Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holding Tank Sensors

2007 National Surf Side 29A. Both holding tank sensors show 2/3 full even when completely empty. I can't seem to get the sensors to go to empty. I have tried ice several times to see if that helped, it didn't. Nor does the black tank rinsing system.
My RV repair guy says the sensors are "glued to the inside of the tanks? That doesn't sound right. He claimed he would have to remove the tanks to get the sensors fixed. Again that doesn't sound right.
Has anyone had a similar problem and have any suggestions for fixing the issue. The sensors do work, in that they change, in that they do go up from 2/3 full to completely full, which again isn't a correct measurement.
Also does anyone know the depth of the black water tank?, it is 40 gallons. That way I could just use a stick.
Clintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #2

I have known people to fill their black tank half way with clean water and drive to stirr things up and clean the sensors OR to clean with a wand from inside the RV.

IF all else fails and the sensors needed to be replaced I would just live with it myself.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lat26 View Post
2007 National Surf Side 29A. Both holding tank sensors show 2/3 full even when completely empty. I can't seem to get the sensors to go to empty. I have tried ice several times to see if that helped, it didn't. Nor does the black tank rinsing system.
My RV repair guy says the sensors are "glued to the inside of the tanks? That doesn't sound right. He claimed he would have to remove the tanks to get the sensors fixed. Again that doesn't sound right.
Has anyone had a similar problem and have any suggestions for fixing the issue. The sensors do work, in that they change, in that they do go up from 2/3 full to completely full, which again isn't a correct measurement.
Also does anyone know the depth of the black water tank?, it is 40 gallons. That way I could just use a stick.
Lat26
If you are serious about using a stick, you don't need to know the depth of your black tank.
Fill the tank, put the stick in, pull it out and mark a "full" line on the stick at the liquid level.
Next, measuring with a ruler mark the stick 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 from the bottom end.
Your stick will be far more accurate than most any tank gauges are.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #4

I had the same problem I bought a holding tank rinsing wand from c.w.
Mine has the brass rotating spray head did the trick first try.

good luck Rick
rick h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:04 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
See Level II gauges. Not sure what it costs to install them I did them myself but the gauges are under 200.00 show level in percentage seems to be about 6 per cent jumps. such as 6 percent, 12 per , 18 percent up to 100 per cent. mount on outside of tank so no worry about cleaning the tank. There are a lot of threads about them and they seem to work well I have had mine on for an entire summer now and I love them. I purchased an extra display and have it near the water fill tank and the valves for the holding tank. If i am filling the fresh water tank I hit the display button for that tank. It locks the display on for 15 min and I can watch the water fill without walking back and forth into the MH

Installation is easy if you can get to the outside of your tanks. Uses existing level indicator wiring so you do not have to run new wires

Seelevel II Model 709 Tank Monitoring System
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:03 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ditto to gemini5362... I installed the SeeLevel system and eliminated all guessing about tank levels. It is a well designed system that is really very simple to install. No need to run new wiring as it uses the existing wires. The new sensors just stick to the outside of the tanks. The most effort will go into the placement of the new display panel. I just took my Dremel with a cut-off wheel and cut the old tank readout out of my panel and installed the SeeLevel display in its place. Definitely a worthwhile system upgrade and works a whole lot better than a stick .
Old 08-20-2013, 06:14 AM   #7

We, and most of the people we talk with who are in their rvs a lot, mostly ignore the tank level sensors. The standard sensors perform erratically, at best. For black tank levels, we can tell by the sound when flushing toilet how full it is, and if it burps, we know to empty it soon. We know basically by now how many days the grey tank will do between emptying.

When we move locations, I typically use dishwasher detergent or laundry soap in the partially filled grey and black tank. As we move down the road, the cleaner sloshing around cleans the sensors and they will work for a few days when we park again, but then they will get dirty and not read correctly.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
On my Pace Arrow, the guages would not work properly. I would drain the tanks, make up five gallons of Calgon ((water softener) and hot water. Add one cup of laundry detergent. Let this sit overnight. In the morning, fill the tank 3/4 full and drive to the next spot. The soft water would rinse all the coating off the sensors.
Hard water leaves a film on sensors.
I would need to repeat this procedure every once in a while, but always had the
sensors working after.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:10 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
We, and most of the people we talk with who are in their rvs a lot, mostly ignore the tank level sensors. The standard sensors perform erratically, at best. For black tank levels, we can tell by the sound when flushing toilet how full it is, and if it burps, we know to empty it soon. We know basically by now how many days the grey tank will do between emptying.

When we move locations, I typically use dishwasher detergent or laundry soap in the partially filled grey and black tank. As we move down the road, the cleaner sloshing around cleans the sensors and they will work for a few days when we park again, but then they will get dirty and not read correctly.

We are in our RV a lot but until last week I would not classify us as full timers. We would go for two weeks or sometimes a month or even 6 weeks. We are doing a contract job about 3 hours from home so we are living in the Rv for 4 months. I know what you are talking about on knowing how long it takes tanks to fill up no longer than we have used it we are starting to get an idea. not nearly to the level you are of knowing if the black tank burps it is time to empty it. When we were travelling a lot we liked to stay at core parks which do not have sewer hook ups at the campsite. I like knowing when the tanks are getting fuller so I can go empty during the day not have to make an emergency run at night or go to the public showers/ bathrooms. The See Level II works very well I went to a Tiffin RAlly and a guy that attends these rallys has a mobile repair shop. He installed a lot of them at the rally I was at and I have not read too many complaints on here about them.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank