Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
I am about to purchase this unit. One thing that concerns me is the long length of the slide out. It seems that it is very long and may be a source of future problems. Can anyone give me any feedback on long "Super Slides"?

Lamar Atkinson
Deer Park, Texas
2008 HR Admiral 35SFD
LamarAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
I am about to purchase this unit. One thing that concerns me is the long length of the slide out. It seems that it is very long and may be a source of future problems. Can anyone give me any feedback on long "Super Slides"?

Lamar Atkinson
Deer Park, Texas
2008 HR Admiral 35SFD
Old 09-18-2008, 10:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Welcome to iRV2!! I am sure you will get a few more answers from the shortcut I put to the Monaco Forum.
There are a few of us that have the full slides that will see the topic here first...

Again...welcome to iRV2.. please visit & post often!

*MonacoMama with the 2 Pins & SacsTC Nearby*
*2007 Monaco Diplomat 40' SFT<>2006 Chevy VortecMax Toad<>2006 Buick Lucerne Leading the Way*
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:03 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
LamarAt, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I take it that the unit is new and you will have a warranty. The technology of these slide systems has asvanced and been pretty well perfected to work consistantly. How the various manufacturers use and design their rooms, floor and walls around it makes the difference. I have seen some that have a steped up floor and there is a gap under the carpet to let in air and even light on one.
I do not know how well it might do in a roll over accident; not as well as a smaller slideout i presume. HR should have built a fairly decent unit but maybe those that have one can help more. Good luck and keep us posted.
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:34 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Hi LamarAT,
Welcome to irv2!
My wife and I own a Monoco product with a superslide. It's a 2007 Safari Cheetah 40SFD. Monoco built the frame well for the slide and we haven't had any problems with the unit. It is hydrualicly operated and we haven't had any problems with that either. The only thing that I would look at is if the unit is adjusted straight horizontally. Is either end lower than the other? Look at the molding above your storage bays to use as a straight edge. Ours actually had one low end at the factory and was not adjusted before it went to the paint shop. We had to get the stripes matched up after we had the slide adjusted. Look closely at those two things at the dealer. Monoco approved the re-painting at Gauranty RV as a warrenty item. Other than that the slide has worked perfectly.

Oh yeah, one more thing that the service tech taught me: (especially on uneven ground, but ALWAYS), Put your slides out before letting your air out if you have airbags and then put down your jacks. I saw first hand that we could tweek the frame a little bit and the center top of the slide actually rubbed on the top of the frame. This was because I tried to level the motorhome with the jacks down first before the slides were out. I know that this may sound backwards, but that is how the Monoco products are built. Believe me when I say that after bringing the slides back in and then putting the jacks back up, and starting over with the slides out FIRST before letting out the air and the jacks down, everything worked perfectly with no tweeking.

As far as how we feel about the long slide; we were first apprehensive like you but now we LOVE it.

Good luck on your research and happy hunting.

AKBrick and CheetahGirl
2007 Safari Cheetah 40SFD 350 CAT / Allison 3000 / RR8R chassis.
2007 Saturn Vue Auto/front wheel drive toad. Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar. Apollo brake system, Pressure Pro, Surge Guard. 2 Norwich Terriers. Dog shows, golf, RETIRED, fulltimer.
AKBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:14 AM   #6
Thank you all for your feedback. I am certainly glad I came across this website.

Again, Thanks to each of you

Lamar Atkinson
Deer Park, Texas
2008 HR Admiral 35SFD
Old 09-20-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lamar - We have had a Monaco Monarch 33SFS for several months now. I believe the Monarch and the Admiral are the same product with different brands and color schemes. We have been very happy with our purchase, and the additional room from the full-wall slide was an important factor for us. We have not had any issues with the slide mechanism or the adjustment of the full-wall slide. We have carefully followed the instructions for leveling as AKBrick noted: put out slide first, then level. This is backwards from the way most manufacturers tell you but apparently helps protect not only the frame but also the big windshield.

Welcome to the family!

Bruce & Dan

2009 Monaco Monarch 33 SFS; W22 Chassis; Safe-T-Steer; Koni FSD shocks; 2010 CR-V Toad
brucemcdou is offline   Reply With Quote