Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #43

Home Made Fresh Water Tank Fill

I the other problem with my Holiday Rambler Vacationer, no gravity fill! We dry camp at National Forest CG all the time with no water hookups so I took a water pump and put a garden hose adapter on a piece of tubing and then draft from a water container is kind of slow but at least I don't have to stand there and pore water into a gravity fill. The fifth wheel I had before had a gravity fill but it was under a storage compartment door and had to get my wife to hold a funnell with an extention on it to pore water into it so this is where I came up with the pump idea, I just pumped into the gravity fill hose.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2016, 11:59 PM   #44

Go watch this video: https://youtu.be/cyf85j-Xe7o

I have this and it solves your problem. You can fill you tank without going out side the RV.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:20 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
I have the gravity fill which is the thin flexible hose you stick a garden hose into, (no threaded connection) that is located on the Passenger side, and the city water connection (threaded) on the drivers side.

Hooking up to the city water connection does not fill the fresh water tank, unless there is a valve somewhere I am missing that would feed the filtered water to it.

I will double check the manual again but I don't think this cross connection exists on my coach.

Anyone else with a late model Storm, Terra, or Flair that can help educate me?
My Storm doesn't have a fill valve either. I just use a "Y" which I have on the outlet of the water filter which hooks up to the pedestal faucet. I hook up 1 hose which runs to the city water connection and another 25' hose which usually is rolled up and hangs on the pedestal. We use the extra hose for all sorts of things. If I want to fill my fresh water tank I simply unroll the hose, slide it into the tank fill and turn the water on.
My water tank is in the last compartment back on the passengers side and the filler is on the rear. I open the compartment door and I can watch the water level as the tank fills.
How much easier could it be?
Lynn
Old 07-23-2016, 07:44 AM   #46

When you make your hookup make sure the FW tank stays vented otherwise you will over pressurize the tank when filling with water.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:52 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
I know a lot of the higher end motorhomes have the ability to fill the fresh water tank from the city water connection. Mine does not and I have to drag the hose around to the Pax side of the coach to put water into the tank. Seems it would not be that hard to add a fill line and valve from the city water downstream from the filter and hook it up to the fresh water tank.

Has anyone done this with success, doesn't seem it would be that hard.
I did it to my Fleetwood Bounder, first you need to put a pipe between the inlet and outlet of the pump, easy enough put 2 tee fittings one on the inlet one on the outlet, put a 90degree ball valve in the straight pipe, the pipe the other side of the outlet tee needs another tee with a short piece of pipe and another ball valve, this valve needs a connector that you can hook up to mains water, if there is no non return valve fitted to the inlet side of your pump then you need to fit another ball valve to the pipe from the tank, so you should have water tank, ball valve tee fitting, 1 leg into inlet side of pump, short pipe into ball valve, short pipe into tee, 1 leg into outlet side of pump the other side short pipe into tee the other side to vehicle water system, the third outlet fit another ball valve with a connector for mains water. When you hook up turn off the ball valve from the tank & the bypass valve on the pump & open the mains inlet valve, to fill tank open pump bypass & tank valves & the tank will fill up, be sure to remove the filler cap as you could burst the tank, when full close mains ball valve & pump bypass valves & refit filler cap. If I new how I would have put a sketch on but I hope you get the drift.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:10 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazEnglander View Post
I did it to my Fleetwood Bounder, first you need to put a pipe between the inlet and outlet of the pump, easy enough put 2 tee fittings one on the inlet one on the outlet, put a 90degree ball valve in the straight pipe, the pipe the other side of the outlet tee needs another tee with a short piece of pipe and another ball valve, this valve needs a connector that you can hook up to mains water, if there is no non return valve fitted to the inlet side of your pump then you need to fit another ball valve to the pipe from the tank, so you should have water tank, ball valve tee fitting, 1 leg into inlet side of pump, short pipe into ball valve, short pipe into tee, 1 leg into outlet side of pump the other side short pipe into tee the other side to vehicle water system, the third outlet fit another ball valve with a connector for mains water. When you hook up turn off the ball valve from the tank & the bypass valve on the pump & open the mains inlet valve, to fill tank open pump bypass & tank valves & the tank will fill up, be sure to remove the filler cap as you could burst the tank, when full close mains ball valve & pump bypass valves & refit filler cap. If I new how I would have put a sketch on but I hope you get the drift.
There you have it. That all sounds much simpler than unrolling 10' of hose, putting it into the fill port and turning the water on.
Lynn
Old 07-24-2016, 05:27 AM   #49

Addendum to BazEnglanders reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
There you have it. That all sounds much simpler than unrolling 10' of hose, putting it into the fill port and turning the water on.
Lynn
When I modified my bounder I took the time to run fill pipes to both sides of the vehicle mainly for convenience.

Bazzer
Old 07-24-2016, 12:59 PM   #50

So in this thread you have all the information needed to fill both ways. Fortunately my coach has both, so I just choose to do the gravity fill, that is I stick the hose in the hole and turn the water on, a nice big 5/8" stream fills the tank in a rather short time.

If I were to do the city water hookup method, I'm plumed with 1/2" pex tubing, which is larger than 3/8"id. Then you add a series of fittings and valves that have about a 1/4"id, we would still be hear waiting for it to fill.

I preferred the hose so I can get on the road.😎
Old 07-24-2016, 01:06 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
So in this thread you have all the information needed to fill both ways. Fortunately my coach has both, so I just choose to do the gravity fill, that is I stick the hose in the hole and turn the water on, a nice big 5/8" stream fills the tank in a rather short time.

If I were to do the city water hookup method, I'm plumed with 1/2" pex tubing, which is larger than 3/8"id. Then you add a series of fittings and valves that have about a 1/4"id, we would still be hear waiting for it to fill.

I preferred the hose so I can get on the road.��
No Kidding!
Thank You
Lynn
Old 07-24-2016, 02:47 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post

I preferred the hose so I can get on the road.😎
Our entry level Sunova has both as well. The funny thing is, i've never used the city connection to fill the tank. Sure, it would be nice just turning the little valve but in the back of my mind, i always think there's a possibility of over pressurizing the tank or making a leak somewhere. In our case, the gravity fill is on the same side of the coach so it's easy to put the hose into the gravity fill. As you said, it fills faster this way anyway.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:46 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Our entry level Sunova has both as well. The funny thing is, i've never used the city connection to fill the tank. Sure, it would be nice just turning the little valve but in the back of my mind, i always think there's a possibility of over pressurizing the tank or making a leak somewhere. In our case, the gravity fill is on the same side of the coach so it's easy to put the hose into the gravity fill. As you said, it fills faster this way anyway.
Hence:- Remove the filler cap to avoid blowing the tank.
Bazzer.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:02 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Lynn
The other thing I did with my Bounder was to put another valve alongside the inlet hook up on the left side & teed in to the feed pipe which allows me to connect a wash down hose when on mains water, you can also use it when on tank supply with the pump, the locker where the black & grey drain down is also has a pump switch which is handy.

Bazzer.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:19 PM   #55

I added the crossover line and valve to my Storm this weekend.

First thing I did which turned out to be the hardest part was to fish a new blue PEX line alongside the existing line that runs between the fresh water tank and the suction side of the water pump. I ended up cutting the tubing into a point so it would slide by obstructions rather than get hung up on them.

Next item was to install a tee in the line downstream of the whole coach filter. This way even the city water I put into the fresh water tank has been run through the filter. One end of my cross over line attached to this tee.

I then installed a tee in the line between the fresh water tank and the suction side of the pump near the freshwater tank. I attached the other end of the crossover line to this tee with a shut off valve to control the flow of water to the tank. This location allows me to see the level of water in the tank as I fill it.

When I tested the connections I just cracked the spigot at the hose a little bit. After successful testing of the lines I opened the spigot up and filling of the tank took about 10 minutes.

See the pictures.

The best part of all this is that one of my suppliers gave me the tubing, fittings, valve and let me borrow a crimp tool. I did have to buy some cutters and clamps to hold secure the valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160813_115335.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	135947   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160813_115346.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	135948  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160813_115355.jpg