Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2016, 02:34 PM   #29

I just came across this thread and wanted to chip in my 2 cents. While I had to do some work on my MH last year I added the ability to fill my fresh water tank from the city inlet. Here is a preliminary pic of what I did and I will uncover the other connections for a clearer view as soon as possible. The area is under the couch/bed, and water tank that I had removed to replace some floor and make repairs. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151116_124702.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	133703  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #30

grumpy g,

Your picture shows what I described in my pump bypass description. The "fresh water tank fill from city water connection" valve is installed to bypass the water pump. Good post!

Old 07-20-2016, 03:17 PM   #31

Water Fill Option

Hi, I saw your post. there is a new product that will do what you want and more and it's $59.95.

go see RV – Aqua View, Inc.

pplwizard
Old 07-20-2016, 03:21 PM   #32

fill valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
I know a lot of the higher end motorhomes have the ability to fill the fresh water tank from the city water connection. Mine does not and I have to drag the hose around to the Pax side of the coach to put water into the tank. Seems it would not be that hard to add a fill line and valve from the city water downstream from the filter and hook it up to the fresh water tank.

Has anyone done this with success, doesn't seem it would be that hard.
I have done this on several units that I owned. Put a tee in the city water line (after the filter), ran that to a shutoff valve, then to another tee in the water tank drain line - upstream of the drain valve. Then, simply hook up to city water, open the valve and when the tank is full, close the valve. Simple as that. Good luck!
handyman1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:45 PM   #33

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fill Valve - CAUTION

My coach has the fill valve built in but, it also has something else that I'm not sure whether coaches without the valve have. That is a vent/overfill tube. When filling the tank I know that it is full because water will exit from the vent/overfill tube. If your coach does not have the vent/overfill tube you might run the risk of pressuring your tank and possibly damaging it.

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:06 PM   #34

why not both?

I would like to have both options for myself. There are times when I'm boondocking with no "city" water hookups around so being able to pour water into my tank would be great.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:13 PM   #35

Damon Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via MSN to chwhnd
It is a simple solution. What you need is a path from the pressure side of the pump through a valve to the inlet side of the pump. When hooked to city water your pump should be off. Then all you do is open the valve and watch for the overflow to come out the gravity fill. I have actually done this. Remember you can place the valve where ever you want.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:48 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyBounder View Post
Pump By-pass

Our old bounder was setup with the Pump By-Pass for filling the fresh from the city line. Updated the drawing to show it.
Now that is just way too simple. Thanks for the idea.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyBounder View Post
Pump By-pass

Our old bounder was setup with the Pump By-Pass for filling the fresh from the city line. Updated the drawing to show it.
If I still made the connection downstream of the filter I would be filtering the water I out 8n the fresh water tank. I would try to locate the physical fill valve near the tank on the pax side so I could tell when the tank was full. But it work exactly the same
Old 07-21-2016, 03:43 AM   #38

Tim,

Please diagram how you want to use filter with the filling the tank.

If it were me, I'd just buy a campco water filter that you put in line before you connect your hose to the outside of your rig.
BuckyBounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:18 AM   #39

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I still think everyone is missing the city water diverter valve somewhere. As has been stated ours is in the same area as the dump valves, sewer hook up, and outside shower hose. I can't believe an RV was built without the city hook up and valve.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:38 AM   #40

Tim,

Oh, I think I understand now. Pump bypass w/ filter

This should work too.
BuckyBounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:42 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemoores View Post
Wouldn't it be possible to just put a bypass around the pump?

If you have city water connected, it's pressured to the outlet of the pump I think (correct me if I'm wrong).

The pump is it's own non-return valve, so you can't push backwards through the pump, but if you put a bypass loop around it, you would be able to open the loop and city pressure water would fill the tank from the bottom.

You would still need a vent or open the gravity fill on the outside to allow it to vent while filling.

Both my fills are on the same side, so this mod is a long way down my 'wants' list. I haven't actually checked if my supposition about the city water reaching the pump outlet is actually true .

Steve
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Go watch this video: https://youtu.be/cyf85j-Xe7o
Old 07-21-2016, 09:31 AM   #42

some additional info...

The picture I posted earlier in this thread is only a partial.
- Can fill from the gravity filler or the city water, the system is vented and the overflow will go out the original fresh water drain (they are tied together, with a valve at the drain port).
- I have valves at the pump inlet and output, only because I don't trust the pump.
- I have a winterizing tube, also on a valve that is on the fresh water supply line to the pump.
- The original fresh water line to the sinks and toilet is now a two way line that now brings the city water to the fresh water tank when on city water, or carries water from the fresh water from the tank.

And as soon as I can I will post a pic showing the entire modification.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water