RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2019, 04:19 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Holding Tank Sensors

Just learned that, at least on our new Thor Palazzo, the holding tank sensors on all three tanks, fresh, gray and black, only show graduations in thirds: o%, 33%, 67% and 100%. Could present some interesting situations.

Anyone ever have issues with these fairly broad measurements?

harvnlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 04:29 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Compute the volumes each measurement equals for each tank and neatly post it where it is convenient for you.

US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:45 PM   #3

This is common on almost all RV's if you want better tank sensors look into the SeeLevel 709 system, there are numerous threads on here about them. I installed one myself on my coach in an afternoon a couple of years ago, cost was about $250, plus incidentals like wood to trim out the panel hole (I used a laminate counter top end piece from the hardware store, cut down to fit).
Old 08-22-2019, 10:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Nope!

If you're like me, the more you use your rig, the less you'll even look at the panel. Ours are in thirds and are actually accurate. But even so, I rarely feel the need to look at them. Been doing this RVing thing long enough that I know when it's time to take action.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvnlois View Post
Just learned that, at least on our new Thor Palazzo, the holding tank sensors on all three tanks, fresh, gray and black, only show graduations in thirds: o%, 33%, 67% and 100%. Could present some interesting situations.

I don't even like gas gauges marked in eighths.

It used to bug me that the difference between 1/3 and 2/3 of the entire tank could be washing my hands once.

But now that my black tank reads full all the time anyway I don't bother with them anymore.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:25 AM   #6

You get used to working with the info you've got.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:00 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The gauge is imprecise anyway, so the increments don't make much difference. The only useful increments are Full, Empty and In-Between.

A See-Level gauge system uses finer increments because it can actually discern small changes.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:47 AM   #8

Holding Tank Sensors / Maintenance

I have attempted to keep the black holding tank rinsed out using the onboard tank cleanout pressure system after every draining - book recommends it. On at least two of those occasions, I turned on the pressure water cleanout system, walked around the RV just looking things over, got caught up in a conversation with a neighbor in the RV Park, and observed water dripping out the bottom of the basement doors near the bathroom section! Yes, it happened twice. Besides being a certified "doo-doo" bird, I am now one who stands beside the water service bay, checking the watch for 12 minutes to go by, thus pretty well filling the black tank. I then pull the drain to flush out any residue, and notice that the lights for the black tank are still ALL LIT! The tank seems to be doing its own thing and as others said already, you just do the drains when you always do.....every 3 days for us. We full time it so that procedure is down pat! We've tried Calgon water softener powder, laundry soap powder, Thetford chemicals for the poop tanks, and nothing changes. Use the right kind of paper for these tanks and you should be fine.
Stinger1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #9
NXR

Grab a cheapo water flow meter like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and put it on your hose when you know your holding tanks are empty. Then you'll see how much water you're using and you can get a better feel for what (and who) is using the most water.

After a few trips of doing this our fresh water usage decreased substantially. It also gave us a crosscheck for the gauge accuracy. I'll probably do the SeeLevel thing if we ever start boondocking. This one would work for us: https://www.garnetinstruments.com/pr...-tank-monitor/

Ray
Old 08-23-2019, 04:24 PM   #10

That is basically the same SeeLevel monitor I have, though mine does not have the water pump and hot water tank switches, as I kept separate switches. Here is a photo of my install.

The gray laminate backsplash board is new to cover the hole from the original tank monitor panel.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...hmentid=234989
Old 08-25-2019, 04:29 PM   #11

Quote:

No issues to begin with but as my coach aged the accuracy of the factory sensors became questionable and eventually they quit altogether even with flushing and cleaning diligence. Upgraded to the SeeLevel 709 series sensors and display (even added a second display in the wet bay) with excellent results. Working like new after years of operation and absolutely one of the best upgrades I ever made.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger1968 View Post
I have attempted to keep the black holding tank rinsed out using the onboard tank cleanout pressure system after every draining - book recommends it. On at least two of those occasions, I turned on the pressure water cleanout system, walked around the RV just looking things over, got caught up in a conversation with a neighbor in the RV Park, and observed water dripping out the bottom of the basement doors near the bathroom section! Yes, it happened twice. Besides being a certified "doo-doo" bird, I am now one who stands beside the water service bay, checking the watch for 12 minutes to go by, thus pretty well filling the black tank. I then pull the drain to flush out any residue, and notice that the lights for the black tank are still ALL LIT! The tank seems to be doing its own thing and as others said already, you just do the drains when you always do.....every 3 days for us. We full time it so that procedure is down pat! We've tried Calgon water softener powder, laundry soap powder, Thetford chemicals for the poop tanks, and nothing changes. Use the right kind of paper for these tanks and you should be fine.

Hmmmmm. My system states that the slide valve should never be closed while the SaniFlush system is being used to rinse the black tank.
Oversoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:13 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post
Hmmmmm. My system states that the slide valve should never be closed while the SaniFlush system is being used to rinse the black tank.
Mine too!
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:46 PM   #14

Quote:

I think many of us have had very FEW reliable tank sensors over the years.

If toilet smells, dump the black.
If water rises into the shower, dump the gray.
If you want fresh water, fill the tank every chance you have a clean source.

After a trip or two you will know how long it takes to empty the fresh and fill the others.

My only other helpful suggestions would involve changing your dietary habits!

Domo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank