Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #1

Hit the road and it was glorious...

Ok, so maybe exaggerated a little, but it sure was terrific. Headed out to Napa valley from Murrieta first thing in the morning 0 dark 30, hoping to miss traffic and we did. Me, dw, two kids and dw's dad. Going to visit family that we haven't seen since our wedding 25 years ago.

First big trip for us in Mrs. CC, 1000 miles without a hiccup or additional scratches. Headed up 15 to the 5 all they way there, I was a bit nervous about the grapevine but she powered right on through, exhaust brake down the grade worked great too. Kept her under 60 and was blessed with 18mpg. Did not expect that, but will take it.

Pulled up to the relatives house, auto level, auto satelite... Done. That was too easy. The family arrived rested, having been able to stretch out, watch tv, play video games, read, take potty brakes and nap. It was very cool not being stuck in a cramped truck or mini van for the trip. All 5 of us were very comfortable.

It was especially great to have our own space, when we were tired or just wanted to spend time by ourselves, we just excused ourselves and made our way out to our home away from home, with all our comforts and yes our own toilet. (Yep, I need my home base, well lets just say I had no issues.)

It is very true what they say, "when you have a coach your vacation starts when you leave the house." It was absolutely true.

I did get one request from dw's dad (in his 70's), "maybe we can make one rest stop next time." (I may have to consider it, hate to stop though.)

I really appreciate all the help and advice you ALL have given me with the new coach. It has been an adventure and quite a learning experience getting to this point of completing our first trip. Assuredly, my family has benefitted and have become closer to one another as a result. Thank you for volunteering your valuable time to help us noobees.
"Mrs. CC. Magna" 36' 1993 Country Coach, Magna, 300hp Cummins, 5 speed Alison trans, #5016
127,000 miles and counting...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2013, 01:36 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad to hear of the good trip!
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #3

Surely you meant 8 MPG ?
Old 06-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
18mpg? I didn't get 18mpg with my Chevy Avalanche pulling nothing! My gasser got 5.9mpg in the hills of eastern Wyoming in 40-50 mph winds!
Old 06-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #5

Actually 17.3mpg... Kept it slow and steady. 55/60 mph, and hung out behind trucks when I could. I rounded up because I hit a lot of stop and go traffic on the way back which I am sure hurt my numbers.
"Mrs. CC. Magna" 36' 1993 Country Coach, Magna, 300hp Cummins, 5 speed Alison trans, #5016
Old 06-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I left out "I'm jealous" in my previous post!
Old 06-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I'd oblige on the rest stop request. It's nice to be able to get out and stretch your legs and walk for a little longer then 28 feet before having to turn around and sit back down again. Also a good idea for you to get out from behind the wheel every couple of hours and take a brief walk to keep the blood circulating in your legs and keep you mentally refreshed. In the grand scheme of things, it's 15 minutes out of the travel time. How big a deal is it to "get there" at a specific time?

Older folks, may not feel all too steady on their feet, especially if you're rolling down the highway, even on the smoothest of roads.

Also it pays to bear in mind when the roles were reversed and family road trips when you were younger had your parents stopping every other exit so someone could go potty, hmm??

Karma.... just sayin.

Glad you had a great trip!
Old 06-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobioknight View Post
Actually 17.3mpg... Kept it slow and steady...
Absolutely, positively NO WAY did you get 17.3 mpg with that rig. Unless you only checked it on the downgrade part of the route.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
Absolutely, positively NO WAY did you get 17.3 mpg with that rig. Unless you only checked it on the downgrade part of the route.

I couldn't get that in a VW Beetle! Maybe he turned the engine off and coasted down all the hills, or maybe his guardian angle was flying along back there pouring in fuel all the way........
Old 06-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Glad the first big trip went well with all the conveniences of Class A travel.

One rest stop in 500 miles is not a bad plan even if just for a short walk around.

I think you might need to check the math or the tank gauge on the 18 mpg result.

My Jeeps only do 18 mpg. After keeping records for 11 years on our rig, my high has been about 9 and the low about 5. The eleven year, 63,000 mile average is 7.18 mpg including generator use.

Remember, short fills due to slope of the fuel station concrete, pump shutting off before the tank is full, foam due to rapid fill, will affect your mpg calculations because the tank does not fully fill.

However, I doubt any of those would create an 18 mpg result.

If your return trip, which will be downhill, is equally good, you will become a rock star!!

Keep on having fun.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:05 AM   #11

I guess I could be miscalculating the results. I have 110 gallon tank, I topped it off before I left. Auto leveling at the pump for good measure. The trip was 1120 miles I had not even burned 1/2 tank when passing by magic mountain but started hitting stop and go traffic all the way from there, down the 91 then cleared up at the 15. When I filled back up again same gas station and auto level it took 65 gallons to top off. By the way she weighs 25,600 lbs.

I was discussing with my friend today because it seem unbelievable, all we Can attribute it to is new tires that were probably over inflated causing less drag. all tires were inflated to 105lbs by the installer, whereas the fronts should have been 95 and the rears 90. Which i adjusted back down yesterday. I do also have a new charged air cooler which has no leaks. If anyone's air cooler is leaking you can bet on your mileage taking a dive. At least that was what I was told.

By the way, I am going to feel pretty foolish if I was supposed to divide my result in half or something like that. Yikes.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnp_macklin View Post
I'd oblige on the rest stop request. It's nice to be able to get out and stretch your legs and walk for a little longer then 28 feet before having to turn around and sit back down again. Also a good idea for you to get out from behind the wheel every couple of hours and take a brief walk to keep the blood circulating in your legs and keep you mentally refreshed. In the grand scheme of things, it's 15 minutes out of the travel time. How big a deal is it to "get there" at a specific time?

Older folks, may not feel all too steady on their feet, especially if you're rolling down the highway, even on the smoothest of roads.

Also it pays to bear in mind when the roles were reversed and family road trips when you were younger had your parents stopping every other exit so someone could go potty, hmm??

Karma.... just sayin.

Glad you had a great trip!
Yes, you are right. Maybe next trip we should check out more the sights along the way, focusing on the trip and not the destination. Thanks for the idea.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
I do not have any kind of onboard computer. I just filled when I left and filled when I got back. So it was a combination of coming and going. However I must say coming back my gauge barely moved, kept it right around 55 behind trucks... I barely had to put much pressure on the peddle. I was in absolutely no hurry, just enjoying the view.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Glad the first big trip went well with all the conveniences of Class A travel.
Hey Dean. Thanks again for all your advice, you were a big help to me. It's all down hill from here.
Closed Thread