Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #1

Holding Tank Sensors

Gray water holding tank level sensors have gone bananas. Never shows less than 1/3 and now shows F when I just emptied the tank

I'm not really sure how these things work, but I think they can somehow get jammed by crud in the tank.

Other than that, I guess that it is an electrical problem

I remember seeing somewhere that you could buy a liquid to put in the tank to "clean" the sensors -- or maybe I dreamed that

Any help from anyone?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If tank gauge accuracy is important to you, spend the money and get yourself a set of SeaLevel gauges. You will never get the factory sensors reading accurately.

luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:59 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastordick View Post
Gray water holding tank level sensors have gone bananas. Never shows less than 1/3 and now shows F when I just emptied the tank

I'm not really sure how these things work, but I think they can somehow get jammed by crud in the tank.

Other than that, I guess that it is an electrical problem

I remember seeing somewhere that you could buy a liquid to put in the tank to "clean" the sensors -- or maybe I dreamed that

Any help from anyone?
You don't specify what your rig is, but I had the same problem with my gray tank. It has the thru wall sensors that read through the plastic and don't penetrate. Some others use the kind that go into the tank through hole in the side.

I installed one of the Tornado turbo washer systems and when I drilled a hole to install it, there was a 1/16" thick coating of grease and scum on the inside of the tank. That was preventing the sensor from reading the liquid level. The sensors that penetrate can also get coated with scum.

Several sessions of a half full tank with a little Dawn dish soap sloshing around and the turbo washer cleaned it up and the sensors work fine now. I just make sure to rinse out for a minute after every gray water dump to keep the inside clean. Don't use too much dish soap or you will get a LOT of suds, trust me.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:45 PM   #4

They sell grey water cleaner. When I dump I first open the black water, leaving the grey water closed. Then close the black water and open the grey. If by chance black is going out and grey is also open it can feed back into the grey tank and cause problems. Some RVers in a hurry just open both. Not saying you do but it can cause a problem.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:48 AM   #5

Thanks for the help -- sounds like what I thought -- crud on the inside blocking sensors -- I will try to locate grey water tank cleanser

Have been rv'ing for 50 years with 13 total units -- including popups in the early going and never had this problem before. I guess the difference is that now we spend a couple of weeks stationary, letting the tank fill up before empting -- no sloshing around caused by running.

Didn't mention it, but we have 2012 Itasca Sunova 36V

Appreciate comments -- more ideas welcome

Tags
tank