Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2016, 07:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
i used to think fleetwood is a mid-high level coach, now i have to think twice. getting rid of the valve for city water fill does not save much money but clearly this is a cut-corners. really odd...
then another post sometime ago said his coach does not have a gravity fill port but city only... gosh, couldn't believe it .
CountryFit
Many RVs, (even some "mid to high end" RVs), have no gravity fill port.
Those RVs have ONLY a city water connection ...and can ONLY be filled with pressurized water from a hose:

RV WATER HOSE INLET

RV WATER WATER HOSE INLET

Some RV water tanks can ONLY be filled via a gravity fill port:

RV GRAVITY FILL PORT

GRAVITY FILL PORT

However on many RVs, (even some "low end" RVs), the fresh water tank can be filled either way:

HOSE AND GRAVITY WATER FILLER

Mel
'96 Safari

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 08:21 AM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
Just so happens I have 2 coaches setting in my yard one with this option and other does not. The Holiday Rambler has it.
Locate where the city water tees into the line from the 12v pump, down stream from that tee (supply going into coach) install a tee for tank fill and a shutoff valve in the main line (valve is after the tank fill tee). Install a tee in line from tank to 12v pump inlet. Run a line from the 2 new tees with a shutoff valve in that line. To fill tank- shutoff valve of main line going into coach and open the valve on the newly installed "tank fill" line. There should be a check valve in the 12v pump to keep water from back flowing but equal water pressure on each side of the pump should prevent this anyway. If in doubt an addition shutoff valve in line to or from the pump could be installed. The Holiday Rambler has a separate line going into tank for the city water tank fill but a Coachman I had previously was teed into the supply/inlet line to the pump.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:34 AM   #17

OK, I just looked at it ans sketched it out. I had the dealer install a siphon kit that has a three way valve between the tank and the inlet to the pump for putting antifreeze into the water lines. If i connected this siphon line to the city water downstream of the whole unit filter I could back fill the fresh water tank. I attached a sketch to show what I am thinking.

Let me know if I am missing something but this doesn't sound that hard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160710_112212.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	132590  
Old 07-10-2016, 06:50 PM   #18

Thinking a little more and that will not work, the siphon valve only has two positions.
1. Straight through from tank to inlet of pump and
2. From siphon line to inlet to pump.

I don't think there is a position from siphon to tank, but should be easy to see if that position exists I should be able to turn it to a position that drains the tank.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:32 AM   #19

From another thread here at irv2.com. How Winnebago does it:

(Although I think the tank fill valve isn't drawn correctly. One "problem" with Winnebago's system is that the tank fill valve will let the water pump recirculate water into the tank if left on. This diagram wouldn't do that. I believe Winnebago uses a simple shutoff in the fill line, not a three way valve.)

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:57 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
My Excel 5th wheel has a line "t'd" into the city water connection that goes to a ball valve and then to another "t" in the line between the 12 volt pump and the freshwater tank. Turn the valve on and the tank fills from the pump inlet line. Pretty simple really, if you can get to everything.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:31 AM   #21

Wouldn't it be possible to just put a bypass around the pump?

If you have city water connected, it's pressured to the outlet of the pump I think (correct me if I'm wrong).

The pump is it's own non-return valve, so you can't push backwards through the pump, but if you put a bypass loop around it, you would be able to open the loop and city pressure water would fill the tank from the bottom.

You would still need a vent or open the gravity fill on the outside to allow it to vent while filling.

Both my fills are on the same side, so this mod is a long way down my 'wants' list. I haven't actually checked if my supposition about the city water reaching the pump outlet is actually true .

Steve
stevemoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:41 AM   #22

I've got a 2015 Fleetwood Coach (Discovery) and it does have a convenient valve which provides this type of capability directly from the city water connection. As stated by several posters, the fact that such a feature is missing from the OPs coach was probably simply a cost savings.
HTH
LittleBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:59 AM   #23

Pump By-Pass

Pump By-pass

Our old bounder was setup with the Pump By-Pass for filling the fresh from the city line. Updated the drawing to show it.
BuckyBounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:00 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemoores View Post
Wouldn't it be possible to just put a bypass around the pump?

If you have city water connected, it's pressured to the outlet of the pump I think (correct me if I'm wrong).

The pump is it's own non-return valve, so you can't push backwards through the pump, but if you put a bypass loop around it, you would be able to open the loop and city pressure water would fill the tank from the bottom.

You would still need a vent or open the gravity fill on the outside to allow it to vent while filling.

Both my fills are on the same side, so this mod is a long way down my 'wants' list. I haven't actually checked if my supposition about the city water reaching the pump outlet is actually true .

Steve
That's exactly what is going on in my case Steve. Just that the source for the shore water hookup is not real close to the pump. Essentially, whenever your on shore water (city) you have pressure against the pump outlet. The pump has a check valve to take care of itself.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:12 PM   #25

Filling Tanks

There should not be a problem adding a tee between the tank and drain valve and that may be the easiest option. The other option would be pump suction, which is usually a small flexible pipe and would be slower fill rate. Adding a check valve is not really a need, since the tank is never pressurized. If the tank is over filled the water will come out of the fill line. Unless you are boondocking you don't need a full tank if that seems to be a problem. Go for it!
Old 07-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyBounder View Post
Pump By-pass

Our old bounder was setup with the Pump By-Pass for filling the fresh from the city line. Updated the drawing to show it.
Our '08 Bounder has that, too. The only thing about it that I'm not in love with is that the city water hookup is in the same compartment as the connections for shore power, sewer hose, and san-t-flush. It's just a few inches away from the san-t-flush connector. Fleetwood, what could possible go wrong??

Being very careful about things like that, I wipe the city water connection down with a disinfecting wipe or hand sanitizer regularly, and drink bottled water. The first thing I did when I bought the MH (used) was disinfect the water tank.
bluegiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:12 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
From another thread here at irv2.com. How Winnebago does it:

(Although I think the tank fill valve isn't drawn correctly. One "problem" with Winnebago's system is that the tank fill valve will let the water pump recirculate water into the tank if left on. This diagram wouldn't do that. I believe Winnebago uses a simple shutoff in the fill line, not a three way valve.)
This is how my 2012 Tour is. At the inlet for City Water you can flip the switch to Tank Fill. However it takes a while for the tank to fill this way. I often just take the fill plug out of the tank and fill it in a few minutes. The Fill Plug is easily accessible and I can visually see when the tank is full as I removed the cover panel that came with the coach.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:18 PM   #28

BuckyBounder has it right. If you put a bypass around the water pump by installing a tee in the pump inlet and a tee in the pump outlet and connect the two through a hand valve, I suggest a PVC ball valve, you will have a tank fill.

When the MH is connected to city water all the lines on the outlet of the pump are at city water pressure (or the reduced water pressure that comes out of your pressure reducer). The pump has a check valve built in so as not to back flow water through the pump and inadvertently over fill the water tank. By bypassing the pump you flow water into the tank through the same line the pump uses to draw water from the tank. You will want to shut the water pump off when you fill the tank.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water