Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2017, 02:38 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Highway Robbery!???

I'm stuck in Silver Lakes Fl with a seized alternator and received an estimate for a replacement. The mobile rv service I contacted out of Fort Myers quoted me $1,450 just for the part.

Is this a reasonable price for a 160 amp Leece Neville pad mount alternator for my Cummins ISC 330 ('07 Monaco Knight)?

Might anyone know a good source a new alternator or a rebuild in the Naples area?

Your input will be most appreciated.

Stan
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2017, 03:16 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
I'm stuck in Silver Lakes Fl with a seized alternator and received an estimate for a replacement. The mobile rv service I contacted out of Fort Myers quoted me $1,450 just for the part.

Is this a reasonable price for a 160 amp Leece Neville pad mount alternator for my Cummins ISC 330 ('07 Monaco Knight)?

Might anyone know a good source a new alternator or a rebuild in the Naples area?

Stan
Hello Stan, here is one right down in Miami for $205.50
https://miamialternatorsandstarters....nt-110-555pho/
Old 03-07-2017, 03:18 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
DBelectrical.com

Cheapest alt. starters, marine or auto anywhere.

I lost count on how many i ordered from them.

Take the numbers off the part call or send them a e-mail.

They are also on e-bay.

I don't own the company ... i highly recommended them.
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:26 AM   #4

Stan,

Someone posted the quik link to Miami Alternator and Starters and at $205.00 plus overnight cost from UPS, your way ahead of the game.

I also like DB Electrical out of Tennessee, I've used them several times. So, if your in a RV park and not in a hurry...you may want to get a quote from them too.

If your not mechanically inclined or just don't feel like messing with it....I'd call a couple of the local diesel truck repair centers around Naples and see what they would charge to come out and change it?

Let us know how you make out.....and BTW, if you haven't changed the serpentine belt on your coach yet, depending on year or mileage, now may be the right time to do so as well?
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:05 AM   #5

THANKS to both Palehourse89 and Chief Alen for posting these 2 sources for alternators. I think mine is heading south so I'll be ordering one today.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:16 AM   #6

Stan,

I just remembered, Charlotte RV and Marine have a mobile service truck, but you may be a bit out of their service area.

They are located in Punta Gorda, but may come down to North Naples if your in that vicinity?

Might be worth a call....hope this helps.
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:43 AM   #7

$1,400 for an alternator sounds excessive. This thread brings up a good question - aren't most alternators replaced with rebuilt units? I see from the previous owner's records for my coach that the cost for a rebuilt alternator was around $200. Even if a local truck shop has to come out and takes three hours to install it you are way ahead of the game.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:58 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Gentlemen, thanks so much for your ideas. It appears my quote is on the high side and will look elsewhere.

I already purchased two replacement belts and will do that also since the alt shredded the original.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:16 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post

Stan
If it's a 28SI type pad mount I purchased at O'Reilly's. It was a Wilson brand, brand new no core for $420.
Also check Freightliner dealers. They quoted one for $320 but didn't have it in stock at my location.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:52 AM   #10

Not real up on the 2007 era engines, but many in the 2000-2005 era have changed over to the Delco Remy replacement alternators. Run a bit cooler, are lighter in weight too.

I went from the 160A to the 200A when my Leece Neville went out.

Might be worth researching a bit...

Best of luck to you! And please come back and finish the 'Rest of the story!' - when you get it all done.
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:47 PM   #11

I just did mine in my side radiator Windsor. It's not a very hard job even if you have to buy the tools it will only take a few hr's tops. Watch the you tube video. I took mine out and had it rebuilt here in Stuart.
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #12

I changed mine in 45 min or so. I went with the 28si 200 amp from NAPA. I kept my LN for a spare. (I still need to have it rebuilt!)

Its too bad yours seized because if it just wasn't producing voltage, you can always jumper the house batteries to the chassis battery and start the generator. This will work for many, many miles.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:29 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco alternators use a DUVAC system ( whatever that means) so other brands may not work. Only replace with the exact kind.

If you have your alternator off it may be rebuild-able. Mine failed, although it wasn't seized, and I had it rebuilt for ~$185.

Make sure you mark the wires and you should be able to remove and replace.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #14

Stan, I think an average price for a 'new' alternator would be about $500. A rebuild, which if it's an option, I would definitely go for if the logistics works, would be about half that.

Here's a tip: You say your alternator is seized, so I'm guessing you threw a belt. Since it's a diesel, you can still get it started assuming the batteries are fully charged. You can drive it for a short distance to a repair shop, since diesel's don't need the alternator to keep the engine running.

BUT -- the belt most likely is running your cooling fan, so you can only run for a very short distance, starting from cold. Maybe a few miles before it may overheat. Do it first thing in the morning in the cold if possible.

Guess how I know this..
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote