Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2011, 07:33 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holding Tank Level Indicators

I have read many threads on the various reasons why you get false level readings and possible solutions. I too have the same problems with my 03 MH. The best solution seemed to be the GEO method which I did last week. Prior to doing the GEO fix the grey tank registered 1/3 full then would register 2/3 - FULL as I added water into the tank. The black tank registered 2/3 full then FULL as I filled the tank. After the GEO fix my grey tank indicatirs are reading FULL all the time and my black tank is down to 1/3 reading when both are empty. I do have a circuit schematic and procedure to adjust the indicator readings but do not want to do so until I am getting get a more consistent reading from the sensors. Should I continue using the GEO method a few more times or try something a little more robust. Im thinking I may have calcium build up on the sensors.
Thanks....Tom & Judy the canucks...go leafs go.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
It seems to be that once these sensors stop working correctly you can forget it or spend big bucks for replacements. Frankly, I see little need in them. Gray water will fill up quick (a couple of days) if you take showers and usually we can get a week on Black. A good flashlight works well for checking the black and water backing up in the shower tell me gray is full. Thats just me....good luck.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The problem is not build up on the sensors but wet gunk build up on the tank walls.
Anything that cleans the tank walls might help. However over the years I have tried all of the things people say will work and so far nothing has worked.

Note that I have non-contact sensors on the outside of the tank and still have faulty readings. I have pressure washed the inside of the black tank and got good readings for a few tank fulls and then it started reading full all of the time.

Some people have reported having good luck with the HOERST probes. They move the sensors out into the tank away from the wall. So far I haven't heard anyone say they have stopped working.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks good to know. The best solution seems to be aware of how much water is in my tanks at any given time. Sensors on the Fresh water tank seem very accurate so if it gets below 1/3 full then 40+ gallons has gone into the waste tanks so I should be dumping them. Makes sense to me.
Tom & Judy.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Someone always has to apply logic !!
Old 08-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #6

Since I had a see level system put in a year ago I get good readings on my tanks.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #7

What is a GEO fix?
Old 09-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcecilw View Post
What is a GEO fix?
If you use our search feature and look for "geo method" you'll find a lot of reading material on the subject. It's basically a method for cleaning and maintaining your tanks using mostly household products. Many swear by it.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi, I was told by some full timers what they do ... After dumping your tanks , ( black & grey ) put about 5 gallons of water into your tanks , plus a quarter cup of dawn liquid and your left over trays of ice cubes ( in your black tank ). When you drive down the road the soap and ice cubes will clean up the whole tank . Good luck . Tommy , Di , and the girls.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #10

Wink Black water tank

I cut a 2inch hole in black water tank on pass.side,got 2 inch test plug from home depot.I dump tank and back flush then pull test plug and wash out with a nozzle,sensors are always clean.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy tucer View Post
Hi, I was told by some full timers what they do ... After dumping your tanks , ( black & grey ) put about 5 gallons of water into your tanks , plus a quarter cup of dawn liquid and your left over trays of ice cubes ( in your black tank ). When you drive down the road the soap and ice cubes will clean up the whole tank . Good luck . Tommy , Di , and the girls.
I've heard this story before. Please explain to me how 5 gallons of water, ice cubes and some soap can clean all the probes in 60 gallon grey or 40 gallon black water holding tank?

Jim E
Old 09-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
I've heard this story before. Please explain to me how 5 gallons of water, ice cubes and some soap can clean all the probes in 60 gallon grey or 40 gallon black water holding tank?

Jim E
I do this from time to time but not with only 5 gallons of water. I fill the black tank to about 2/3 full. I'm not sure how much good it really does for the sensors but I can rinse until all the drain water runs clear and then do this and when I dump at my destination I do see quite a bit of "debris" come out. Obviously this can only be done with the black tank since there's usually no good way to get ice cubes into the grey tank.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
it depends on how you drive!
Old 09-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #14

It took many flushes, GEO method, flushes and finally putting some liquid washing detergent in tanks, making sure they were completely full and letting them sit for a day and then draining. I figure some of the stuff could be dried on like cement and takes awhile to come off. Try the soaking of the tanks completely full and see what happens.

Tags
tank