Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2017, 06:01 PM   #1

Higher end older gas vs newer entry level gas

Hi,

I see a lot of posts comparing older diesel class A's to higher end gas models, but not any comparing older higher end gas models to newer entry gas models.

If you had a choice which would you choose?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2017, 06:48 PM   #2

I choose a gas Class A an older National Sea Breeze Lx 8321 2slides 2AC 8.1 Vortec Oman 5500 runs good pulls good and did I say cheap brake recall along with two other recall so old can't read them. Do all my own maintenance added new 32 LED DVD Radio back slash in kitchen next is flooring we also add a sleeper sofa and new queen mattress.
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:52 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum.
The contrast may be due to more recent diesel particulate emission standards and the addition of DPF and DEF injection systems.
Gasoline engines have not had the recent emission standards changes in the same time frames.
Your choice of a propulsion systems is based on many factors that are predicated largely on your initial expenditure and prolonged operating budget. In entry level coaches these lines are more fuzzy.
Due to shear weight restrictions put on some higher end units there may not be a viable gasoline powered option available in terms of HP and torque requirements. Often in high end coaches drive ability starts to be a comparable feature as much as the other creature comforts. Perhaps an apples to oranges thing.
Not really sure if this answers your questions.
Best of luck.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:46 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To me it comes down to usage model. Before we retired we were in weekend and vacation mode. Short trips in both time and distance. Gas coach was perfect. Now in retirement we are part timers doing cross country trips of multiple months duration, so mived to a DP. If we were still in weekend and vacation mode, we would still have the gasser.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:48 PM   #5

Thanks all for the replies,

I was hoping for input on the differences between different gas model levels.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:55 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Workhorse Chassis with 8.1 Vortec and 6 speed Allison is hard to beat, unfortunately they are no longer making them. I have seen some newer Gas RV's that look really good but the only gas option now is Ford based.

My rear engine gasser is (IMO) the best gas chassis ever built. I wish they were still available as I would probably be shopping for a new Coach.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:00 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Please keep this discussion on input of older/high end vs new/entry level GAS coaches, as the OP has requested. Thank you.

To answer the question, I'd choose older/high end if it was well taken care of. For the savings, I could upgrade the older one with most anything a new one has & have a coach the bugs have already been worked out. However, I would be cautious of coaches made 2008-2010 during the economy downturn. Many mfrs went through bankruptcy, went out of business & lost highly experienced design/assembly personnel. I feel the coaches at that time may have suffered in the quality dept. Also new coaches have all sorts of issues nowadays vs when mine was mfr'd.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:16 PM   #8

Not quite sure what your question is. Are you asking about the build quality? Or are you asking about the age-old question, gas vs. diesel? For me, it boiled down to age. Which lasts longer? Due to my budget restrictions, I needed to focus on units 15+ years old. Gassers simply don't last as long IMHO. They have lighter duty engines and transmissions. On the other hand, as I am rapidly finding out, diesel costs more to maintain. A tranny service for an Allison is out of sight cost-wise and I had to have it done to make sure the tranny will last. Engine oil changes are also expensive, partly because engine oil is measured in gallons, not quarts. Then there are air brakes.... Still, I'm still happy with my choice of a DP. I don't like carrying upwards of a 100 gallons of gasoline, a volatile fuel. Also, carbon monoxide... also a generator powered by gas and most likely using a carbeuretor which is another problem area. As for build quality, it depends on who built the RV. Newmar, for example, builds quality no matter what propulsion. But does Newmar target its gas units to lower end consumers? Dunno.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:23 PM   #9

My apologies if I did not make my question clear. It was my intention to ask for input between higher end older gas models and newer entry level ones.

Thanks,
Old 06-23-2017, 10:07 PM   #10

I have a new gas model, entry level that like most, had several items that required tweaking and a trip to the factory service center.

Now that the bugs have been worked-out, I'm happy. Although... the tinkering and upgrading will continue as time and disposable income allows.

So, my dollars voted for new entry level.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:03 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"1stMH"....I think I understand what you're asking and here is my opinion. Often, when people are shopping for a coach, they look at the price of a new gas motor home, let's say $100K versus an 8 year old well built diesel for a $100K. The reason that comparison is done, is that TYPICALLY diesels are built on a more substantial chassis with more high end components. I don't think it can be argued that a quality built diesel will last much longer than a gas motor home.

With that said, a gas motor home is not built to the heavy duty standards of a diesel pusher. There is really nothing significant between a Ford powered 2006 and a Ford powered 2017. The 2017 may have a little more horsepower and some newer electronics, but gas motor homes can only carry so much weight. Consequently, you're not going to find a gas motor home built to such a level that it will endure as long as a diesel. The diesel to gas comparison is apples to oranges. The gas to gas comparison is apples to apples.

Are their better quality gas coaches.....yes, but not to a level like you have when you compare diesel to gas. You'll often see beautiful diesel coaches that are 20-25 years old, but will rarely see a gas coach that looks as good when they hit the 20-25 year mark.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:13 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
With the rapid changes in technology, the newer ones are much more interesting, shall we say. After the mid '90's quality went for a dump and since then it is a rare occasion you will find a rig with the same care and workmanship going into it. IMHO.
Happy Glamping in whatever you buy!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:27 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quality is always best. I would definitely buy older quality coach over newer economy coach. We had a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow which was/is a cut above many other gas coaches. Solid wood cabinets, good quality fixtures, solid surface countertops, porcelain toilet, etc. It was of contemporary interior design, so not dated looking at all.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:31 AM   #14

Older gas vs new entry level gas?

To me it was a budget/use decision. Previously purchased used gas C and then a slightly used diesel A. Was able to purchase our current gas A new for a few thousand (5-6.000) more than one 2-3 years old gas A.To me it was worth the extra dollars for warranty, newer technology, etc. I believe the coaches overall get a little better every year. If I bought my coach new today it would have a 6 speed transmission vs my current 5 speed as an example.

For us, finding the "right" coach was more about class type, (A,B,C) and size/layout than new/used and gas/diesel.

Tags
gas