Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #1

Holding tank vent

I just bought a 1994 Gulfstream Friendship and noticed that there is only one vent on the roof for the holding tanks...is that normal? Can both the gray and black tanks share a vent? This is our first MH and my dad was thinking there should be one for each. Thanks for your help....
Chris
BushlandGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
There is no reason you couldn't tie them togather if the vent pipe is big enough. the only reason i can think of to do this, Is to limit the amount of holes in the roof.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #3

That's good to know, thanks. I got up there and felt around and I cannot even feel where another hole might be under the rubber. Another good thing is that the inside of the coach does not stink....
Old 05-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is unsual for them to share a vent. but not impossible.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:40 AM   #5

sometimes they used pro vents on the sinks up under the countertops so they would eliminate a vent up thru the roof
cdolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:04 AM   #6

Some of the older RV's used a common vent. I've had 2 with only 1 roof vent. They get tied together inside the walls. As said above, many of the sinks and washer vents are vented inside.
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #7

My Winnebago Adventurer has only one vent. I was having a "stale" air problem at first but added one of the spinning directional vents. No more odor problems noticed over the past few years.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #8

Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have a venturi type vent stack device that draws the gases from the tanks and disperses that above the roof. The device always points into the wind as to take advantage of the slightest breeze. Going down the road, there never has been a problem with any odors in the cabin.

This device is attached to our single 2" vent stack pipe. This device requires you to cut the pipe down a little so that it fits in the manner shown. The RTV is original. The screw seen at the base fits into a collar on the inside of the vain that allows it to rotate.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote