Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I wish I had the jacks to level my MH
I am thinking about the plywood to make ramps out of to level the MH, I think that I would need 2x4's under the plywood so the plywood won't worp, I am thinking ea one a 2x16 for the rears Do you think that will work. I don't have the $4000.00 to have jacks installed.
Do a search for homemade air bags. I made one for use on my 5th wheel. It was made from a 10 inch pvc flat discharge hose. Put it under the wheel that needed leveling and then just took a small air compressor and aired it up. Had no problem with the 5th wheel. Not sure about the weight of a MH but might be worth a try. Pretty easy to make. If you are interested and cannot find the instructions for how to make them message me and I will tell you. The post I saw on how to make them was very good with pics and much better details than I could give.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #30

Wow! some really high tech pads being used. I scrounge new home build sites for the scrap lumber cuts usually thrown in a pile out front of the new house. All kinds of sizes and quality of wood. Especially like the sandwich board used for the main roof beams to use for jack pads, and longer pieces under the tires during winter storage. Smaller sized wood like 2x4, 2x6, and 2x8's is cut up and usedfor camp fires, but I also have enough pieces to carry an assortment of sizes to level in any circumstance.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
These are made out of 2 x 12" lumber covered with 5/8" plywood. The screws are around the periphery of the wood so the tires never hit a screw. The ends are tapered for easy roll-up and each piece is a little longer than the others. This is what I use at the stick house.

For the field (on travel) I have two 16" pieces and 4 12" inch or so pieces. I also carry some of those plastic square pieces for additional height, or smaller heights as the plastic pieces are an inch or so. Give me some latitude. I can also use those smaller 12" lengths for under the jacks if the ground is soft. The ones I carry for on-the-road are about the same as the top one in the ramp picture.

I have been using these same ramps and on-the-road pieces for 5 years now without any major cracking. The plywood is very flexible being that it is laminated and holds everything together.
I really like these and is exactly the way I was thinking to make mine. What is the total length of the bottom Board?
For my old MH I have very limited space in the basement storage to store them so mine might not be that long.
Thank you,tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #32

Being new to class A, I have to ask a question:

Are the leveling jacks systems on our MH's meant and able to jack the entire MH off the ground? Can they, with proper pads be used to change wheels and tires?

TIA
Old 10-31-2013, 08:36 AM   #33

Bad Bolt, yes they/you can in a pinch or to lift to put a jack stand underneath. I would never crawl under a rig only on it hydraulic jacks. Couple of seasons ago my wife and I arrived at a COE campground near Wellsboro, PA. Noticed a screw sticking out of my curb side front tire. On check out day during breakfast I called my Good Sam Roadside Service. Timed perfectly to when we pulled out from the campsite the repair truck arrived to meet us in the parking lot. However, even though I told the TA repair center the type of vehicle I had and tire size, the truck that arrived only had huge jacks to lift a semi. Would not fit under my Allegro. I calmly asked the sweating mechanic if he would like me to raise the wheel up. Put a couple of blocks of wood under the right front jack and up she went. Now to get the wheel off. Tech had no sockets under 1"! Had to give him my 15/16" socket and 1/2' breaker bar. He did have a long pipe extension to put over the breaker bar though. He did do a nice job mounting the screwed tire (hahaha!) on the rear tire carrier (2000 Allegro). Cause it was 94 degrees and humid and he drove 2 1/2 hours to get to me I still tipped the kid $20.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:50 AM   #34
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I really like these and is exactly the way I was thinking to make mine. What is the total length of the bottom Board?
For my old MH I have very limited space in the basement storage to store them so mine might not be that long.
Thank you,tim
Bottom board 44", middle board 28", top board 22". The ones I carry with me are 16" with two a little shorter for the jacks.

There was no rhyme or reason for the length of the stick house boards. It just happened to come out that way.

One thing that is of a most definite concern is when you get up on the top board. You darn well better have someone guiding you on the side of the driver's window and have one foot on the brake and the other on the gas pedal. You really don't want to roll off the end. You may wish to put a stop on the back side.

A very slow climb is necessary, and then you can feel each rise. Once you hit that third rise you stop immediately and let the ground guide move you back an inch at a time.

Running up on those boards is not for the faint of heart, or wandering minds.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Our camping partners have an 85 Winnebago Brave and John adapted the scissors style jacks to his unit for leveling. The 2 X 2 receiver trailer hitch setup was modified with two slide in inserts that have the jacks attached. The front units are similar but are slid onto the frame at deployment. An 18 volt impact wrench supplies the power and when everything is down his setup is just as firm and solid as our HWH equipped unit.
While staying at my Brothers Hobby Farm on a beautiful Lake this summer, he suggested that I try a Bottle Jack under the trailer hitch???. But he got the last laugh because it worked...
So I up did it by using a 6x6 to set the bottle jack on and then while walking along the RR tracks by his farm I found a piece of Iron/steel that goes under the tracks (6"x10" 1/2 inch thick Heavy also) and put that on the top of the bottle jack under another 6x6 and under the 2 I beams under the MH. It really works great to battle the swaying in the MH.
geesh maybe just buy some new shocks...

ps, this was all free
Old 10-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Bottom board 44", middle board 28", top board 22". The ones I carry with me are 16" with two a little shorter for the jacks.

There was no rhyme or reason for the length of the stick house boards. It just happened to come out that way.

One thing that is of a most definite concern is when you get up on the top board. You darn well better have someone guiding you on the side of the driver's window and have one foot on the brake and the other on the gas pedal. You really don't want to roll off the end. You may wish to put a stop on the back side.

A very slow climb is necessary, and then you can feel each rise. Once you hit that third rise you stop immediately and let the ground guide move you back an inch at a time.

um I already had that problem driving up on my KarKatty with my 99 deville. What a Pain in the ash getting it back over..
Never again
sorry about the smilies I think there kind of fun
Old 10-31-2013, 11:31 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
While staying at my Brothers Hobby Farm on a beautiful Lake this summer, he suggested that I try a Bottle Jack under the trailer hitch???. But he got the last laugh because it worked...
So I up did it by using a 6x6 to set the bottle jack on and then while walking along the RR tracks by his farm I found a piece of Iron/steel that goes under the tracks (6"x10" 1/2 inch thick Heavy also) and put that on the top of the bottle jack under another 6x6 and under the 2 I beams under the MH. It really works great to battle the swaying in the MH.
geesh maybe just buy some new shocks...

ps, this was all free
John's add ons go one on each end of the trailer hitch mounting and the other two have "U" shaped structural pieces that slip over the front Square beam and when he sets up he has the ability to level the unit completely, having a jack on each corner. Next time I see his MH I'll take pictures of his setup for you.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #38

jack pads

made mine out of flooring from flooring found in airliners, all four less than 3 lbs
Old 12-27-2014, 08:33 AM   #39

Lost plans

I searched last year for homemade wood leveling pads and found a nice plan for laminated, treated plywood with treated wood sandwiched in the middle, screwed together. They worked great, fit into a plastic document holder, for convenient storage. Unfortunately I ran off and left them on my last trip. Now I can't find them on the internet or in any forum I belong too. Anyone have a clue as to where those plans are? (I got them from a comparison of various leveling pads)
Old 12-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #40
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You could use just 3/4" treated plywood cut in 12" squares. Works for me.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:38 AM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:

I finally got them made (actually last fall) my brother took off one of his corral gate's and gave me it. Made out of 2x12's I cut them in 3 foot sections and 2 foot sections screwed them together then added 2x4 under the 2x12's so they won't split. Heavy yes, and they have to go in the toad truck because of my small basement storage space.
They work great. I have them under the tires now sitting in the driveway.
Tim
Old 12-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Do a search for homemade air bags. I made one for use on my 5th wheel. It was made from a 10 inch pvc flat discharge hose. Put it under the wheel that needed leveling and then just took a small air compressor and aired it up. Had no problem with the 5th wheel. Not sure about the weight of a MH but might be worth a try. Pretty easy to make. If you are interested and cannot find the instructions for how to make them message me and I will tell you. The post I saw on how to make them was very good with pics and much better details than I could give.
I tried to look them up but really didn't have much luck.
Tim