Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2010, 08:19 PM   #1

Holding tanks are leaking!

Hello, I have a 04 Coachmen Mirada 30 QB It appears the holding tanks are leaking. Does anyone have advise on where to buy tanks and how much effort it will be to install? Is there a product that I can pour in that will seal the leaks? Any help would be app. Thanks, Marcdohc

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #2

There isn.t anyway to seal a leaking holding tank by pouring a sealant into it. Rare occassions the tanks can be repaired by plastic welding or an epoxy but in the long run must be replaced. Do a search for RV tanks or check with dealer(s)

Old 11-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #3

It may not be the tanks leaking. It could be the valve leaking . I had this problem. So I replaced the valves and have not had a problem.

Something to check on.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Many times the 'neck' of the entry or exit pipe will crack especially if the connecting pipes are rigid. I would check that are first and it should be repairable with epoxy of similar substance.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a 1999 Pacer and while I was up north Washington I came back from a trip to see the lighthouse and found my rig leaking big time, I tried for about a month to find the leak because it was comming from around the holding tanks, I finaly gave up and took it to the dealer, they spent about 4 hours ($131.00 an hour) they desided it was a broken supply line to the hot water heater,($7.00), the total bill was $655.00. At least its stopped.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:27 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcdohc View Post
Hello, I have a 04 Coachmen Mirada 30 QB It appears the holding tanks are leaking. Does anyone have advise on where to buy tanks and how much effort it will be to install? Is there a product that I can pour in that will seal the leaks? Any help would be app. Thanks, Marcdohc
You say the "tanks", it would be strange indeed if both tanks are leaking. Can you determine where the leak is coming from and what kind of sewage it is? Black water would be the worse but the grey odor isn't pleasant. If it is indeed both types leaking at the same time I'd say its a leaking pipe that connects the two tanks somewhere.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where is the leak?

And yes there is a way to fix it.

J-B Weld Company - WATER WELD Product Information

I have used that on holes in pvc pipe in my yard sprinkler system. It holds under city water pressure so for black tanks it should work great. You chop off a chunk and knead it for a minute or so and then apply it. You've got about 3 to 5 minutes working time.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #8

Leaks

Thanks for the response. I filled the grey water tank and I saw a drip comming out of the 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe. 1 drip every 4 seconds. I then drained the tank. I noticed as the tank drained the drip picked up to about 2 drip every second. I then closed the trap door and it seams do be leaking 3 drops per second. I open the trap door and a pint or so comes out and I close the trap and it seams it still is dripping. Seams pretty odd that with a full tank prior to opening the trap it only dripped 1 drip every 4 seconds. It must be a vacume thing. Any comments would be welcome. Well I assume I need to change the PVC pipe from the grey tank to the trap. I will test the BLACK tank tommorow after everything is dry.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:21 PM   #9

My brother purchased a used 5er this summer and a couple months ago had basically same problem. Opened up the belly skin and found some one had used a rubber sewer connecter on the pipes which had failed. Replaced with new solid pipe connectors
Old 11-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #10

Well I filled the Back tank today and AHHHH no leaks. Looks like my keak or leaks are in the hard pipe from the grey tank to the trap door. It all looks like 1 - 1/2 inch pvc. It looks like 7 ft. with several turns and twist through the frame.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:51 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcdohc View Post
Thanks for the response. I filled the grey water tank and I saw a drip comming out of the 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe. 1 drip every 4 seconds. I then drained the tank. I noticed as the tank drained the drip picked up to about 2 drip every second. I then closed the trap door and it seams do be leaking 3 drops per second. I open the trap door and a pint or so comes out and I close the trap and it seams it still is dripping. Seams pretty odd that with a full tank prior to opening the trap it only dripped 1 drip every 4 seconds. It must be a vacume thing. Any comments would be welcome. Well I assume I need to change the PVC pipe from the grey tank to the trap. I will test the BLACK tank tommorow after everything is dry.
I assume that "trap" is your slide valve. Where do you see the leak? Is it along the 1&1/2 inch line or is it leaking where the sewer hose connects? If you see the entire pipe then I assume your tank dumps directly into the exposed line, can you see the slide valve (trap)?
Old 11-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #12

Ok, I removed the 1.5 inch ABS pipe that runs from the slide valve up beside the blackwater tank and over to the grey water tank. It totaled up to about 7 ft. Where the pipe went beetween the black water tank it is very tight. It goes up about 3 ft. It is only wide enough for the pipe. The whole 3 ft. pipe was craced. So now the new install. Can I use some type of flexable pipe from say a swimming pool or hot tub? Or something else? If I do go with hard pipe is PVC ok or is there a benifit to ABS? Thanks, Marcdohc
Old 11-14-2010, 08:37 AM   #13

If the crack is in the pipe there is a good chance it was not drained when winterizing and froze. I would replace it with the same type of pipe. Flexible pool hose would be a temporary fix and connections may be harder than the hard pipe. I think doing it right the first time is quicker than a quick fix a few times. As far as I know the only advantage to abs is you don't have to use a separate cleaner on the joints.If using pvc do not skip the cleaner/primer.
BOB
Old 11-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #14

Thanks for the advise. I assume this would have cost $700 or $800 to have shop diagnose and fix the problem, Marcdohc