Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2014, 09:05 AM   #43

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Dollar store poly cutting boards work great.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2014, 09:37 AM   #44

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There are two issues here and most of the posts only address one-Changing the height of the wheels/jack pads. The second issue is what condition is the ground under the pads? We camp mostly in Spring and Fall and as such, the ground can be pretty soft. In that case, the pad must be large enough to disperse the weight over a larger area and not bow. Additionally, if you camp in the freezing weather, and do not put a barrier between the ground and the pad, just wait to try and pry up your pad upon departure. All of the ideas are good, just be sure it will address all of your individual specific needs. Been there, done that. One CG was full and our assigned site had a pretty nice slope to it. For a short coach it wouldn't have been too bad, but at 42' I had to drive the duals and tag onto several 2x16x18 and several stacks of them under the rear levelers (stroke not long enough). At least the gound was dry and solid. Been there also. The jack and 16x18 plywood pad just got pressed into the ground.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Need to see this

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Do a search for homemade air bags. I made one for use on my 5th wheel. It was made from a 10 inch pvc flat discharge hose. Put it under the wheel that needed leveling and then just took a small air compressor and aired it up. Had no problem with the 5th wheel. Not sure about the weight of a MH but might be worth a try. Pretty easy to make. If you are interested and cannot find the instructions for how to make them message me and I will tell you. The post I saw on how to make them was very good with pics and much better details than I could give.
Can you include a picture....this sounds interesting even as an emergency device.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:12 PM   #46

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
After I posted just a few times,
I just caught on that the OP was asking about Jack pads not wheel pad's
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:08 PM   #47

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am using 14" laminated floor beams from scraps at commercial build site my friend is the contractor on. Cutting 14 x 14 with 2 by s in middle, covered with stall mat. The rope loop is a great idea I didn't think about before for using the awning hook to place and remove. I'll hopefully have them soon soon!!
PPAinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #48

I made mine out of 1 1/2"x12" laminated beam. I got it from my roof truss supplier as a matter of fact they had a bunch of trim ends that they just gave me. Attached a rope handle and away I go.
G Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:20 PM   #49

I like these ideas very much! I've been thinking about buying jack pads, but now it looks like I have another project at hand. I'll be picking up two 4'x8' sheets of 1" red oak to build the base for a queen walk around conversion. A couple of 12"x12" pieces stacked with a rubber/mat cover should work well.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:00 PM   #50

A suggestion for the rubber mat could be truck mud flaps. Pretty cheap and available at any big truck dealer, NAPA etc.
I carry a couple just to kneel on or quick mat to lay on wet ground
G Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #51

I found a picture of what they look like on a youtube video. Yesterday I bought the wood... Top left image. (It looks like 1/2" plywood laminate, I use 3/4" treated plywood.)

1 minute 2 seconds in the image shows up
mnothstein01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:41 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
While parked here in the RGV under my cover which has a river rock parking I use 4X6X4' to spread the weight. While traveling I use 12X12X4.5 3/4 plywood screwed together. I have the stall mats that I put under the tires now I think I will add that to the jack boards. Thanks for the idea.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:13 PM   #53
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnothstein01 View Post
I found a picture of what they look like on a youtube video. Yesterday I bought the wood..[...] top left image. (It looks like 1/2" plywood laminate, I use 3/4" treated plywood.)

I looked at that video that has the "Utility Block" and noticed two things.

The yellow blocks being used will not support the full surface area of the tire.
The Utility block does not appear to support the full surface area of the tire.

That type if situation can be detrimental to tires. The surface area of a tire should be fully supported by any system used underneath the tire. I don't even know why the make the hex and diagonal shaped pads for tire leveling.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:28 AM   #54

Folks,

This topic appears to be about inexpensive jack pads.

Unfortunately, excellent, very supportive and strong jack pads are quite expensive. They run about $100-$200 each in a 24" X 24" size. They spread the load over the entire area and are made of engineered plastic.

Then it is an inexpensive option to cut up barn mats to gain additional height as needed. They are $40 per 6' X 8' sheet and are 3/4" thick. But they weigh a lot also.

Life is all about compromises!

JohnnyB
Old 12-29-2014, 07:27 AM   #55

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnothstein01 View Post
I found a picture of what they look like on a youtube video. Yesterday I bought the wood... Top left image. (It looks like 1/2" plywood laminate, I use 3/4" treated plywood.)

Thanks for the chuckles this morning at his expense!!!!
I did see myself while running over my wheel chalks, only did that on once... Thanks, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:56 AM   #56

Went to Home Depot. Had them cut up a sheet of 3/4" Treated plywood into 16" squares. Laminated them into (3) layers with cad. plated deck screws and a little wood glue. Screwed an eyebolt into 1 edge. Cut off an old broom handle, and screwed a hook into the end so I can place and remove pads under jacks. You are left with ( 6 ) pcs of plywood which you can use for additional levelling or tire pads.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote