change to a variety of magnificent colors or to the edge of the Grand Canyon to see the Sun reflecting off of the vastly different shades along the canyon walls.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I like this ! Whens it best to visit New England ? What month ?
Old 09-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
RV for sure! There's no question here
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:06 PM   #9
HHg

Born and raised in Austin, Texas. I'll take my RV over one of the downtown condo's in a heartbeat. "Downtown" ain't what it once was.....We live fairly central and upon both of us retiring, I'm going to sale my house so quick.

Hhg
Old 09-19-2014, 08:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Wow you really hit the nail on the head!!
Old 09-19-2014, 09:41 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post

Wow you really hit the nail on the head!!
I've been there and done that in all four places plus thousands of other wonderful places and memories that can never taken away.

My bucket list is still overflowing of new places to see and experience.

I don't think I would EVER be happy in a condo!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-20-2014, 12:14 AM   #12

Austin condo or rv

THANK YOU All !!

I needed that confirmation ........it's a big investment.

1 month from empty nest but probably 5-10 years away from retirement but I want to do this now to watch son pitch in big 12, longhorn tailgates , guy trips with my son and father while he is still here. Took 3 weeks last year west......Tetons, sturgis, moeb etc. got home and was for the first time ever depressed to return to Austin. I can't stop thinking about all the things to do...to include falling in love with my wife again now that the kids are out.

I've been shopping for a year and is feel like I might get to much coach but this seems like a purchase you don't want to have to do again. Just saw the new London aire from newmar or maybe I should get the am coach 2008 for only 175,000 to be safe. I've never regretted buying what I thought was the best for me but this decision seems harder to make............thoughts ?

The eagle is propane and no aqua hot with 28,000 miles and has been well cared for.

The entegras seem like a great value and u can pick up a cornerstone around 4

The new mars seem very well done but all sales folks tell me they all ride great and the comfort drive is no big deal....is it ?

Thank you all once again for your input and for sure it will be an rv and keep this house.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:26 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good decision! Just stay away from any Austin Condo forums. They will try to convince you that they have the real deal!. Go Hogs!
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:06 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHg View Post
I'll take my RV over one of the downtown condo's in a heartbeat. "Downtown" ain't what it once was.....
Hhg
Amen brother, we don't even go downtown anymore, we even try to avoid going downtown its such a mess now.

Buy the RV and enjoy the travels! Hook-em!