Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
High Tire Pressure Question

Prior to the trip that we are on now i re-installed my tire pressure monitoring system. I set the front tires for 90 pounds and the rear tires for 80. This morning I turned on the monitor and everyone of the tires was 3 to 5 pounds higher that what I set them for. So after driving about two hours I was getting alerts of the pressure being up. I am trying to figure out why they was higher.

Should I let some air out? I have seen something before that higher elevation will increase the pressure. My home is just out of New Orleans and the elevation is about 21 feet. I am traveling North into Arkansas and of course the elevation is higher.

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Prior to the trip that we are on now i re-installed my tire pressure monitoring system. I set the front tires for 90 pounds and the rear tires for 80. This morning I turned on the monitor and everyone of the tires was 3 to 5 pounds higher that what I set them for. So after driving about two hours I was getting alerts of the pressure being up. I am trying to figure out why they was higher.

Should I let some air out? I have seen something before that higher elevation will increase the pressure. My home is just out of New Orleans and the elevation is about 21 feet. I am traveling North into Arkansas and of course the elevation is higher.
What was the temperature when you set the pressures, and what was the temperature this morning?

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #3

we used to drive for years without all this technology and everything worked fine,. Now we have all this information and it alarms us. Set it to the manufactures suggestion and for get about it. They have done way more research into pressures and temps than we ever thought about. All I care about is do I have one going low pressure via slow leak or a failure.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No, don't let air out. Two hours from NO doesn't give you any real elevation change. Probably just a gauge and temp difference from last night to this morning.

Question: what did you set for the high pressure trigger on your TPMS? Usually about 20 lbs is recommended. A few weeks ago I was getting high pressure alarms climbing 4000 ft in 100 degree weather. That's the kind of change it takes to really boost your tires. When you get up into northwest AR, then you'll have some elevation.

Reset your tire pressure to the desired point after you stop tonight, after the tires have cooled for a couple hours. Also, make sure your TPMS parameters are set wide enough to let you operate normally. My system (TST) recommends the high limit at +20lb, and the low limit at -10lbs. Good Luck!
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I don't recall what the temps were when I set up the monitors. It was about an hour earlier than this morning.

I have the Tire Minder model and I do not recall a setting for high pressure.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
As you drive down the road your tires and pressure will increase 10 to 15 lbs which is normal.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Somewhere in the set up instructions it walks you through 'telling' the Tire Minder what pressure you are using. I left my triggers at the suggested settings (default) and when mine climb 10 or even 15 pounds in the hot day driving, I get no nuisance warnings. I really think you should check that you have told it your starting pressures which you do once for each tire. Good luck, I really like my system.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #8

Effect of tire pressure and altitude. Be more generous with your settings, a 20% loss of recommended tire pressure is considered "run-flat", higher than sidewall pressure is built-into the tire so changes in altitude have little effect on the tire_unless you plan to reach 30,000 feet like an airplane.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:45 PM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Going back to basic chemistry, a change of ambient temperature from, for example, 60 F to 80 F is the same as a change from ~15.5 C to ~26.5 C. Pressure changes in accordance with the ratio of temperatures but the temps have to be measured in degrees Kelvin (relative to absolute zero). For this example, that would be a change from 288.5K to 299.5K. So the pressure in the tire will increase by 299.5/288.5 = 3.8%. So if your tires are inflated to 90 psi as the OP says, this would be an increase of 3.4 psi which is about what he reported.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:05 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post

I have the Tire Minder model and I do not recall a setting for high pressure.
You DO NOT set the Tire Minder for high pressure! You set it for the pressure you put in the tire. The high pressure warning goes off at +20 PERCENT (not psi). High temp is not owner set either...At 167F an intermittent beep sounds and at 185F it goes to a solid beep.
Per the manual, which is on their web site should anyone care to read it...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
You DO NOT set the Tire Minder for high pressure! You set it for the pressure you put in the tire. The high pressure warning goes off at +20 PERCENT (not psi). High temp is not owner set either...At 167F an intermittent beep sounds and at 185F it goes to a solid beep.
Per the manual, which is on their web site should anyone care to read it...
Hal is absolutely correct. X2.

Last trip out, my Tireminder TPMS was showing one tire at the same temperature and pressure 30-40 miles into the trip, which was extremely unnerving, as the other tires were increasing in tire pressure and temperature (5-8 lbs each and around 8-12 degrees) that one monitor continued to send the same information, except, I didn't realize it until later, when it finally came up to within range of the others.

Technology is NOT perfect, by any means. However; I'd take the glitches over no info at all on these systems.

OP: Re-read your Minder Research instructions, it will tell you like Hal said and I'm saying, set the pressure for the cold, morning, startout pressure in the mornings. I run 82 in my rear 4 and 90 in my front two. Thats' what the pressures are set to on the control unit.

Hope this helps!
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I live in NW Arkansas the mountains here will not be a big difference on your tire pressures. I have a tire minder on my rig and when I was at 4000 feet going to see the giant Sequoya trees I did not have a problem with tire pressures. I notice my pressures going up because of heat from driving on hot roads during the summer. I originally set my over pressure warnings too low. When I drove across the Mojave desert I had over pressure warnings all over the place. I do not really worry about overpressure warnings to be honest. Tires are going to heat up as they get hot. I worry more about under pressure warnings to let me know if I have a leak or if one of the tires suddenly starts reading a higher temperature than the others. which I would think was an indication of something wrong with the tire causing it to flex and generate more heat .
Old 07-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #13

I would like to get one of these systems, but it seems that the false alarm ratio to actual tire problems is very high. Since I don't own one, I am just going off what I am reading in the forums.
Does this technology need more refinements, or is it actually reliable?
I have a system that came with my car. Never even know it is there. Alarmed once when I had a slow leak, so it did its job. So I want a TPMS that works like my car, no false alarms.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
There's no false alarms if they're installed and set properly. The problem is when the alarms are set wrong.