Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2014, 09:18 PM   #1

Home Garage RV Storage Issue

My Metal Building Garage has 14 foot side walls with a 12x12 foot garage door.

My metal building contractor can increase the height of the garage door to a max. of 13 feet. Width increase to 14 foot.

I'm looking to purchase a pre-owned Class A Coach.
The three manufactures that I'm considering all have a overall height of
12 ft. 10 in. including the A/C units, but one manufacture states that with a satellite antenna to add 5 in. Overall height would than be 13 ft. 3 in.

My Question is regarding the air suspension. Assuming that the coaches overall height is measured with the air suspension set at max. pressure.

Letting the air out of the suspension would lower the coach?

How much lower?

If lowered can the coach be driven (walking speed to park in garage) without any issues?

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2014, 09:30 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Put a 2 foot concrete pony wall and anchor the building to it and now it will be 2 feet higher.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Lowering the coach with the air bags really isn't a viable option for a number of reasons, most of which result in costly damage. Do yourself a favor and look at other options.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:40 PM   #4

I thought lowering the coach with the air bags would be a viable option for me, too. However, after seeing how they operate, I wouldn't recommend it as regular practice. On mine (07 Journey), it is a fine line between keeping them dumped and enough air pressure to drive, all while making sure you don't rub a tire. You would have to hold the dump valve while trying to drive, etc. Pretty risky endeavor.

Jeff
Old 05-26-2014, 10:48 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
My advice....take a tape measure every time you go looking at MH's. Our 40X40 shop only gave me 38.7" on the interior to the inside of the garage door. The MH we ended up with is 38.5". So measure your garage door opening with the garage door up. Then measure the MH to the top of any appliances. You'll be glad you did.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:54 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat View Post
Lowering the coach with the air bags really isn't a viable option for a number of reasons, most of which result in costly damage. Do yourself a favor and look at other options.

I dump mine all the time getting into my garage and have never had any issues. It could be that some brands of Motorhomes would put the driveshaft in a bind. Dump the bags and crawl under and check the driveshaft angle for a bind .
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I dump mine all the time getting into my garage and have never had any issues. It could be that some brands of Motorhomes would put the driveshaft in a bind. Dump the bags and crawl under and check the driveshaft angle for a bind .
Chuck,

How do you visually see a bind?

Jeff
Old 05-27-2014, 01:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizzer View Post
I thought lowering the coach with the air bags would be a viable option for me, too. However, after seeing how they operate, I wouldn't recommend it as regular practice. On mine (07 Journey), it is a fine line between keeping them dumped and enough air pressure to drive, all while making sure you don't rub a tire. You would have to hold the dump valve while trying to drive, etc. Pretty risky endeavor.

Jeff
I can't on my Monaco dump my air bags and expect to drive the vehicle. the tire clearance is actually touching at the top so for me it's not even an option. If you actually can lower your unit some and still move the vehicle-- you can do something few rigs will do. I'd be concerned that one time something might go wrong and you'd wish you hadn't tried that.
I have a pole building with 16 foot side walls and a full 14 foot roll up door my rig goes in with room to spare--in fact one day I drove my rig into the building with the tv ant up and cleared by several inches. I was in awe of my mistake!-- But glad I didn't tear it off.
Loren
Old 05-27-2014, 02:12 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizzer View Post
Chuck,

How do you visually see a bind?

Jeff

If you saw the U joints at a large angle it might be a problem. I can 't imagine having a coach drop so low with the bags deflated. However I have read posts that said the engine pan was almost on the ground. If that were the case, I'm pretty sure bad things could happen if you were to move it.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:07 AM   #10

Thanks to all that Replied

Raising the building is an option that was discussed with my contractor.
The building is 44 x 55 feet. Can be done. Costly.

One of the issues in my area (south of I-10) is all the new building codes in place after Hurricane Katrina. My building is 20 years old. Strong, but not to new code.

I will explore other options.

I was thinking out of the box, lowering the coach.

Thanks again, to all!
Old 05-27-2014, 06:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops2 View Post
Put a 2 foot concrete pony wall and anchor the building to it and now it will be 2 feet higher.
Thats what I would do. Our shop is 80x80 on a 4 ft stem wall to mke it 24 ft side walls. I want to raise our machine shed by 3 ft but its 200 x70.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:10 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Find a qualified garage door contractor and have them measure for a "Dual Track" garage door rail. My contractor gave me 13' 9" against a 14' ceiling, and the door opens completely flat above the coach!
Old 05-27-2014, 08:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chackbay View Post
Thanks to all that Replied

Raising the building is an option that was discussed with my contractor.
The building is 44 x 55 feet. Can be done. Costly.

One of the issues in my area (south of I-10) is all the new building codes in place after Hurricane Katrina. My building is 20 years old. Strong, but not to new code.

I will explore other options.

I was thinking out of the box, lowering the coach.

Thanks again, to all!
Can you lower the floor? Also, if the approach to the garage isn't flat, you may need even more clearance.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does your shed have a flat roof or a peak roof? If a peak, you might regrade the entry down a foot or more to clear the door header.....once inside, back to level and you could have room to park with clearance.

Tags
storage