Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2017, 12:02 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Worth

We have found a 1 owner Holiday Rambler 38PBD with only 38XXX miles on it. It is in descent shape just needs a little TLC (to my standards), gelcoat needs buffed and brought back to life which I can do and also I know this is a 16 year old coach!
He has all the manuals and service records.
Tires are 32/13, house batteries are new Trojans, engine batteries are newer but he didn't remember the age of them. New DS slider toppers, Stove doesn't work??? (not a deal breaker). New hydraulic line to jacks.
Newer residential fridge, new snap and lock flooring. Roof is fiberglass and seamed sealed lately. New Flat screens.
This is our first Class A and this forum has been very helpful in looking to see what I need to look for.
I have looked up the NADA on it and it seems a little high!
I told him if we come to a deal. I would want to spend the biggest part of a day going over it to make sure their isn't any hidden secrets. I wouldn't mind taking it to a Diesel Mechanic and having an oil analysis done on it before the purchase!
Just looking to see what everyone thought what's its worth and if I missed something to look at?
Wright1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2017, 12:16 PM   #2

What model HR is it? Sounds like the owner has made a lot of upgrades to the coach and is probably why he is asking a premium price. Look at what's been done and how well its been done and ask yourself if the upgrades are worth the extra money. Great idea having an expert look especially the engine and tranny over. Have a oil analysis done on the tranny also. We had a Endavor and loved it, we wanted more slides than it had. Good luck.
jim27358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim27358 View Post
What model HR is it? Sounds like the owner has made a lot of upgrades to the coach and is probably why he is asking a premium price. Look at what's been done and how well its been done and ask yourself if the upgrades are worth the extra money. Great idea having an expert look especially the engine and tranny over. Have a oil analysis done on the tranny also. We had a Endavor and loved it, we wanted more slides than it had. Good luck.
It the Endeavor 38PBD
Wright1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wright1 View Post
We have found a 1 owner Holiday Rambler 38PBD with only 38XXX miles on it. It is in descent shape just needs a little TLC (to my standards), gelcoat needs buffed and brought back to life which I can do and also I know this is a 16 year old coach!
He has all the manuals and service records.
Tires are 32/13, house batteries are new Trojans, engine batteries are newer but he didn't remember the age of them. New DS slider toppers, Stove doesn't work??? (not a deal breaker). New hydraulic line to jacks.
Newer residential fridge, new snap and lock flooring. Roof is fiberglass and seamed sealed lately. New Flat screens.
This is our first Class A and this forum has been very helpful in looking to see what I need to look for.
I have looked up the NADA on it and it seems a little high!
I told him if we come to a deal. I would want to spend the biggest part of a day going over it to make sure their isn't any hidden secrets. I wouldn't mind taking it to a Diesel Mechanic and having an oil analysis done on it before the purchase!
Just looking to see what everyone thought what's its worth and if I missed something to look at?
When you take it to the shop, they will be able to pull fluids for testing but will not be able to give you results right there. Those fluids have to be sent off to a lab and you usually get the results in about 24 - 48hrs. once they receive them. You usually always have to supply them with the test kits too. I'd do engine, tranny & rad. IMO, pay particular attention to the rad test results especially if it's rear rad DP. If those test results show signs of trouble, replacing a rear rad is very expensive. If it's a side rad, not nearly as much and easier to get to. Overall maintenance is a lot easier too with a side rad.

http://www.jglubricantservices.com/o...lysis-lab.html

In addition to engine, tranny, and all that, also, have them check all the chassis stuff too, like, suspension, ball joints, seals, front wheel bearing play, U-Joints, air bags, brakes & lines, belts, hoses, lift and high pressure pumps etc. This coach is 16 going on 17 years old, so a lot of the rubber components could be close to the end of their life.

Once they check out all this stuff I then would have a professional inspector check out the actual coach itself and all the systems. Once this is all complete, yeah you can have about 1K in it just to get a good idea of where this coach is—health wise—so be sure this baby is really what you want and the sale is contingent on the inspection.

Once you have the lab reports, shop reports and inspection reports (and also the necessary costs to fix/replace certain things) THEN you'll have a real better picture of what it might be worth, then you can talk about money with the seller and try to come to an $$$ agreement. You are now armed with what you're really facing once you drive away.

I'll tell you a lesson I learned. I drove 3hrs. to see a private seller's DP and we talked over the phone for about an hour before we came up and he swore everything was well maintained, ran good etc. Once we arrived, we took a quick look at it first, then drove it. Came back and I asked him if I could crawl under the chassis on my crawler and have a look. He said sure. So I did and within 15 minutes I discovered both front ball joint boots were blown and had no grease in them, play in the driveshaft as I rocked it back & forth, moved to the back and say the lift pump leaking which to me, that not only needed tending to but once they go the high pressure pump goes too. I crawled out and told him I was going to pass. We were there a total of about 4hrs. If I would of crawled under it first, I total time there would of been 30 minutes and I didn't spend a dime having stuff looked at or inspected.

Lesson learned, don't spend a lot of time or money checking an MH out if you can determine some things right off the bat visually.

https://rvinspection.com
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday rambler