Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2015, 09:28 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hole in the floor?

I've been going through the process of familiarizing myself with the various systems and features of my first motorhome. The plumbing systems currently have my attention. While testing and checking for leaks, I found this

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1432347478.270977.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	94979

It is about one square foot, directly beneath the shower drain and directly above the black waste tank. Sure enough, there is seepage from the shower drain, which handily falls through the hole and trickles over the black tank and down into the wet bay. I confirmed this by pouring a small bottle of water through the hole. From the cut of the ceramic tile and the clean cut through the layers of flooring, it appears that it could be a design "feature." The shower and/or black tank would have to be removed to cut this hole after initial construction. Can this really be true? There is no sign of a screen to prevent rodents and insects from infiltrating the coach, but you can bet that there will be one very soon. Has anyone seen this before?

slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2015, 10:37 PM   #2

Well, you've made me curious. I've never looked at the area under my shower drain, but I'd expect my coach to have similar construction. I'll take a look this weekend and post results.

I did find a large opening under the removable floor of the sink vanity, that is now sealed with expanding foam.

Fred

Old 05-23-2015, 07:05 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It may well be a design feature.. As the O/P noted it means any leakage from the drain trap goes down the hole and out eventually to the ground instead of rotting the floor.

I have one spot on my RV that is about to become waterproof.. Very Very Waterproof.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:56 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
That is typical design. There usually is very little room below the p-trap in the shower, so they cut out the floor underneath to be able to remove, replace, and install the fittings under the shower. In my coach, they have a metal plate that screws in under the hole. In any event, the hard abs plumbing has almost no give in it, and every time you get in and out of the shower you work the fittings a little. I have seen many of the shower drains weeping/leaking like that. What I have done to fix that is put in a flexible p-trap that is available at any home improvement center. This allows the flex fitting to take up the movement rather than the joint, which is supposed to remain solid.

Flexible p trap. Fernco Inc. PFT-150 Flex Qwik Rubber Trap - Pipe Fittings - Amazon.com
Old 05-23-2015, 07:57 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am guessing, but the three motor homes i have had, that is part of air flow for the heat for the tanks. I have a vent on my current rig that is located just under the shower entrance, you can fell air coming out when the furnace is running.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #6

Our 2001 Cruisemaster has a square cut-out below the P-trap just like your photo. It also has a cover that fastens to the floor from underneath the RV that completely covers this cut-out. The cover is square, flanged , about 2" deep and is attached from underneath with screws. It is located over the passenger side duals directly under the shower. Perhaps your RV had a cover and it fell off. That's how I discovered the cover on our coach. Several of the screws had come out and it was hanging down. I re-attached the cover with longer screws and visually check it periodically to make sure it is still in place.

WM
Old 05-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
I've been going through the process of familiarizing myself with the various systems and features of my first motorhome. The plumbing systems currently have my attention. While testing and checking for leaks, I found this

Attachment 94979

It is about one square foot, directly beneath the shower drain and directly above the black waste tank. Sure enough, there is seepage from the shower drain, which handily falls through the hole and trickles over the black tank and down into the wet bay. I confirmed this by pouring a small bottle of water through the hole. From the cut of the ceramic tile and the clean cut through the layers of flooring, it appears that it could be a design "feature." The shower and/or black tank would have to be removed to cut this hole after initial construction. Can this really be true? There is no sign of a screen to prevent rodents and insects from infiltrating the coach, but you can bet that there will be one very soon. Has anyone seen this before?
How are you gaining access to this area under the shower? My shower is raised only a few inches above the floor, and has walls on three sides. It does have a couple of vents under the entry. Just wondering how you are even getting into that area.
jt
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:59 PM   #8

I just removed the access panel and looked at the area under my shower pan. It has a cut out exactly like your picture, but mine has a fiberboard panel under it with some expanding foam visible.

I suspect yours had the fiberboard panel sealing the opening originally, as I can see some of the remaining fiberboard panel in your picture. I'd guess that the leak has allowed the fiberboard to decompose and fall down on top of the structure below.

Fred
Old 05-23-2015, 04:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimberleyman View Post
Our 2001 Cruisemaster has a square cut-out below the P-trap just like your photo. It also has a cover that fastens to the floor from underneath the RV that completely covers this cut-out. The cover is square, flanged , about 2" deep and is attached from underneath with screws. It is located over the passenger side duals directly under the shower. Perhaps your RV had a cover and it fell off. That's how I discovered the cover on our coach. Several of the screws had come out and it was hanging down. I re-attached the cover with longer screws and visually check it periodically to make sure it is still in place.

WM
Ditto - on my coach, these access holes have plastic covers that are screwed into place from underneath.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:29 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
To clarify my situation, the photo was taken through a ventilation hole (normally covered by a louvered metal grille) that is approximately 4" x 6", beneath the shower pan. It's enough room to insert one arm for any work to be done, mostly blindly. The black surface that is visible through the floor is the top of the black water tank. There is no access from below, and only the 4x6 hole from above. It seems unlikely that there was ever a cover for this large hole in the floor, as there would be no way to remove it for servicing the p-trap. I need to explore the possibility that this is a very crude method of ducting heat to the wet bay. A sturdy metal screen would make me feel better about the hole. I wonder if there would be sufficient benefit to justify enlarging and reinforcing the 4x6 hole to make the work simpler.
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:54 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbones View Post
That is typical design. There usually is very little room below the p-trap in the shower, so they cut out the floor underneath to be able to remove, replace, and install the fittings under the shower. In my coach, they have a metal plate that screws in under the hole. In any event, the hard abs plumbing has almost no give in it, and every time you get in and out of the shower you work the fittings a little....
Yup, its state of the art!

My previous Fleetwood Pace Arrow, and Winnebago Vista also were designed with this "feature". In a worse case scenario, (shower pan cracks), the water will leak to the ground, instead of pooling and rotting the floor.