Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler binding slideout

I have an HR Neptune (2008) with a living room slideout that binds at the top middle of the slide out when I try to retract it. The slideout will completely deploy and not bind at all.

The slideout will bind immediately when trying to retract it from full deployment. I can hear and see the slideout top getting in a bind. As I continue to retract it, the slideout releases with a loud bang and the whole top of slide out jumps about an inch. That part is scary. Then the slideout retracts normally.

If I don't fully deploy the slideout to the inside wall to seat the seals, i.e., leave about 1/2 inch from full deployment the slideout will not bind upon retracting. I can't see anything really obvious that might be catching behind the slideout interior flange.

I have observed the slideout gears and they are working normally.

Has anybody out there had this problem??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Can you see if there a bow in the center like the beam hitting the top, for something that noticeable there got to be some signs of rubbing

Old 08-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #3

Thanks. I can view the top of the slideout when it is retracted from the motor home driver seat area. I cannot see any obvious rubbing. I cannot see an obvious upward bow in the middle of the slideout either.

There is a plastic "L" channel that runs against the inside of the slideout flange. Its dimensions are about 1 inch wide by 3/8 in high. I thought that this channel was contacting some round head screws that are driven verically into the outside wall near the outside seals. However, the screws are painted and I could not see paint rubbed off of them nor could I see or feel any damage to the channel.

With that said, I ground down the channel with a dremel tool opposit the screws that it may have been contacting to no avail.

Very mysterious.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:05 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well it's something hitting, the roof is made with a slope the front of the box is taller than the back if there no sign on the top and around the edges then it's something on the bottom. This room runs on top of floor or is it flush floor room

I have seen plastic on the rollers, broken screws even had one with a broken screw that acted like a nail when it pressed to the wall it popped too when returning in

Have someone working the controls and watch the outer edges mainly in the corners check to see the box is correct in the opening same distance on both sides I know you most likely done this but need to find it before it causes real damage to something
Old 08-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #5

Have a 06 HR Scepter and don't know if the slide mechanisms are similar or not. My question/observation is this-- In oprning and closing my slides I find that there is often a "tipping" point in the travel where the slide my rock slightly during it's travel. Are you possibly seeing this at all. Also does your slide topper awning retract all the way smoothly? Sometimes they may bind at a certain point and then suddenly tack up the slack with a bang. IF you are getting slack during retraction the material can track inward with the slide and create some "unusual" happenings. If none of this is occuring, sorry for the question but file into memory for possible future use. If it truely is box/frame binding good luck and PLEASE let us all learn from your experience.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #6

Spent a couple hours today trying to find the binding point w/ no luck.

nightriderrv: Thanks for the help. I checked to see if I had roller problems and could not find rollers. The slideout moves in and out with a rack and gear type system and I could not see rollers either under the inside of the slide or looking from the outside in under the slide.

The slideout is a flat floor system when fully deployed or rather extended. When retracted, it sits above the floor about an inch or so. When extending the slide, it first moves out horizontally, then tips up slightly for about 3/4 of the extension, and then goes horizontal for about the last 6 inches to full extension.

I took measurements of the distance between the inside wall of the coach and the slideout flange on both sides of the slideout. The measurments were at 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 of full extension. Both sides of the slideout measured the same distance at the check points indicating that the slideout is moving square to the motorhome outside wall.

I also checked the slideout corners as you suggested and they contact the rig wall at the same time.

cjkroodsma: Thanks for input. Yes my slide does tip up as it deploys and then levels out at the very end. I don't have any kind of movement of the slide when it deploys other than the horizontal movement to the outside. My slide awning is working ok. The bind point is definetly inside the coach at the top of the slide.

Tomorrow I think I'll put some painters tape along the "L" channel that is just inside the inside slideout flange and see where that gets torn off when it gets in a bind. I certainly welcome other suggestions.

Tags
slideout