Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2006, 07:44 PM   #1

For those full timing how did you decide on your home base? Where to title the MH etc? Or did you just go with the State you have residence in for most of yout life?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2006, 07:44 PM   #2

For those full timing how did you decide on your home base? Where to title the MH etc? Or did you just go with the State you have residence in for most of yout life?

Old 10-16-2006, 07:24 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

While not yet a full timer I've been following these posts on the TiffinRVnetwork forum. A very popular choice is the Alternative Resources website. THis sets you up as a South Dakota resident. SD has no state income tax, no inheritance tax, no personal property tax etc. It also ranks very low on insurance premiums and vehicle licensing fees. I bvelieve that there is no sales tax on your RV but they do have a 3% excise tax on that purchase.

The Alternative Resources people basically give you an address with a box # in Sioux Falls, SD. This is their building and they can handle all of the mail forwarding, voting ballots for "away" voters, etc. I've noticed a number of SD plates on motorhomes in the campgrounds and many times if you ask them what part of SD they're from, you'll find out that they really aren't, but they use this service.

Again, I don't have any personal experience with them because I can't get out of Dodge for another 10 years until I retire. But I have heard good things about them and it's quite likely we'd go that way. Our other idea is to just move there and set up a minimal home (with a huge RV garage) to base out of.

I'd recommend checking out their site and see if what they have appeals to you.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Depending on what state you alreadyhave legal residence in, in may be worthwhile to switch to another state. South Dakota, Montana,Texas and Florida are popular. SD and MT for tax reasons, FL and TX mostly because they are RV-friendly states that readilyaccomodate part-time residents with their laws and procedures. Depending on your personal situation, other states may work well for you too. Also, Florida has no income tax or motorhome driving license requirement, though a sales tax of 6% will apply to an RV purchase
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:45 PM   #5

Thanks for the information. I see I have some work to do.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:04 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
After much research and considering all the factors(tax, license, insurance, inspections, ease of transfer, etc), South Dakota appeared to work best for us.

Alternative Resources is not the only source for this service in South Dakota, but they are the largest and I think the oldest. We have been with them for five years and have yet to have our first problem. One thing that we can say for them, they know their business and stay abreast of issues that do or would affect us. (Never been with anyone else in SD so must admit my view maybe narrow)
Old 10-18-2006, 06:11 AM   #7

We sold everything in Nevada and drove to SD and Alternative Resources and setup everything.

Nevada wanted $2000 for registration plus sales tax of 7.25 when we bought our coach.We left fast for SD.

We got our licenses, registration and voting all setup through Alt RES. You don't have to go there in person accept for voting registration and drivers licenses.

Go to their web site and it's all explained for you.

SD wanted only $176.00 and 3% excise tax.

We may never go back to SD, because the DW fell in love with SC and the ocean.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:53 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lwmuddy:
.....We may never go back to SD, because the DW fell in love with SC and the ocean. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean South Dakota doesn't have an ocean? I just thought that their beach was a really long walk to get to it.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:14 AM   #9

Just wondering if you considered Texas and if so what was the deciding factor that made you choose SD?

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zimectrin:
After much research and considering all the factors(tax, license, insurance, inspections, ease of transfer, etc), South Dakota appeared to work best for us.

Alternative Resources is not the only source for this service in South Dakota, but they are the largest and I think the oldest. We have been with them for five years and have yet to have our first problem. One thing that we can say for them, they know their business and stay abreast of issues that do or would affect us. (Never been with anyone else in SD so must admit my view maybe narrow) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:22 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes we did look at Texas and Escapes. Believe you have to go to Texas for a Vehicle Saftey Inspection every other year at renewal time. That may or may not have been convienent.

Also, at the time we were researching, Livingston Texas had some voting issues that were on the verge of affecting our status as full timers. It was resolved to the favor of those using Escapes, but at the time concerned us. Alternative Resources keeps a lower profile in a larger city.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:06 AM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
Yankton South Dakota has some real nice beach rv parks and is connected to the Gulf of Mexico.

I've heard good things about Alternative R.
DonavonP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:44 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:
Yankton South Dakota has some real nice beach rv parks and is connected to the Gulf of Mexico.

I've heard good things about Alternative R. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stayed at an RV park in Southern Illinois overnight recently. They're website said they had a beach--turned out to be a truckload of sand spread out on one side of a pond so small, I'd call it a puddle.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:47 AM   #13

We use TN. Previous residence, kept us from having to change everything to another state. Like TN, no income tax, tag all vehicles for $24 per year each, no tag needed for cargo trailer. State is close by our travels in case we need to go there. Works for us.